Martin Logans: Edster is in awe

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2859
...whelp, now I know what to buy if I ever win the lottery!

Man, these things are amazing. I heard the Aeon model at Tweeter yesterday, had me floored! Sounded like I was being immersed in the music from all directions. The little 8" built in subs did a beautiful job too. This would be $3400 very well spent indeed!

The kicker was that they had these 4 ohm MLs running off of a cheap old Yammie RX-777 and cheap $250 Denon CDP!

In the other room, they had some Focal floorstanders about the same price, running off (get this) a megabuck Krell SACD player that was as huge as your typical analog receiver, and a megabuck Krell sources.

And guess which setup sounded head and shoulders far better? Yup, the MLs with its cheap components.

Later this week I'll head for the local Magnepan dealer, just to compare notes.

Kind of fun listening to stuff that I'll never afford...

Bronze Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 21
i heard the same speakers both on a krell. and i am buying the ml "clarity" speakers they were too sweet.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6555

Just proves what a cheap receiver can do; eh, ed?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 342
Edster... my next upgrade (ie this summer) will be the Clarity.

Now do you understand why I am so in love with MartinLogan? lol

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 438
Eddie take your panny there and have them hook em up to the ML's and take a poll of everyone there.

Username: T2t

Post Number: 8
"In the other room, they had some Focal floorstanders about the same price, running off (get this) a megabuck Krell SACD player that was as huge as your typical analog receiver, and a megabuck Krell sources"

Actually, the Focal speakers cost more - to the tune of $600 per pair @ $3,999 -- or, equivalent to nearly 3 Panny XR55 receivers. :D :D

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 745
Ed - If they sounded that good with a POS Krell set up, imagine how good they'd sound on your destroy everything in it's path Panny!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2864
> Just proves what a cheap receiver can do; eh, ed?

heh, well the salesguy called that Yammie a "$500" receiver. So still not quite as cheap as my $230 Panny!

On the other hand if you're paying $3400 for a pair of speakers then saving a few hundred bucks on a receiver probably can't hurt, LOL.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2865
yes Gavin, this is one high-end product where I can actually hear where all the extra money is going.

Couldn't really say that about the Focal floorstanders.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6560

ed - I'm really not trying to be a smartass here; but it seems you've been blown away by an awful lot of equipment lately. Just as a point of reference; does any of it sound at all alike or is everything just a new experience? In other words; are you listening for a "sound", you know, like the sound of music, or are you just hearing different sounds and being impressed by something different each time?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2866
Stof & Stu,

you know, you guys are right...I'll see if they'd let me bring in the Panny too! Would like to do some blind testing on that little baby.

Unfortunately the MLs are not connected to any switchbox, but it'd be interesting to switch between their highest end AVRs vs. the Panny in the second room.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2867
> Just as a point of reference; does any of it sound at all alike or is everything just a new experience? In other words; are you listening for a "sound", you know, like the sound of music, or are you just hearing different sounds and being impressed by something different each time?

Well, the only "new" experience was the electrostats, they really sounded unlike any other speaker I've ever heard. Very, very dramatic difference.

Now as for listening for a "sound"---no, I'm not. I don't attend enough live performances to really be able to claim to use live music as a reference. (Not even sure how reliable such a reference that would be, but nevermind, that's a whole other thread that's nearing 1000 posts by now.)

Yesterday at Tweeter I actually came in asking to hear the "warmest" speaker they had so I could compare that to my highly detailed Ascend/Panny setup. I asked to hear the MLs only because I've heard people raving about them. The Focal Cobalt bookshelf came closest to the Ascends, the LSi bookshelf I heard reminded me a bit of Tim's Lings.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2868
> Actually, the Focal speakers cost more - to the tune of $600 per pair @ $3,999 -- or, equivalent to nearly 3 Panny XR55 receivers.

You're right, and to be honest I couldn't really see why, other than the decidedly cool-looking form factor.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2869
> Ed - If they sounded that good with a POS Krell set up, imagine how good they'd sound on your destroy everything in it's path Panny!!!

Actually no, it was the so-so Focal floorstanders that were hooked up to the Krell.

The MLs were hooked up to the Yamaha 777.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 748
While I know this statement will probably take away what little credibility I've ever had...

I've never been impressed with any Krell or Martin Logan product that I've heard. I don't know why, but they've just never done anything for me. While they are well made and highly respected products, I can think of countless better products for less money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2873
OK Stu, give me some names for speakers way under $3400 that would equal or surpass those MLs I heard, and I'll try to hunt them down for a listen next week.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
focal and ml clarity are 10% off at tweeter this weekend, i just got back from there.

