HK AVR230 or HK AVR 330

Anonymous

Is the 330 really worth an extra $200? Seems like I get an extra 5 watts and 7.1 vs 6.1. Do I really need 7.1?

This is for a home theater system for watching movies only in HD or DVD and local TV on HDTV SAT.

AdamVerducci
Unregistered guest
7.1 is only for people with a lot of money to throw around and large rooms. Most people should be content with 6.1 and even, gasp, 5.1. That said, I cannot say whether the $200 is worth it for you. If you have to ask if its worth it, then it's probably not worth it to you.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 251
I mostly agree with Adam that 7.1 is not necessary, I don't agree with the money reason entirely. :-)

Some people can't put in 7.1 systems due to the configuration of their listening/viewing rooms. Unless you have the space to have both Rear and Rear Surround speakers, the 7.1 isn't worth it.

I did buy a 7.1 system (H/K AVR-525) for my home. I use it in 5.1 mode mostly... I'm configured for 6.1 but not 7.1. Even that is giving me problems as my current room is so large (18Wx30Dx11'4"H) and the seating area is about 14' from the screen.

I've been thinking of moving my primary viewing room to an addition I had put on the home -- when it was built. I'm gonna convert part of my 580sq ft recreation room into my theater. This should help me with my dimensional problems of the great room (where the system is now) and some other problems with ambient light.

Jan Vigne
Unregistered guest
Best as I can figure, you are paying for little in the way of performance. 5.1 is the format you will find on probably 95% of the source material you use. More speakers won't benefit as much as much as better speakers that are well matched and well set up. So the additional channels will probably mean very little to you. I've not looked at the AVR-330 for a while but I believe you have to add an additional power amplifier to achieve 7 channel soundfields. If that is the case that means more money spent before you physically get a difference. 5 watts means nothing in terms of volume. I believe the only real difference between the two receivers is the addition of zone two operation on the 330, something that again will require the purchase of another power amp. That could be why the 330 is offered at pretty good prices but the AVR-230 is listed as temporarily out of stock.

Anonymous

Sounds like I'll save the $200 and buy the AVR-230

AVR
Unregistered guest
How does the AVR 230 compare with the Pioneer 912K? Any comments?

Username: Joolz

Westbank, B.C.

Post Number: 6
Just re: the H/K zone II capability... it actually doesn't require another power amp, if you only want 5.1 in the main room. The 6th and 7th channels are assignable to a second zone which allows you to have different source material at the same time. I have the AVR-525 and I find it is an excellent feature. It even comes with a zone II remote!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us