Where do I get lead shot for speaker stands?

Anonymous

Hi. I'm in the Boston area, and I've just setup a pair of Paradigm bookshelf speakers on Lovan stands. I want to fill the stands with lead shot, but I don't have any idea where to look for lead shot...and how much should I expect to pay?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 308
local gun club, ask where they get shot.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6564

The rear end of any guy running from the Boston police on a Staurday night.

Try any hardware or gun store that caters to the guy who reloads his own shells. WalMart sells lead shot.

To save some money (and possibly get better sound in the bargain) you might try layering different materials for damping. Most people put a layer of shot on the bottom for ballast, then some fine grain sand and top it of with a layer of kitty litter. Each material has its own damping quality and will keep the stands from ringing at any one frequency as they might with just one material.

Anonymous

PS: It would be preferable if the kitty litter is used, as this increases its damping ability. Don't worry about the smell, you get used to it.

Anonymous

Ohh and don't cheap out either. Go with Tidy Cat. It makes a difference, trust me.

Anonymous

Sigh so much to teach on these matters. Two more things. Make sure the cat is fed premium caviar before it does its business in the kitty litter. And finally, if you have any remaining litter after your stands are filled, pour it into the ports of your speakers as it will help damp their cabinets better as well.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 310
Oh shut up, Paul

Anonymous

Why? I have used all these tweaks on my system and they work great.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 635
For sand, Play Sand is preferred as the grains are different sizes so it doesn't "pack down".

Anonymous

Tell em about the Tidy Cat vrs generic kitty litter too Tim!

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice...I'll definitely try layering the different materials.

Now I just have to figure out where to get the premium caviar to feed the cats...hmmm....

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6569

Any gourmet shop that caters to the guy who prefers to reload his cats.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 230
Try here: www.sportsmensguide.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us