Another 4ohm speaker question

Vince1
Unregistered guest
I have some speakers that I threw together that I want to use for my computer speakers. The woofer and tweeter are each 4ohm's. The amp I have doesn't like the 4ohm load and makes a "f_rting" sound every few seconds when they are hooked up. My question is can I somehow wire the woofer and tweeter in series to get an 8ohm load? What kind of crossover network would I need to do this?

Vince1
Unregistered guest
bump.

Anybody?

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 316
Do you have any Xo at prsesnt?
Are the parts wired in series or parallel now?
Any caps or coils?

Vince1
Unregistered guest
I do have a x-over now. These are an old car audio component set. When hooked to the x-over the final load is 4ohms. The x-overs have a 10ohm resistor, a 1ohm resistor, an inductor with no info on it, and a capictor marked "F 3.3J. MT 100V". I am just using these as computer speakers so I am not looking for audiophile sound quality, just something that sounds decent.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 322
I think you could series a 4ohm on the - side, but I am working on the same kind of thing right now, maybe somebody could help us both.
What is the amplifier you are using?

Vince1
Unregistered guest
The amp is a Yamaha AV-90 PY.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 324
A Yammy should run smallish 4ohm loads.
Does it kack at no volume, low volume or more?

Vince1
Unregistered guest
I thought it should have no problem with the 4ohm load too. It makes the sound with the volume knob in any position.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 327
Gotta be short in a part or the wiring if it does it at no volume.
What happens with the speakers disconnected?
Same prob= amp

Vince1
Unregistered guest
With the speakers disconnected I don't hear anything! ;)

I just wired the woofer and tweeter in series to test the amp with an 8ohm load and it works fine. As soon as I hook it back up at 4ohms the noise comes back.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 335
All apologies, Vince.
I was headed for 'no source' not disconnect speakers.
Doh!

Vince1
Unregistered guest
Well, I found the problem. There is a "YST Selector" switch on the back that I didn't notice before. The three settings are "conventional", "YST-1", and "YST-2". I set it to conventional and it is working fine with the 4ohm speakers now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us