Needing front floor speakers

Username: Winsor33

Post Number: 1
I have an Onkyo HT-R520 receiver and Onkyo Bookself 6.1 surround. I am wanting to get decent floor speakers that would sound good with the setup i have. I only want to spend around 400-500, since i am in college and am kinda tight on money. I was thinking about the Infinity Primus 360 or maybe the JBL E80. Want and need you alls input. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2874
I'd get these, though I'm not sure how much real-world (not spec-world) power that Onkyo receiver will have for *any* floorstanders:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASF2.2

What % music vs. HT?

You might be better off with the $100/pair Athena AS-B1s for fronts (same audioadvisor.com site) and then buy a Hsu STF-2 sub ($350 shipped, b-stock from hsuresearch.com).

Post Number: 2
It is supposed to put out 130 RMS at 8 Ohms. I probably listen to a little more music than HT though I do watch a lot.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2878
Onkyo, like Sony and Yamaha, is notorious for inflating its specs:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm?20055

Of all audio specs, the most often fudged are:

1. RMS (watts per channel)
2. THD (total harmonic distortion)
3. Frequency response

#1 being by far the most commonly abused by clueless and/or slimy sales staff.

If you are going to keep that Onkyo then I'd suggest the B1s with the STF-2. That Hsu sub will also be a light-years improvement over an HTIB packaged sub, for both music and movies.

Big floorstanders can sound very gnarly when not fed quality power.

Anonymous

"Big floorstanders can sound very gnarly when not fed quality power."

How do you figure. Are floorstanders inherently more inefficient than bookshelf speakers? No.

Username: Betz698

Staten Island, New York United States

Post Number: 2
I think that was my mistake when i got the JBL E100s, I got a Sony STR-DE998 and its not doing anything to those speakers, the speakers are capaable of so much more. SOunds ok but they can be pushed much harder

Anonymous

yeah man, how do you figure that? What's the difference between a Sony STR-DE998 and a Marantz 8500, don't they have about the same power ratings?

bah humbug!

Username: Betz698

Staten Island, New York United States

Post Number: 3
yep, i lived it and learned.

Anonymous

And when you switched to smaller bookshelf speakers that fixed the problem?

There is nothing inherent in a floorstander that would make it any more power hungry than a bookshelf. In fact with more cabinet space, it should be more efficient, all other things being equal. If this is incorrect, please enlighten me.

Post Number: 3
does anyone know anything about the BIC Acoustech HT-75's? I heard they sound better than some klipsch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us