Options on the Marantz models 2270? 2250B?

Silver Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 104
I have a chance to buy a Marantz 2270 or a 2250B that's just been through the shop for the same price, or get a NAD C320BEE or something else much newer. The 2250B's obviously is a little bit newer and has been serviced which is nice. The 2270 has more watts and seems to be a more highly regarded receiver by most people.

Thing is, it is for my mother so whatever I get has to work and not need to be in the shop for a couple of years.

My price range just dropped, and there still are many other options, but I am pretty sure and old Marantz is the way I am going to go.

Silver Member

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 105
I meant to say opinions on the Marantz models....

Sometimes I think one word and just type another and don't realize it until it's too late... don't you hate that?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6571

There are several things to consider regarding the Marantz products. First, of course, is where do they get repaired, and at what cost, should they have any problems now or in the future. We are talking 30 year old receivers with variable parts from series to series. Scavenging parts and making do can sometimes be a time consuming proposition where the receiver sits in the shop for months awaiting parts.

More importantly would be what 2270 are you looking at. The Marantz receivers went through many changes, not only in parts but also in where they were manufactured, after Superscope purchased the company from Marantz. As parts from the original design, which was done in large part by Marantz employees, disappeared, odd parts became the norm and at some points the purely Superscope/Marantz receivers had light bulbs in place of resistors. Personally I've never understood the endearing position for the Marantz receivers from this period. There were much better products available; most especially so as time wore on with the receivers. This is, in my opinion, like restoring a 1976 Nova because that's what you drove as your first car. If I had my druthers, I'd go with the NAD and know you have a product that works the way it was designed and will, in all likelyhood, be working exactly the same way ten years from now.

Silver Member

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 107
Jan, what would you recommend I look at for a cheap receiver/amp? I am trying to keep the price down to a total of $330 or so after shipping and after tax etc. Would the NAD be your personal recommendation or was that just your recommendation based on what I have been looking at?

I am unsure of the exact year of the 2270, but it's somewhere between 1971 and 1973 when the model was made which I think predates "Marantz Japan." I am contemplating buying one that was recently serviced too, which is quite a bit more than I can really spend and not be feeling it next June. And for that price, another Mcintosh would not be out of the question. There is a Pioneer SX-3800 that has been recently serviced from the same guy who I got my MAC from (which is in excellent condition and sounds it) which is a possibility too.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 749
Dean -
From what I know about vintage gear, Mac is probably the best way to go. I hear they probably have the best support for their old stuff. Jan knows more than just about anyone here with that (and just about anything else).

I don't have a lot of experience with the old Marantz stuff, just the 2220B. My father has a pristine one sitting in a box in his basement that I've been trying to swipe for years now. He used it on a regular basis up until about 7 or 8 years ago. Now it gets used about 2-3 times a year.

You may also want to call the local hi-fi shops and see what they have laying around. A lot of times they have used stuff that people traded in, open box, discontinued, etc. Spearit Sound seems to be the biggest one like this in your area. Also call Hippo's and Clark Music. The amount of used stuff that Hippo's and Clark Music have is pretty hit or miss. Sometimes they've got a room full, other times they've only got one or two things. I was in Clark Music about 2 weeks ago and they had a Marantz PM-7000 integrated for pretty cheap. I can't remember how much it was, but I had to stop myself from buying it. It was barely used. Call them to see if they still have it - (518) 785-4322

Silver Member

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 108
I was at Spirit Sound. They have a used NAD C352 which is a bit out of my price range for used gear. I am going to check out HBS Stereo in Pittsield, they often have good stuff there.

I think I found the one though - I have a very good deal on a Marantz PM7200 integrated amp right in my ideal price range at $300 (as long as my father will donate the tuner he does not use anymore).

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6578

I don't feel I can make any sort of recommendation since there are so many products to choose from. Pick what you think is the best value. However, in vintage gear, why not look at something worth having? Of course, that changes from person to person. But, in my opinion, there are a lot of four door Novas and Dodge Darts that should just be passed by. Not everything old is worth its repuation.

Silver Member

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 109
The Marantz PM7200 sold so that may no longer be an option if another does not turn up. The PM7000 may still be an option though.

I wonder if any working Yamaha CA-1010s are out there... :P

Hey Stu - where is Clark Music and how do I get there?

Silver Member

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 110
I listened to a couple of Yamahas and an Onkyo. There was a $300 stereo Yamaha and a $400 surround model. I thought the surround unit sounded slightly better in stereo, probably just more watts. It also does video in which is cool, but not necessary.

