Can I do Better

Username: Mrloren

ChulaJuna, CA

Post Number: 1
Hello,

My current system is ok, I have a Sony STRDE895 receiver (100WX5) with 4 polk audio R10 mounted to the ceiling for frount and surround. 1 polk CS2 center chanel and a Sony 12" 150W sub. The sound is ok for movies but when I crank up music it's a little hallow. My family room is big about 25'X 30' with an open kitchen.

I would like to replace the 4 polk R10's with a much better speaker. They must be around the same size so I can hang them. I was going to get "in ceiling speakers" but I do not want to cut holes in my ceiling. I have around $600 to $800 USD to spend. Or Should I do the whole speaker system?

Many thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Jet2001

Post Number: 78
I think you could do better than the R10s for fronts, they'll do fine for surrounds. Your CS2 will work with the monitor line, so maybe you could audition some monitor 30s or larger depending on available space. If you move up to the RTi line you'll really want to change centers, so keep that in mind before auditioning them.

The question 'can I do better?' is dangerous in this hobby....you can always do better, it just costs more money.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 625
Have you considered in-wall speakers? Hanging speakers near the ceiling is not preferred if you're trying for musical fidelity.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2836
I agree with jet2001 that the Polks are fine as surrounds but I would definitely upgrade the receiver, sub, and front 3 speakers. Upgrading the surrounds would only make sense if you plan on doing a lot of multichannel music listening with SACDs/DVD-As, otherwise most 2-channel music sound better with the front 2 speakers and zero sound processing tweaks.

$600-800 is tough though. Here's what I'd get if $800 is your absolute ceiling:

1. Panasonic sa-xr55 digital receiver, $230 shipped (amazon.com)
2. Athena AS-B1 for L/R and AS-C1 for center, $200 (audioadvisor.com)
3. Hsu STF-2 subwoofer, $350 shipped B-stock (hsuresearch.com)

Instead of ceiling mounting I would go with either stands or wall-mounts like this:

http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/OmniMount/20.0-Series/Great-Deals/0C45/0POM0 013.htm

Username: Mrloren

ChulaJuna, CA

Post Number: 2
The one thing I don't want to do is cut big holes in my ceiling!!! If the speakers don't sound good then I am flat out stuck with big bandaids. Using a mount I get two small holes a little putty could fix. I wish I could still use big floor standing speakers but there is just no room with all the kids stuff (had to sell my Advent's). so I am stuck with bookshelf speakers hanging off the ceiling for now. I am pre weired for in ceiling so that is about the only place to put them. The design of my family room is not to HT speaker friendly.

My receiver and sub are good for now. and for the price I paid they are even better. The sound I get now is good for movies but for music it lacks a little. must be my $39 a pair polk R-10 speakers!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2845
Well if you are happy with your receiver and sub then that leaves you more money on the speakers.

I'd check out the CBM-170s from ascendacoustics.com which will be an even more dramatic improvement than the Athena B1s.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us