Paradigm or Klipsch?

frank1203
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I am considering both the Paradigm Studio 100's or the Klipsch R-7's. The price range is somewhat comparable. I would appreciate your opinion on which is the better speaker. I am most likely going to drive theses speakers with a Rotel 1067 surround sound Receiver. Thank you.

Anonymous

Have you or can you listen to either speaker?

mike993214
Unregistered guest
I'd have to say the Klipsch speakers are better. Not that I really like Klipsch (they sound a little to bright for me) but large Paradigm speakers generally aren't braced and have a resonant note to the bass. Paradigm also likes to cut corners during the manufacturing, too. They design their speakers around how many boxes they can make with the sheets of wood that they use. Also, when they cut the boxes, they don't cut them and glue them, a blade comes down and cuts the wood so that glue can be poured into the cracks and the box can be folded up. :|

You're safe to but smaller speakers by Paradigm though. Apart from the resonant bass note, the Paradigms dont sound too bad, but there sounds like theres something missing in the 3-5khz range (to me anyways).

mike993214
Unregistered guest
I'd have to say the Klipsch speakers are better. Not that I really like Klipsch (they sound a little to bright for me) but large Paradigm speakers generally aren't braced and have a resonant note to the bass. Paradigm also likes to cut corners during the manufacturing, too. They design their speakers around how many boxes they can make with the sheets of wood that they use. Also, when they cut the boxes, they don't cut them and glue them, a blade comes down and cuts the wood so that glue can be poured into the cracks and the box can be folded up. :|

You're safe to but smaller speakers by Paradigm though. Apart from the resonant bass note, the Paradigms dont sound too bad, but there sounds like theres something missing in the 3-5khz range (to me anyways).

mike993214
Unregistered guest

Frank1203
Unregistered guest
In response to your question - I ave listened to both speakers. I find them eqially good, but if I had to pick one, it would be the Paradigm

Anonymous

Then pick that. They are obviously both very good speakers, but they both make compromises. In the end you have to pick the speaker whose compromises offend you the least. If that is the Paradigm, by all means get the Paradigm.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 358
that isnt true that the larger paradigm speakers arent braced well. The studio 100's are cross braced to death! do a knuckle rap test on them. All you will get is sore knuckles, and nothing else! Compared to that, the klipsch sound like knocking on a pair of bose 301's

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2240
Paradigm is a better match for the Rotel electronics. Rotel has a very forward presentation which goes well the charcteristics of Paradigm speakers. As you said you've listened to both and prefer the Paradigm, go forth and purchase. Gavin is correct about the bracing in the Reference series Paradigms.

frank1203
Unregistered guest
Thank you for your opinion, Art. I do want to make sure that we get the best match for the Paradigm speakers in which you are saying that Rotel is a better match. I did hear the Yamaha RXV-4600 receiver earlier today and also enjoyed that piece as well. So what do you think? Is the Rotel or the Yamaha a better match for the Paradigm Speakers? And also which receiver do you prefer and why? They are both around the same price but the Yamaha definitely has more features (some I may never use).

Silver Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 152
Frank - I have heard a Rotel RA-1062 through some Klipsch speakers, it sounded very good. A lot of Yamaha's have every feature imaginable as you said. I find that you can get a Yamaha that is a bit cheaper than the Rotel with warmer mids where the Rotel will have a more balanced tone and better bass definition.

I agree with Art that the Rotel is the best match for the Paradigms, but the Yamaha is a better match for Klipsch speakers. I would personally go with the Paradigms because I like their sound where the Klipsch have a little bit bright sound that excels best with hard rock, but then again if you are trying to take your neighbors up in the middle of the night, nothing will do that better than the Klipsch R-7 :-)

Username: Paradigm2200

Campbell river, Bc Canada

Post Number: 6
i've got monitor 11 v.3 and monitor 7 v.3 and they are both braced and solid as hell. the knucle test is true as stated above in another reply, they are very solid. the only problem i had with the 11's is when i first brought them home. i noticed while diving them with the grills off that the bottom bass driver in one of the towers had way more excursion as compared to the other drivers. i removed it and found that the person that wired it ran the wires to the bass drivers improperly(wrong order) and when the middle bass driver was installed it pulled the wires off the bottom bass driver. i re-routed it and is now fine.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1463
Both speakers have very low impedence dips below 3 ohms, so make sure the Rotel can handle that well. Both speakers are critical of amplification for that reason.

If you get the RF-7, investigate post-market crossovers that are said to take them up a few notches in performance. See the Klipsch forums about that.

I have heard Studio 100 and they didn't image at all, but it was probably caused by the room. Unfortunately the owner had never heard proper imaging so didn't know what to look for. They are Canadian, so that's good for our economy if you buy them (I'd guess that Klipsch are a better bargain in the US and the Paradigm are a better bargain here in canada).

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 414
um.. the Studio 100 can image VERY well, so it must have been caused by the setup, room, or both.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1464
Right. That's what I said. I figured too many audiophiles liked them for them not to image at all. I made a few suggestions to the guy to help him out, starting with sitting much closer to them (then they imaged some) and pointed out the effect.

I invited him to my place to hear a real disappearing act, where the speakers don't seem to be the ones playing the music at all. Maybe he'll overcome his shyness and will come over someday.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 419
peter, how close is he siting to the speakers?
How far apart are they?
How far are they from the rear walls and the corners?

This may give me a better idea of why they don't image well if you can remember any of it at all.

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 38
dont know that the rotel does so well down even in the 4ohm range, I had some Hafler 400s pro series with rotel RMB 1075, couldnt push em in stereo, then couldnt push NHT 2.9s either, very thin at higher volumes.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 733
My two cents. GO with the Paradigm, mellower sound, great imaging and soundstage. BUT, IMHO the real test is how the instruments and voices sound and that was pretty close to heaven at their price point. I haven't heard the Rotel but I heard them with a slightly more costly set of separates with 105 wpc and they drove them with no problem. Go forth, buy and enjoy.

Bronze Member
Username: Nik3

Sacramento, Ca Usa

Post Number: 62
paradigm is way better no ? bout it no fane to the horn in the klipsch, both speakers can be great at times the paradigms are better to ME rember speakers are sound people think of sound deffrent,
let us no what you pick

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1465
From memory, the room was about 13' wide and 25' deep. The 100's were perhaps 12 to 18 inches from the back wall and perhaps a little more from the side walls. Seating was close to the middle of the room (7.1 system). The main problem was carpeting on the lower third to half of all walls, meant as acoustical treatment. So much sound was absorbed that you only heard a mush of sound when seated; no image at all.

I pulled up the seat to 6 feet or so of the front axis and they only began to image.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 437
they need to be at least 3-4 feet from the back and side walls to perform their best. In a room that size, it wouldn't surprise me if 4-5 feet would be closer to the ideal. The speakers away from the walls, and toeing them in, will help with the carpeting.

Also, you need to be seated roughly 8-10 feet back from the speakers when they are that tall and are 3 ways, before the drivers gel together properly.

My guess is that the carpeting dulled the room like you said, and your friend needs to paly around with speaker placement. Even with the carpeting, proper placement and a little toe in can make all the difference.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 756
I would be surprised if the Rotel could not run anything you connect, although I havn't had the 1067.
The whole 6,7 channel output ruined a good piece of equipment I figgur.
A good old steady 985 would suffice.

If the Rotel cant run the Paradigms to high enough levels, then look for the Klipch, sure as heck you wont be able to stay in the same room as them at volume.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us