REFERENCE SYSTEM/EQUIPMENT: What does this Mean?

Bronze Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC

Post Number: 88
I see the term "Reference" used in discussing audio systems and I'm still unclear as to what it refers to.
Is a Reference component or system supposed to represent a practical interpretation of an audio ideal of neutrality?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6537

Probably not. It could mean lots of things. It could mean nothing. Marketing is marketing.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1020
Many people like to use the word reference in relation to either a component or a system. They usually mean iit to be a component or system of reference quality reproduction, one of such high fidelity that it can be used as a benchmark for quality.

Unfortunately, one man's reference system is another man's cure for insomnia...

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Willfi

Post Number: 20
I view "Reference" should be the "live" performance of that particular recording. But since we can't really make that happen we have to trust the companies to offer us "reference" equipment that in their view offers the closest reproduction to the real thing. Now, I can go to a music store and listen to an actual piano, guitar, drum, and bass and know what it sounds like live, so in my system I look for it to produce the same tonality, image - especially size, and reverberance of the actual instrument.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6542

Eh, that kind of implies that "reference" is the same as the Director's Cut of "Blade Runner" ... versions 1 through 25.

nout
Unregistered guest
In my opinion there's only one reference and that's music played on your current hifi set...mixed with your own subjective ideal and taste (recollection of some great live performances for instance)

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 661
A "reference" system is whatever I say it is or you say it is or whatever the manufacturer says it is. I use certain CDs that I know well as a "reference" to determine whether the system and components I'm listening to reproduce what's on the CD fairly accurately.

BUT, I could be totally out in the nether regions of accurate on what I hear. So, what's a reference system or component for me may not get there for Jan, Art, Will, Nuck or anyone else on here.

I've been told by some fairly smart people to listen and buy what I like so I do. It's really good advice. As your tastes and listening skills change or a component really hits home or resonates with what you expected to hear, it will become a "reference" component for you. My 2 cents anyway.

Bronze Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC

Post Number: 93
OK, then the term is either: 1)marketing hokum, or, 2) merely a subjective reference point (quality independent).
And nothing more?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6544

Well, yes; as a point of reference, that's about it.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 286
A 'reference' means that you 'refer' to another item of like purpose.
I could use a delivered anchovi pizza from Gino's as a baseline, or known quantity to refer to the qualities of other pies.
Salty. Small.Too much cheese. etc.
I am usung Gino's as the reference.

Audio guys use the term as the best they can do, we must presume. As compared to what?
Their last piece of yuck?(too salty)
Somebody elses junk?(too small)
Somebody elses ad campain?(Too cheesy)

Refer to your ears and wallet.
Thats a reference.
$4.98 change

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6549

Keep the tip!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2190
Reference as regards audio components or systems = subjective, that which "I" compare all others to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us