Lip-sync is it an issue

Username: Golf4guy

Post Number: 1
I am trying to decide between a Yamaha 5890 and a Pioneer 1015. The Yami has lip-sync and the Pio does not, is the lip-sync a big issue? Also I have Klipsch KG4 speakers will the Yami be too
bright? Is the Yami worth the extra $$ over the Pio?
My listening is 20% music and 80% movies.

Be gentle, I'm brand new to the forum.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 757
do you notice any delay now on your tv? if not then why bother. i have never noticed a delay so personally dont care for that feature.

Gvenk
Unregistered guest
Whether you will have problems with lipsync depends on how you connect the components. This is usually a problem if the audio or video path goes via multiple components or if one of them goes through more components than the other. If you can tell us how you intend to connect the audio and video units (including your CD/DVD player), then we can give you a better answer.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the feedback, I am planning to connecet the DVD/CD and the DVR/Cablebox to the receiver then to the TV so I can control the input to the TV. If I should do otherwise I'm all ears. I am planning on which receiver to buy for a future DLP purchase. Perhaps the Lip-sync is not that important if not many experience the problem.

Gvenk
Unregistered guest
You should be fine with what you have said (which is what most people do) especially if you are using analog connection to the TV (component/S-video/composite) etc., since the processing by the TV for the analog signal will be quite fast. If you send HDMI/DVI to the TV, then the audio from the receiver/speakers may come a tiny bit sooner than the video displayed on the TV after the signal is processed which is why the delay exists in some receivers.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 177
I have my DVD doing upconversion processing (to 720p) then running on a 35' DVI cable to my projector, which only requires about 60ms of delay to sync things up. For a fairly simple setup like yours, I doubt you'll have much need for delay.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

Username: Doublediamond

Post Number: 1
I have a little different opinion. I'm in the market for a HT receiver as well. I've recently purchased a Samsung HLR6168 (1080p). The upscaling processing of the DLPs does create delay in the video--many others have seen the delay as well. I know of one person who reports leaving his delay set at 110 ms all of the time. So I definitely need to ability to delay the audio on some inputs up to 150 - 200 ms. I'm not considering the Pio for this reason.

(By the way, I'm also planning to drive some "classic" KG4s with my receiver too--if I can ever pull the trigger!)

dd

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 429
That chick on Saturday night live had an issue with it.
What was her name..oh wait, she's gone anyhow.

Post Number: 4
Ok, I did pull the trigger at Best Buy and got the Pioneer 1015 sounds like I should take it back and reload to Yamaha.
Has anybody listened to the Yamaha 5890 with Klipsch speakers? BB will not demo the Yami in their Magnolia center and Good Guys are belly up so no place to test it.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 437
Greg, it might be time to belly up to the bar and find a dealer who will do whay YOU want.
Prices differ, of course, but if the seller will not present what you want to buy, Tell him/her to pound salt, and find a reputable dealer who will put together what you wnt to buy with your hard earned $$$.

This is the time when you determine if you are a consumer or a well informed consumer.

Make the move, man.

Post Number: 5
Nuck, thanks for the good advice and I totally agree, normally I provide the salt with gusto. However in this case in my area there are only Circuit City and Best Buy left. Circuit City is like dealing with the brain dead and all they have is Onkyo and HK. The Good Guys used to be the place for Yamaha but "Sianara". I'll check outside my area for smaller dealers.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 440
I aint afraid of H/K, but I gotta figgur that it starts there.
Online can be a bit dicey, but lots of references here, and other sites.

Dude don't settle for less, You sound like you know that you deserve better.

chemboy
Unregistered guest
I think the yami is the way to go. I am getting ready to purchase the same one and a set of quintet III with sub for my home theater. I have heard a lot of great things about the yami and i think they have the bang for the buck. you can get online at reputable merchants for around 500. Hence i am not going to BB either.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us