Upgrade or not?

davidpa
Unregistered guest
Have a question for anyone who is in the know. I have currently NHT 2.9 front speakers, along with AC2 center channel, the top half of 2.9s are powered by ANTHEM MCA50, as well as the center, and surrounds. My question is that I am looking at getting the Paradigm Signature series(S8 for fronts, and C5 for center) Does anyone here know if this would actually be an upgrade, or should I look into more power for top half of NHTs? The problem Im having is that at higher volumes the top end is way too bright, and I seem to lose midrange, which makes listening at higher volumes a distraction. I am aware of the brighter sound NHT has as it is their signature, but something gets lost as volume is increased. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also for basic info, the lower half of 2.9s are powered seperately by A1 amps, I also have a 10" NHT powered by SA2 amp, and also a servo 15 sub by paradigm, so bass in the system is not an issue. Thanks in advanc.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 344
Paradigm signature series would be a stunning addition to youy theatre. They compete very nicely in the cost no object category.

davidpa
Unregistered guest
Would I need more power if I did go to S8s? currently anthem is 200wpc. And also should I try more power to top half of NHTs first, before switch? Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 345
I would contact paragidm on that, but for me, 200 watts would be plenty for s8's

The Paradigms are an all around better speaker. The highs are clear and extended, but not bright. The mids are to die for, and the bass...OH the bass...

My Keiko Matsui CD and the s8's...lets just say it was a kick in the gut. No overhang, just deep, smooth bass.

I would reccomend that if you can, purchase Keiko Matsui's "Ring" CD... the recording quality is outstanding, and it will give you a feel for the range of these speakers. Listen to it on your home system, crank it up... listen for distortion, then go to your paradigm signature dealer and repeat.

davidpa
Unregistered guest
Ill get that today, and then do another demo at dealer, my only reason for asking here is that these NHTs sound so good at lower, to mid volumes, that it will be hard to match, the bass is well extended, highs are clear, but at higher volumes MID range seems to dissappear. What do you use for processor and power for your S8s, also what, if you dont mind, did you pay? Ive seen them for 4700-5700, and the C5 for 22-2700.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6559

Once again it sounds like someone who needs room treatment instead of new speakers.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/171716.html

I would strongly suggest you invest in something to make the situation better and not just buy something that will have to work into the same problem, which I am guessing is your room.

davidpa
Unregistered guest
Since I have had these speakers for 5-6 yrs now, I have had plenty of time to tweak around with system settings, speaker placement, furniture adjustments etc. I am at the point where it seems like all the money I have spent to get this system dialed in hasnt worked, Im just curious if anyone here has 2.9s, and has similar experiences, or someone who may have the signature series paradigm S8s, so that I could hear their feedback. I have too much invested to just start over, as Im nowhere near rich, but at the same time am willing to spend a little time, or money to solve problem. Its a little disappointing when I can hear a system that consists of an all-in-one package, that sounds as good as mine, without the cost.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2879
david,

Can you gamble $15?

Order a pair of these and substitute them for your mains:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

If you don't hear a marked improvement, send them back for a full refund minus the return shipping. Read all their reviews and you'll see why.

You can also register at their website forum and post asking if there's an Ascend owner in your neck of the woods who'll let you come over and listen.

Don't be fooled by the ridiculously low price: These are famously flat, neutral speakers that will give you those full rich mids without ever getting bright at high volumes.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170meas.html

Anonymous

David: Keep in mind that this is coming from a man who feels that a $230 Panasonic receiver is the second coming of Christ. Heck, maybe that could be your next "upgrade".

