Help with harman kardon avr 5000

Username: Dj_sms

Post Number: 2
can anyone give me some tips on hooking up 5.1 surround sound using some powerfull home built speakers and a 10" sub the problem i have is on the back of the avr 5000 it has a left/right and centre input for the font and a left/right sub input it however doesn't have the same style connections for the rear speakers (see pic attached) but it has a 6 ch direct which are rca conections how do i go about conecting the rear speakers cos i know you can it goes up to 7.1 and it discribes in the manuel how to set up delays and to turn the rear speakers on but not how to connect them i have had the same system on the older avr 1500 which has front and rear connections any help woud be appriciatedUpload

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 741
It has connections for 5 speakers and pre-outs for 7 speakers and a sub. To hook up the 2 extra speakers you need another amplifier.

The three inputs on the left are the front left/right and centre. The 2 on the right are for the surround channels or a sub (It is impossible to read).

Username: Dj_sms

Post Number: 3
yer that sounds bout right the lot of three + and - are left and right front and centre the two on the right at the sub left and right so do i basiclly just use an older amp i have lying around to connect the front and rear and then lead some rca's to the pre out and then just set up the delays at things in them does it really matter wat type of amp i use cos i have a few old yhamaha ones and another avr with front and rear conections

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 746
No, you will only need an external amp for the surround back channels in a 7.1 set-up.

http://www.harmankardon.com/specifications.aspx?cat=REC&ser=&prod=AVR%205000/230 &sType=H

The specs indicate nothing about a sub hook-up so you must be reading the panel wrong. Sure it doesn't read Surr L/R? The sub should hook into the LFE Pre-out and the receiver will power 5 speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us