Anonymous

I don't know what no-name brands you guys are talking about, but I think we all know that the Bose 901 is the best speaker bar none, and only costs $1500 a pair.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
you are right, you don't know.

Anonymous

Just because you overpaid for your speakers doesn't mean that the 901 isn't the best speaker around.

Just look at the reviews, courtesy of the Bose website:

Wayne Thompson, audio critic
"...Bose speakers, especially the Bose 901 Series VI Direct/Reflecting speaker system, are a stunning example of the sonic miracles possible when physics and a good listener's ear are combined and applied to the audio business."

Quote is reprinted with permission: Wayne Thompson, The Oregonian, 9/1/93

Gold Member

Post Number: 2876
ah yes, emphasis on "a good listener's ear!" LOL

Anonymous

Have you ever heard the 901's?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6567

Emphasis on "stunning".

Heard 901's? God Lord, yes. Talk about a "jaw dropping" experience! Yowsers! I never knew Tina Turner has a mouth fifteen feet wide. Of course, everything is fifteen feet wide on 901's.

Bronze Member
Username: Plato

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 19
Ed, i have a pair of Ascent i and love them. Just watch for this, the Aeon i are 4 ohm speakers and will go all the way down to 1 ohm. You must give them a lot of good power, and yes, they tend to emphasize the weak link on your chain. so don't think that since they are excellent speakers you can save on the amp. You can't.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1218
Eddie in all fairness I dont wanna ruin your high right now,you have just been wowed by a totally different speaker design.The speaker you are taliking about from Focal are the Profile series floorstanders,I forgot the model number But I heard them a few weeks ago when I went to hear the Sonous Fabers,and the Dynaudio.That new Focal was very very impressive,with the tighest bass in the store,their speed was more impressive than the Utopia series.I listened to the Clarity and the Aeon last year on a Boulder pre/amp and a Ayre Cd player with a Benchmark dac,and I was totally unimpressed the sound was unorganic and lifeless with the bass plodding behind the rest of the prssentation.Before I got into retail I had been going to Audible Elagence since 1995 and it was the worst system I have ever heard in their store in the 10 years I've been going their.Luckily the increadible Boulder/Ayre set-up didnt go to waste once the Thiel 2.4s came into the system,suddenly the worst system I had heard in that store had transformed into one of the top 5 systems I have ever heard.So sorry to you Martin Logan folks I just dont see any way that I would ever like them,of all the high end speakers that have ever heard and spent countless hours listening to they have never rubbed me the right way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2883
Max,

I dunno, they sounded plenty good with the cheap Yammie though of course that could mean that with a better source they'd sound even better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2884
TW,

No problem, I understand that different folks might just have very different tastes. The Focal towers didn't sound BAD by any stretch tof the imagination, don't get me wrong. They just sounded not much different from other good towers I've heard before, though yes I have to agree with you that the bass was very tight indeed.

The MLs though just had a totally immersive soundstage that I have never experienced before, from ANY conventional speaker. I certainly didn't find their bass "plodding behind" though. And I guess I don't really understand what you mean by an "unorganic" sound.

What would you consider an "organic" sound? I know for example that Jan likes his Polk LSi's but when I went back to them after listening to the MLs they sounded markedly more directional and tunnelled. Surprisingly the Focal Cobalts were the bookshelves that I liked most that they had, these reminded me a lot of the Ascends with their wide dispersion and high detail though they were a tad harsh on the top end.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1222
the Lsi is a great series I had the Lsi 15s and I had the Colbalt 816 S,the Colbalts were bright and foward in the bass.Eddie go listen to a Epos any of them on a Creek setup and then you will get your first education on system synergy,timing,dynamics,correct midbass,soundstaging,microdynamics,tansparency,speed,midrange, tonality,and a strong sence of organic flow and pinpoint imaging.Go take a listen to a Creek/Epos setup and I gaurantee you will be blown away.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2896
OK Tawaun, I'll try to find an Epos dealer in my city. Not sure if I'd be so lucky as to find just that Epos and Creek combo, though...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1225
Music hall distributes Epos and Creek.Mike Creek owns Epos the Epos are voiced on Creeks,so its a pretty evident match,thats as close to ststem synergy as you can get.Befor Mike Creek bought Epos they were voiced on Naims as you know Naim is famous for timing rhythum,and pace and dynamics.Creek have always shared the same virtues as Naim,but they valued soundstging and imaging and topend extention both are very organic thru the midrange,Naim has recently made more strides in these areas,and Naims top range stuff is the best Ive ever heard.The Creeks have a lot Talents at its price points,Im waiting for them to start shipping the Destiny series,its either the Destiny Cd player or the Shanling T100 cd player with tube and solid state outputs for me. Shanling is also Distributed by Music Hall and voiced with the Epos.So wherever you go they should have both most of the times and Shanling to.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 750
Ed - I wasn't saying the ML's are bad speakers, just saying that I don't care much for them. I'm a little biased against electrostats. They're not my cup of tea.

