Can this setup get dolby digital or not?

Username: Geohoffman49431

Post Number: 1
I have a sony STR-DE-597. I bought it because I thought it had digital audio inputs. Instead they were digital video and a digital CD in. So the DVD inputs have just plain old dual RCA audio inputs and one RCA video input. I have read conflicting things about this. Some people say it is not possible to get surround sound and some say it is possible. I am not a picky person. By surround sound I mean that there are 5.1 different channels (two front, two back, one center, and one subwoofer). That is enough for me. I don't need 6.1 or 7.1 and I do not care what the distinction is between DTS, Dolby digital, Pro logic, or any of the other standards out there as I probably would not notice the difference. So all I need to know is; can I get surround sound with this setup? By the way my DVD player has:

1 RCA video out
2 RCA audio outs
1 S-Video out
1 Digital Optical Audio out

Thanks for any help, and I will continue to search for a difinitive answer.

Post Number: 2
By the way, I guess I should say that my STR-DE-597 receiver has RCA inputs for front, back, center, and subwoofer, but my DVD player does not have those outputs, just digital optical audio out.

j
Unregistered guest
well if your dvd player has that digital optical audio out then yes you can get Dolby Digital and DTS from your DVD player. to get Dolby digital and dts you must use a optical plug aka toslink and connect one end from the dvd player and the other end of the plug to the sony receiver labled dvd optical in or something like that. and make sure that you tell the dvd player to turn on the digital audio out to bitstream or turn on the dolby digital and dts setting on some sony dvd players. and lastly make sure your dvd movie has the dolby digital or dts soundtrack. to check go to your language and turn on the digital soundtracks. good luck!!

Bronze Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 77
The specs say that your receiver has got 2 optical digital inputs and one coaxial digital input. Just plug an optical cable from dvd-players digital optical out to the receivers digital optical input.

And no matter how the digital inputs are labelled, "digital video" means you can plug any digital audio outputting device to it, just that usually they are "video"-players like a DVD-player. The digital CD-in is the same thing, you can plug there whatever you want, from PC soundcard to satellite-tv receiver and so on.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for clearing that up for me. It is working now. I thought that the optical digital input to the receiver was for a video signal but now I see that it says video 2, so I use video 2 for my DVD and plug the video directly into the TV. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us