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1219
Eddie the 2.9s are in a different league than the Asscends,that would be useless for him to do,thats actually one of the real NHTs not the new watered down versions.The NHTs are fussy all of them were from what I remember, My dad Almost bought the 3.3s we heard them and the 2.9s on some Mark Levinston mono blocks and preamp with a Wadia CD player and it sounded amazing,the 3.3s were a better speaker but the 2.9s were very very good they both were 2 of the most affordable almost super speakers at the time The place that carried them also carried Paradigm,the Paradigms sounded fine on the Denon receivers they carried,but not the NHTs,they sounded terrible with lesser receivers they were superior to all the speaker Paradigm made at the time by a wide margin.Ive heard Anthem before,one thing I know about them although detailed they are to the bright side of neutral,and with the fussy NHTs that is not the kind of combination you want with them.You need something warm,but detailed with a lot of current and somethin that is not emphasized in the treble. The 1.5 ,2.5 ,2.9 ,and 3.3s eat current almost like Maggies and they are a demanding load and dip under 4 ohms quite often,which is one the reasons the Anthem is tilting the balance to the topend,that along with having a rather bright balance itself.The old NHTs arent bright they play what ever goes into them,so if your system is the bright dont point the finger at them look upward into the chain,because that is quite a load for a multichannel amp,oh and one more thing,they must be biwired it makes a huge difference,I've heard the S8 and they amazing for the price for a true fullrange speaker,the only thing I wasnt particurlly impressed with was their soundtsaging it wasnt bad,but it surely wasnt great for a speaker in the $6000 range,and your speakers do soundstaging in spades.You might need to haul them around to that same dealer that carries the S8 and the do some comparrisons and deffinetly try the NHTs with some warmer amps with some serious current and a very good source is a must,you might be really supprised at how they compare with S8s,so good luck!

davidpa
Unregistered guest
tawaun, thanks for your input, sounds like youve heard these before. Is there a certain amplifier you would recommend? Or more than one, Im leary about tubes because they are so finnicky, I think Ill go with a 2 channel dedicated first, see what happens. also the processor I have is the anthem avm20, and your right about eating current, I have just the top ends of these powered by mca50, but even that isnt enough apparently. So if you have any knowledge of what I should try out (I would want to use the same amp for my center) id really appreciate it, Thanks Dave

Gold Member

Post Number: 2885
Anon,

why thank you sir, I was just about to...

ROTFL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2886
TW,

well I honestly don't know a thing about his NHTs so you might be right.

On the other hand I've read of many people erasing their "brightness" problems with the Ascends and $15 is pocket change for an experiment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1221
Now Edddie why would he do something like that?His speaker are 125lb monsters they have Scanpeak and Peerless drivers that cost more than the Ascend 340s by themselves.This is a man that knows exactly what he wants if he didnt he would not have those excellent 2.9s to begin with.Didnt you hear him Eddie? He said his upgrade would be the Paradigm S8s both speakers are in different stratospheres than the Ascends.

davidpa
Unregistered guest
tawaun, once again your right. Just went out today and got bryston 4B SST amp for top halves of 2.9s......WOW! now the only problem I have is that somehow,,someway,, Im clipping the bryston?????????? These speakers are even better than I thought, now if I can only get the amp to push em without clipping, Ill "be done"!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2897
well of course I heard him TW, just didn't have you to translate for me! : )

Gold Member

Post Number: 1224
davidpa I just bought my Epos 12.2s auditioned on a Bryston amp and it was impressive,I heard them on some PMCs and they were bright its all about synergy,you might try their bigger amp and You are gonna need a true 2 channel preamp to get the best out of them,that A/V preamp has all that didgital crap in it and you need to get it out of the amps path,you will gain dynamics openess to a large degree,it may be your limiting factor.

davidpa
Unregistered guest
tawaun, I may go to their largest amp if I cant solve problem, but as far as the a/v goes, I have to sacrafice a little in setup because of the use of room, where its both for movies, and music, and I think this change has made everything more open, and musical, and lets these speakers shine. Had I known that the MCA50 wasnt a good match for these speakers I would have never gotten it, and had mono amps for each speaker in system, but since their are a total of seven, that would get out of hand in a hurry. This arrangement has my wife hating pink floyd again! Once again I appreciate the input, and advice, its definately helped and confirmed my suspicions, knowing these speakers are as good as I heard when I demo'd and shopped around, now its just a matter of fine tuning system and not worrying about speakers(A big relief) but, as Im sure your aware after time goes by, something else will need tweeking or changing! Nature of the game I guess, Thanks again, Dave

Gold Member

Post Number: 1227
Its a guy on this forum and has the 9b on his new B&W 802D Im not sure which one is thier top of the line amp ,but I bet its close to their top, he has it listed over in amps right now go to amps and check his system setup

davidpa
Unregistered guest
the 9b is actually a 5 channel, 120watts per channel, mine is 2 channel 300 watts per channel, The only upgrade would be to go either mono, or 14B which is 600 wattts-2 channel. I have the dealer coming out with my servo 15 thats being repaired, and we'll hopefully trouble shoot this thing at that time, thing is the 14B is 2* the price of this one, and going just mono would work out to be same cost, just using more space. May just get myself in over my head, and disassemble whole damn thing, scratch my head, and start from scratch, hope not, but we'll see.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us