Any Decent Front-Ported Bookshelf's on the Market?

Kirk555
Unregistered guest
Hi guys, and ladies:

I was just wondering about "porting" in bookshelf speakers.
I'm planning to get a new pair of bookshelfs and actually lodge them into a free standing bookshelf case, not a proper speaker stand. How much will this affect the sound quality by proceeding this way? I'm assuming rear-ported bookshelf speakers (which would probably be the majority) would suffer from this setup. Are there any suggestions out there?
Here's some further info to help with the suggestions:
Budget ~ $400 for the Bookshelf speakers.
WAF - Looking for a nice solid black laquer look; like a Steinway
Usage - Most likely for HT, and occasional music. I have Tower speakers to handle the dedicated music listening.
Considering - Ascend's, Epos, Klipsch (I know Klipsh rank low in the Audiophile world, but I heard they're good for HT and at least it's not Bose).
Thanks in advance.

Kirk

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 63
Kirk,

If you go with Ascends, it'll have to be the HTM-200 which is not ported and can be wall mounted or placed into the case (the CBM-170 is rear ported).
For $ 350/pr, I'd go with B&W DM 600 S3 (black in your case).

Bronze Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 74
Totem DreamCathcher at 450

KBear
Unregistered guest
Energy Connoisseur C-1 or C-3 would be good front ported options. Here's a review of the C-3. I've got the C-1s, which IMO are very good value.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_c3.html

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 336
Paradigm Focus

great speakers!

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 740
PSB Image B15 or B25

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 227
Infinity Primus series

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 228
or Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 or 8.2

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 229
But for $400. you could step up to the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. That would be a good choice @ $349.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1213
Epos els 3 for $300 or less depending on where you get them from,the best bang for the buck on the market,a true high end speaker for peaunuts,buy with confidence!

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 341
I am just going to have to look those Epos up in the future. The reviews tell me that they just might be my kind of speaker when I don't want to listen to my planars, or possibly even bring me back to cone speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Patnshan

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 11
Epos are 4 ohm speakers, make sure your receiver can take that. Mine cannot :-(

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 274
Energy is introducing a new replacement C-Series Line...
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/about/news.php

There may be bargins to be had as dealers could have old stock they want to move. There are a few C-3s on Ebay too.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1233
Patrick L they dont drop below 4 ohms at any point in their frequencey response you would be fine with your receiver.What kind of receiver do you have?

Bronze Member
Username: Patnshan

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 12
I have a Marantz SR-8400 receiver. I was under the impression that it could not handle a 4 ohm load.

Pat

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 174
I'll echo the sentiments on the Energy C-3. It's an excellent little bookshelf speaker. Great detail and imaging, very nice bass response from a small speaker, beautiful mids and smooth highs. I use them as rears in a music/HT system (C-5s in front), but would not hesitate to use them as mains in a smaller system

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 643
"I'm planning to get a new pair of bookshelfs and actually lodge them into a free standing bookshelf case, not a proper speaker stand. How much will this affect the sound quality by proceeding this way? I'm assuming rear-ported bookshelf speakers (which would probably be the majority) would suffer from this setup."

Yes, a front ported speaker will make it easier however that's not the only issue. You can get away with putting speakers into a bookshelf IF the space is large enough to get some type of acoustical material in there. Even a heavy blanket would help.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 416
I will say ditto on Christopher's post. I have the 8.1s but from what I read the 9.1s are better (have not heard yet myself)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us