Yamaha HTR 5990 or RX-V 1600

Username: Andre18

Post Number: 6
I am online looking at 2 receivers from Yamaha. (HTR 5990 or RX-V 1600) Both are the same price and the specs appear to be the same yet they are 2 different models. Can someone tell me which is better? Thank you.

Bronze Member
Username: Cuylar

MN USA

Post Number: 75
exact same. i got my 5990 from best buy for 900$

Bronze Member

MN USA

Post Number: 76
exact same. i got my 5990 from best buy for 900$

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2254
They appear to be the same but I would buy the RX-V1600 for a number of reasons not the least of which is the service offered by the types of dealers you have to buy the RX-V series from as opposed to the big box stores.

Bronze Member

MN USA

Post Number: 77
$35 to get 4 years coverage. Either way if you need service you won't have a reciever for a week or 2. but only if you have to have it fixed.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2255
Where I shop I never have to do without gear. If something breaks down I get a loaner until the service center (usually the store owner) figures out the issue. Anytime I need info I just call and receive the benefit of a lifetime of expertise. Trade in time I call the store where I bought the gear and trade in for fair value or consign my gear. Do you get these services at Best Buy?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2976
Matt,

I always thought the RX-V were the higher-end Yammie line.

$35 for a 4-year warranty on a $900 receiver is a darn good deal though. I thought that BB simply replaces the product rather than repairs it?

Of course, if you are willing to chance it you can get the 1600 for $767 online, shipped and no sales tax:

http://www.ibuyplasma.com/product/?11259&CFID=18446934&CFTOKEN=18830437

Yamahas are said to be very reliable, unlike HKs or NAD with which people often have QA issues on audio forums like this.

Bronze Member

MN USA

Post Number: 87
Art, be real, where do you shop? How much is the product? I am not promoting Best Buy over another store. It's just a more affordable solution. And yes, any time in those 4 years you have a 50/50 chance of an immeadiate exchange. BUT it will be based on purchase price. So look at it this way.... they cover power surge and any "over amped" damage.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2982
Cuylar,

That's right, I remember replacing a PDA that died on me a few years back from BB, they examined it to see that it really was broken, then gave me full credit on its purchase price towards a new PDA.

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 137
Ya when I worked at BB, i use to just give ppl credit instead of doing the service work over and over....made everyone happier.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2257
"Art, be real, where do you shop?"

Bradford's Home Entertainment, Eugene, Oregon
Northwest Audio Labs, Corvallis, Oregon
Stereotypes, Portland Oregon

I shop at those places mostly. I've known the owners of the first 2 for many years and the owner of Sterotypes for a couple of years.

I bought a DVD player at BB for my bedroom awhile back and it failed. I did get my money back but not until the they had given about as hard a time as they could.

The $35 extended warranty doesn't do me much good when I want to go home and listen to music or watch movies tonight.

Edster, I have heard the same thing, that Yammies are more reliable than some of the other receivers.

Bronze Member

MN USA

Post Number: 94
EXACTLY MY POINT!

I used to work at the local Best Buy. When you know the people who make the decisions you will usually get it in your favor. I have never been disappointed (except for a cell phone exchange) because I know them. I don't get MY items serviced, they get replaced. I posed in service in here because it is the worst case scenario. You are not at a "higher level" because you shop at stores that cannot be found all over the country. Some of us use the resources available. I refuse to shop at the local ultimate electronics, they are too comission hungry for me. I'm not going to put someone down for shopping there tho. For most of you out here that say stuff like "oh your goin to big box stores huh..... you're dumb"

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2264
Service doesn't always mean that you need something fixed or replaced. That's what you learn at a full service audio retailer.

I'm glad that you know the owner of Best Buy and can count on the expertise of the poor blank faced employees. I don't think I've asked a question of a BB or CC employee yet that has been answered. Actually that's not true I asked where the budget DVD bin is and also where the bathroom is both of those were answered accurately. As you can clearly see I do shop at both BB and CC for DVD's.

It's not dumb to seek out good retailers and build relationships that will last you not just through the current purchase but through the future upgrades and inevitable questions. I agree with you that I would not shop somewhere where they act like hungry Piranha out to get a commission. Just the other day I went into a local dealer in Salem just to see if this would be a good dealer to build a relationship with. As soon as it was apparent that I was not going to buy anything that day they lost interest and were difficult to get info from. Coincidentally the employees were from the same age group that you usually find working at BB and CC. In the end we each spend our own money as we wish and there ain't nothin' wrong with that.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1269
The HTR series is the wattered down version,they have smaller power supplies capcitors and everything they are inferior to the RX-V in many ways,I know of atleast 3 people who had problems with those units.Just listen to both of them and you will be able to tell a difference,actually i'd advise against the HTR,you are much better off with the RX-V,its better it dont cost more for nothing,give Yamaha a call and they will gladly tell you difference.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 755
Good way to see the difference is to look at the weight - the difference was much more apparant in recent years with the HTR series weighing 8-10lbs less.

RXV-1600 - 38.4 lbs
HTR-5990 - 37.0 lbs

They may share the same specs, but from Yamaha those mean practically nothing, the build quality is better in the RXV line.

Silver Member

MN USA

Post Number: 102
1.4lbs? You have to be joking right? You think 1.4lbs of equipment difference is really what would make this better. I wonder if it is a weighing issue.....

Kalhans
Unregistered guest
Can I find a good reliable Yamaha receiver for under 300 bucks? Who makes better budget receivers. I want a 6.1/7.1 receiver. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 447
The 1.4 lbs. was styrofoam peanuts for shipping.
Oy vay.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 757
If the 1.4 lbs difference is solely in the power supply, I'd say it would make a difference.

tarooka
Unregistered guest
The Yamaha web site explains that the receivers are exactly the same. They do this for marketing and channel reasons. The weight could be the type of packaging and I doubt it is anything to do with components.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1311
Its deffinetly in power supplies and that makes a big difference.Thats like the Philadelphia Eagles playing without T.O. So if you think that 1.4 pounds is not a difference than good luck to you,and I'll see you on here complaining that something is wrong with the HTR in the near future.

Silver Member

MN USA

Post Number: 120
Called yamaha, tech support said its the same product. Different models for different retailors. They both use the same power supply. If serviced they would both get the same parts.... you tell me what's different? If you don't want to take my word, call them yourselves.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2333
The sound is different from what I'm hearing. But who really cares if you like yours that's great. I would still encourage folks to buy the RX-V series due to the types of retailers they will deal with. That's enough of a difference for me.

Silver Member

MN USA

Post Number: 124
very good point. shop where you can trust.

Bronze Member
Username: Rushwj

Post Number: 23
just looking at them on the website, the RX-V sereies looks much better (clean visual presentation). the look of the receiver is enough of a tie-breaker for me if they really are the same product on the inside. but hey, make up your own minds on what looks best.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us