There is a PM7200 on clearance at Hippos as well as a used NAD C352 or a used Denon DRA-685 or new DRA-385 is still a possibility too. I'm going to take a good listen to that PM7200 tomorrow as long as they still have it. I've heard they don't like fast music but sound excellent for classical - I thought that fast thing is about 80% a marketing ploy rather than truth? But I think they also used the 25 watt Class A mode rather than Class AB (thus underpowering their speakers a little and forcing compression). But everyone says they have nice warm mids. I'll go see for myself and by the end of the week, I should have a good idea.

Silver Member

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 111
Got her a brand new Marantz PM7200. I thought it's imaging was easily the best in the price range in the mids and maybe even the highs too. I thought it's dymanics were better than the NADs as well and I could see the bass on a NAD perhaps being a little overpowering with her speakers - they are efficent!

I think she will like it - should make a very good xmas present :-)

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 751
Dean -
I've been told that the only real difference between the 7200 & 7000 is the class A mode. I think it goes up to 25 watts in class A, then automatically switches to A/B after that. Their is a switch on it, but it'll automatically switch over 25 watts if in A mode. Many consumer reviews - non-professional - say that they can't hear a difference between the A and A/B modes.

Clark Music is on Rt 7 in Latham. How you get their depends on which route you take from Williamstown. You could follow Rt 2 the whole way there. Basically, stay on Rt 2 passed the Latham Circle (becomes Rt 7 after the circle) and passed the I-87 entrance/exit towards Schenectady. It's about 5 miles passed I-87 on your right side. They have some odd hours - I think they're closed on Sundays, close at 5 or 6 other days - so you may want to call them before you head out. While you're their, check out the Pro-Ject turntables.

If you've got some time on your hands, you may also want to check out Oasis Hi-Fi. They are almost across the street. They're in the Peter Harris Plaza. I don't know if they have anything you're looking for, but they've got some great upper end end stuff - mainly SimAudio, Magnepan, and Totem.

If you need any more clarification on how to get there let me know.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 752
Dean -
Sorry, our posts crossed.

Silver Member

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 112
^^ Stu , thanks for the input and all but I already bought it.

I think if you do not use Class A, the first 25 watts are still Class A rather than if you do it switches to AB.

I have read those reviews that said they cannot hear a difference between Class A and AB. Many of the same people said the amp does not rock. I disagree with both, but I should point out that I could quite easily hear the difference between Class A and AB between both the B&W and Klipsch speakers I was using, most notably the bass is notably smoother.

But thanks a ton for the input - if you had not told me to check out Marantz, I would have bought a NAD or a Yamaha. I bought the 7200 because I figure if I am buying anything recent, I'd like to get it new you know what I mean? :-)

It should serve her for many years to come.

Anonymous

Did you buy the 7200 new?
How does it sound, and how does it compare to the CA1010?

Silver Member

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 129
Yeah I bought it new. I thought a new amp always makes a better gift.

I thought the PM7200 sounded very much like the CA-1010 did in the store. I thought it has dynamics and warm midrange similiar to the CA-1010 which was its biggest strengths. I tried it with some Klipsch reference series because they are fairly close sounding to what they will be running through except much more efficent. Also tried it with B&W 803s :-)

It has very similiar characteristics, but it has been a while since I have heard the CA-1010 working properly so I cannot compare the two very well.

And I could hear a difference, although not that big of a difference when in Class A mode where nobody could hear a difference in Class A on the CA-1010 (myself, my father, other CA-1010 owners I have talked to).

I put it through my Column IIs as a test run and it had a lot of highs. I had to cut back on the tweeter volume a bit on the back of the speaker and then it sounded good. Still was a bit underpowered for the speakers, not any louder or maybe not even as loud as my 55 watt Mcintosh 1900 is, but the Column IIs really want a lot of power (like 150-200 watts would be ideal). We gave the Beta 50s a test run with my Mcintosh and it was loud enough with the volume at 9 oclock so lack of power will not be a problem. My father has a 100 watt Denon that has plenty of power with the volume at 9:30 so I guess they will be a gift to him as I do not want to buy another amp now (nor can I really afford a high powered amp for quite some time).

By the end of the week my mothers baseboards will all be installed so we can hook it up.

Silver Member

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 156
I hooked it all up yesterday and I'm very happy with how it sounds. Very nice amp :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us