This is kind of arbitrary beacuse I'll never own any of these speakers and hate hearing them because they make me realize what I'll never have. Also keep in mind that they all really need great ancillary equipment to show their potential.

At $3500 and under, I'd check these out -

Vienna Beethoven Baby Grand
Vienna Mozart Grand
Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus (I think $3500)
Sonus Faber Concerto Domus
B&W 703
Totem Forrest

Well under the $3500 tag -

Paradigm Studio Reference 100 - $2300
PSB Stratus Gold i - $2700

While I don't think the Paradigm and PSB are better than the ML's, their price/performance ratio just can't be beat.

For components, I'd generally take gear from the following over Krell at equal price points -
McIntosh, SimAudio, Naim, & Bryston.

Silver Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 214
Edster, I agree with Tawaun about the Epos. Good speakers. Have a listen, if you can find a dealer, to the GMA Calisto's. $3grand/pair but wow!
Tawaun, just found this thread on Audiogon asking peoples input on the Epos 12.2's VS the Von Schweikart VR-1's VS the GMA Europa's. Maybe you could add your thoughts. Here's the link:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1078785088&openflup&7&4#7

Gold Member

Post Number: 1228
Thanks Bayless they really didnt say to much,the VR-1s are ok but they dont do it for me.Hes right Eddie hearing both speaker will be a real education for your ears,they are both excellent with great timing something a lot of speakers lack,regardless of price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2914
I think the local Magnepan dealer might carry Von Schweikart, and/or Vandersteens. Still have to find an Epos dealer though. Would be VERY surprised if I could find the GMAs here though. For the 4th biggest city in the US, Houston is often very lacking in some departments.

Bronze Member
Username: Gtsum

VA

Post Number: 41
At around 3500 - I would check out the Von Schweikert vr4jr's - retail for 3995, but can be had for 3500...I have in no way listened to as many different setups as most of you have, but these are the some of the best speakers I have ever heard for under 5k (I have the vr2's with nad separates, but the vr4 jr's are in another league altogether)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1234
The jr. is actually one of the speakers from Von Schweikert for a fair price that are very good.Although for a floorstander the Epos M22 times much better for half the price,and would easily be my choice under the $4k mark,but that just because all Epos are freaks of nature for their asking prices,let me shut my mouth before Mike Creek and Roy Hall gets a whith of this statement.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 411
wanna save a buck or two? try definitive technologies bp7002 series at $2200 for two or if you must spend the $3500 then the bp7001sc would fit the bill...amazing speakers and u get real subs in each cabinet too boot! Do urself a favor and google these speakers for reviews and then go listen for yourself, well worth the trip

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 753
vols -
The DefTechs are completly outclassed by most if not all of the speakers mentioned here. I'm not bashing them at all. I think they are a very good speaker that doesn't get the attention they deserve. I almost bought a pair of DefTech's a few years ago. But I don't think they can compete with what has been mentioned here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1236
They are more of a HT speaker and doing those duties for crunching power they have few piers.They offer a whole helluva lot for the money,but as far as accuracy they dont compare to the other speakers mentioned,except for the Power Monitors they are pretty good for the price though,but you can do better if you value nautral musical timbres then look elsewhere.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 171
Vols I own a pair of BP7002s in my basement HT and they're amazing for that purpose. But my $700 Energy C-5s upstairs are every bit as good for music, and the other speakers mentioned in this thread blow the 7002s away.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 681
Geez guys, I'm having speaker envy. You guys talk about speaker brands and models that will never be seen here in the audio desert.

