B&W 602's + NAD 763/ HK635 = great sound?

Username: Shima

Post Number: 2
Okay so i've narrowed it down. These receivers are at the same price, both sound great but i can't listen to them side by side to really check out the difference. This is a lot of $ for me so want to get this right. This is primarily for music (everything from blues to hip hop to dirty rock and roll to clean electronica)but also movies. Buying the 602's and a 600centre. Any advice, all opinions devoured.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 168
Both receivers sound great. I would probably give a slight nod in sound quality to the NAD, but the HK offers much better quality. NADs are prone to hissing/humming/buzzing problems that equipment at that price point should not have. The fact that they have really been unable to fix the problem is also cause for concern. I listened to the 773 and loved the sound of it, but couldn't get past the noise.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Ziggy
I had read some archived postes about this noise from 2004. I had hoped it was all sorted by now. So this is a common fault in their range? As i say this is a big investment for me. It seems crazy that $2000AU equipment can't be whisper quiet while working to produce fantastic sound.
Any other comments on the coupling with the B&W's?
Thanks again

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 170
I can't comment on the coupling with B&Ws. Many years ago I auditioned some B&Ws that gave me a migraine within 10 minutes, and I've never listened to another pair. That being said, if you like the sound of the B&Ws, I can't imagine the H/Ks sounding bad with much of anything.

Username: Allen

Post Number: 5
Adam,

I own a Nad t752 and love the sound. I have Dynaudio 52,42c and 42 and the combination of Nad/Dynaudio is very smooth and detail. I admit that my receiver has hiss but no hum. Its not a big deal since I can not hear it from my listening position.

Last month I listened to all Nad new receivers and they all have hiss but only the 763 and 773 were humming maybe due to the torroidal transformer since the two lower models are installed with an EI transformer. If you want to avoid the hum you can downgrade to the 753 and save some money.They all have the same sonic sound but only differ in features and power.

Hope this helps

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 81
The HK and B&W are a perfect match. I am using B&W 640's,800,etc all around with a AVR7300. Its as good as it gets.
Upload

Post Number: 4
I had the opportunity to listen to the HK and then the NAD 773 last night. No 763's in stock. The 773's sound is a clear and representative one (do not read sterile), very dynamic and also one in which you can almost picture the sound taking up real space. Fascinating to listen to with a range of music recorded at different qualities.

I enjoyed the Harmon Kardon immensely also though the space between some of the bass lines and the bass drums weren't so clear for example. That being said, i still heard my music sound as though i never had before- vibrant over a big range which i assume is due to the high current and a nice warmth without sounding over processed. Getting up this morning to listen to my flat sounding, muffled old pioneer system, i was reminded that both HK and NAD are in a different world, especially with the 602's.

I listened closely for any hum, hiss noise in the NAD but couldn't hear anything substantial, nothing without my ear to it. At this stage I'm leaning towards the NAD, just a pity i haven't been able to hear the 763 to hear if there is a big difference ($500 worth) between it and the 773.

My only other hesitation is what difference it will make coming out of the carpeted, speaker and other stock filled surrounds of the Hi Fi shop to my apartment- Sparsely furnished with timber floors. I wonder if the HK's less neutral sound will prevent an over bright sound at home. A little more thinking to be done.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 418
adam, not to throw a wrench in your spokes but you might also want to check out Cambridge Audio's line up if you like the NAD sound but don't want the hiss/hum/etc..both are British manufacturers and both sound great with B&W speakers (British too). CAs 600 series are quite astonishing performers and for a good price too that will easily fit in your price range..Just a thought

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 84
Thats what I like about the HK against the Dennon. HK has a warm accurate sound that realy complements the B&W speakers. HK is also one of the most flexable Recievers out. The bass managment and multiple crossovers per input is outstanding. The reciever can be fine-tuned to perfection for any application. Unfortunately this can be a problem when trying to demo one in a store. Most dont set the unit up to really shine correctly.

Amti
Unregistered guest
Vols, Is there a 600 series HT receiver from CA? I thought there was only a single HT model from them - the 540R. How would that compare with the HK 635 and the NAD 763?

Bronze Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 58
Adam

I have the NAD C162/C272 pre and power amp for stereo listening and I use the power amp to drive my fronts with my Marantz 7300 receiver handling the front and rears for hi res surround and HT. My speakers are B&W 602S3's all around with the 600 center and I can tell you I do not crave for any thing else - especially for the money.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 213
"I listened closely for any hum, hiss noise in the NAD but couldn't hear anything substantial, nothing without my ear to it. At this stage I'm leaning towards the NAD, just a pity i haven't been able to hear the 763 to hear if there is a big difference ($500 worth) between it and the 773."

I have the T763. I don't think there is any difference in sound between the T773 and T763. The T773 is a bit more powerful and can do 7.1 as opposed to the 5.1 T763.

Trust your ears on this. I auditioned HK amps before buying NAD and I thought that HK were pretty good too.

Username: Mgood

Memphis, Tennesee US.

Post Number: 2
If you gentelman like
quality you may or may not have heard about underground sound. I my self cant afford it I have a HK635 that is all my budget would allow. they are supost to be the best it is located in memphis tenn they have a web site check it out. they have some 2in thick x6tallx2 wide speakers that are really trick I think the speakers stare at like 4000.00 each and hang on the wall like pictures. its cool and I went to the store wwwwooooooo!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us