I know this is way off topic, sorry Ed, but I go to Huppins One Call and have my choice of JBLs, Phase Technology, Boston Acoustics, Infinity, Klipsch, Athena and NHTs. Is there anything on this site worth looking at when I consider an upgrade in the future? Or, am I better off meeting Art or Tim in Seattle and looking at Tim's speakers and other options at a "real" audio dealer? (Tim, no comment required. LOL)

T-Man, I would appreciate your thoughts since you seem to have heard the most current speakers, although we need to get you a pair of Ascend 170s to compare these options at some point. I'm really happy with them but I'm wondering if there isn't something out here that I haven't considered that I should have. As i told you a long time ago, the Boston Acoustic VR series was the closest thing to them but at a much higher price point.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1245
David,the Phase Techs may interest you,but they are a totally different sound than you are used to,from looking at the list,Id say go see Art and Tim.Looking at the list again the Infinity Kappas may be a good option,the upper end JBLs if they carry them are good, I would say NHT but they are no longer the company they used to be.,Id still go see Art and Tim,regardless of what I do if were you.Art seems to be well connected at few dealers and they seem to carry most things that would interest me,and you know what Tim brings to the table.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2229
Brother Dave you need to come to the Willamette Valley and we'll fix you right up. Doggone near any audio gear you want to demo, can be heard with 60 or so minutes of my home (often far less). In Eugene, Corvallis, and Portland the audio dealers and their service ethic are second to none. I love Seattle but I would shop audio in Portland over Seattle more often than not due to the service. Ofcourse I want to hear Tim's speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 683
Art and T-Man, as usual you're not only helpful but straightforward. As T-Man observes, I'm not interested in paying more money in the future without improving what comes out of the boxes. That's just not a smart move and I am becoming more picky in what I like to hear. I've listened to Kappas and IMHO they do not improve upon what I already hear from the 170s. In fact, their midrange is nowhere near as good and their treble is not as clean. They may be better in the bass but I'm not going there just for more base with double 12" subs. They don't carry the upper end JBLs, they max out about $700/pair, although selling for much less. The Phase Techs just didn't interest me at all. LOL - T, you're great at understanding my tastes and desire for sound improvement based upon $ outgo and not just paying more for mores' sake, thanks.

So, brother Art, I'd love to get together - Seattle or Portland? It seems I'm going to need to schedule a road trip early next year some time. (My oldest used to be a runner so Eugene was a good place to go every year for running camps but now he's old, lazy and he quit running.)

As soon as i can put a trip together, Art, we'll PM further and see where and when we meet. I'm not ready to do anything just yet but I'd like to start seeing other viable options, even thought I'm hopeful the ALs will fulfill my stereo nirvana.

Then, the Ascends will do just HT duty where they are just fine but I'm thinking about going to 7.1 next year and I'll add new fronts - TBD - and a pre/pro to go with the new Adcom, which still isn't in place. THAT's a whole nother story. Thanks all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
Ed,

did you have a chance to hear the Ascents? They are absolutly stunning as well.

But honestly, I prefered the Clarity to the Aeon. To me, the bass integrated better, and the speaker just sounded more full.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2955
Is the Ascent another ML speaker? I didn't see it on their website.

http://www.martinlogan.com/speaker_gallery.html

I don't think they had the Clarity at the Tweeter I went to.

Silver Member

Post Number: 359
here is the link to the Ascent i. It was replaced by the Vantage, which is a Summit look a like.

http://www.martinlogan.com/ascent_i_speaker.html

If you can find the Ascent i, it might be a killer deal due to the fact that the model will be phased out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
by the way, if you like the sound of electrostatic speakers. check these out!

STAX electrostatic headphones!

I myself have a pair, and they are totally awesome. The bass is full, tight as a fist, as deep as most towers, and tonally correct. The clarity must be experienced to be believed. Midrange, the hallmark of electrostatics, is bang on.

I have the SR-001 MK II system, which is a portable system. (this one)

http://www.audiocubes.com/brand/Stax/product/Stax_SR-001_MKII_System.html

this unit is more powerful, and strictly for home use.

http://www.audiocubes.com/brand/Stax/product/Stax_SRS-2020_Basic_System_II.html

Trust me, these units are worth the investment if you like the electrostatic sound. You will fall in love, and won't have to take out a second mortgage!

just read the reviews on the website and let them speak for themselves. I myself posted one for the SR-001... this is what I had to say about it...

The Stax SR-001 is without a doubt electrostatic to the core. I am a college student that music fortunatly plays a very important part in my life. My home system consists of Magnepan MMG's driven by Rotel equipment, great for the music that I love, such as Diana Krall, Boney James, Chris Botti, Sarah Brightman, Keiko Matsui, James Taylor, Candy Dulfer, Ottmar Liebert, Norah Jones, Loreena McKennitt, and the occasional Madonna, Cher, Destiny's Child, Dido, and Wynonna. I know good sound reproduction when I hear it, and this headset does NOT turn tail.

I was looking for a small headset that gave me the lions share of the performance of my maggies, in a package that I could take to school with me, and sound flawless.

Those of you that are familiar with the electrostatic sound will know what you are in for, and that is a really rich, seductive, warm sound that is positivly orga$mic with well recorded material. However, unlike certain electrostatic speakers, this headset is DYNAMIC! You can play rock music on these babies, and it will sound great!

The midrange left me absolutly slack jawed. I am talking transparancy equivalent to my MMG's here! Diana Krall sounds totally dreamy through these things, AND THEY ARE SMALL ENOUGH TO TAKE WITH YOU!

Bass is full, fast, and super tight. It isnt the deepest I have ever heard, but it is deeper than my MMG's without a sub! The bass sounds CORRECT! that is the only way to explain it, no boom or overhang. A double bass sounds full and woody, while at the same time Madonna can pound. I have NEVER heard better bass performance at this price.

Treble... oh the treble...

With the proper cable (not the OEM stuff that comes with the CD player) I use monster interlink, soon to upgrade to Kimber, the highs are smooth and extended. You will be able to hear the trill of a flute, or a piano plink like never before from a small headset. Overtones will suddenly become more obvious, and as a result, the soundstage will become wider.

The only downside to this wonderful headset is: you feed it a poorly mastered recording and you will hear something you wish you didn't. All the artifacts of the processing will come out.

I can't reccomend this headset enough. I absolutly love mine. It is, IMHO, one of the best audio purchases I hae ever made

Silver Member

Post Number: 361
not to mention the timing is positivly to die for being that they are a single driver electrostatic device. There is no interference, and everything is laid bare for you to hear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2968
Gavin,

I wonder if the Ascent is the one that the Tweeter guy showed me in the other room where the Focals and Polks were, I asked him about them and he walked over to them and easily twisted/bent the upper frame and said "this is what you DON'T want in an electrostat, that's why they're being discontinued." Apparently he believes that you need as rigid as possible a frame for this type of speaker. I was eager to hear the Focals and Polks so didn't even ask him to switch over to this one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
you should have listened to the ml's. at tweeeter they are probably the "clarity" thats what are in the one here. right next to the focal. i think they sound better than the focal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2973
I don't think they were Claritys because that model has not been discontinued, whereas the Ascents have.

I would hope either ML would've sounded better than the Focals though, since they cost around 3 times more. : )

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
the focals i was looking at cost 4000 the clarity was 2800, that i looked at.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2983
I was looking at the Focal Cobalt bookshelves, they were around $900 I think.

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
eddle...

the clarity was the one they bent. some tweeter reps will do this to push the more expensive aeon. The one that I deal with told me that in no way, shape, or form will the panel flex or resonate under normal listening conditions.

In fact. I PREFERRED it to the aeon, and it was cheaper, at $2700!

The tweeter in Saratoga, NY has told me to stay out of the one in Albany for this reason. That they dis-interest people in the clarity by flexing the panel because for some people it can outperform its more expensive stable mate.

The bass integration on the clarity is much better to my ears than on the aeon.

Go back and force them to let you listen to the Clarity, then make up your mind. They blew me away.

This is the clarity...
http://www.martinlogan.com/clarity_speaker.html#none

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
BTW...

I think that the rep might have told you a story, because the Clarities, to my knowledge, are not being discontinued. They are the first of the "new" ML speakers. My guess is that the Aeon will be gone before the clarity.

Trust me... if you can afford them... go back and listen to them... THEY ARE GREAT SPEAKERS, and arent that bad to drive either!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2996
LOL, not that $2700 puts them any closer to my budget than $3400...sigh!

But yeah I will try to get a listen next time I'm in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 368
what about $1400, ML has speakers in that price range, called the Montage that are amazing as well... and most tweeters carry them.

here is a review...
https://www.ecoustics.com/avrev/martinloganmontage/index.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 3007
That's funny, it looks almost like a conventional speaker with the grille off. Also looks like there's no built-in sub, or am I missing something?

Silver Member

Post Number: 369
there are two 6.5 inch woofers in it.

The mosaic, which is a step up from this model uses both a planar mid AND tweeter, has the woofer from the clarity. That model is $2000

montage:
http://www.martinlogan.com/montage_speaker.html

mosaic:
http://www.martinlogan.com/mosaic_speaker.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 370
eddie,

The Montage is the least expensive speaker that ML has produced as of yet, and it can throw a soundstage, when properly set up, that can almost equal the electrostatics.

and, it has that absolutly orga$mic MartinLogan sound that you and I love!

if you can afford it, I don't think you would be dissapointed by it.

The mosaic is even better yet! (the image size DOES equal an ESL, I had a very hard time telling the difference, not to say that I didn't with the montage, but its even more difficult with the mosaic.)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us