Building a new system... any suggestions?

Username: Aaragon

Fort Belvoir, Va

Post Number: 1
Hey all,

Im getting ready to build a new HT system and would like any input that you guys are willing to share.
My room dimesions are 17'5" X 11'6". and currently I have an old Denon AVR-2000 and a set of Bose Acoustimass 3's, not the ideal set up obvoiusly.

I just bought a Panasonic 50" Plasma and now I need to update my audio components. I have appx 1500.00 to spend on a receiver and some speakers (preferebly a 7.1 system) I was gonna go with the Denon 1906 but its not an HDMI receiver, so then I thought about the Onkyo TS-XR803 but its pretty pricey. Finally, I have seen alot of good reviews on the Panny XR-55k so im in a quandry. Do i spend a 1000 on a receiver just for the HDMI functionality or do I go with the Denon or Panny and put the savings toward speakers? Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaragon

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2823
Panny xr70 has HDMI and runs about $300-400, if you must have HDMI.

On a limited budget the speakers and sub will yield much more noticeable improvement than the power source, especially if that power source is one of these all-digitals, which turn the whole price game on its head. In my experience and the experience of many users on this and other audio forums, these Pannys are equal to, if not better than, analog receivers costing closer to $1000.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 728
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/flatscreens/rm40system/

Fort Belvoir, Va

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I opted for the Panny XR-70 and a pair of Infinity Primus 360 with a Infinity C25 CC. I still havent decided on a sub yet. My initial 1500 budget was "trimmed" substantially by the bank (wife) so Im having to cut back on the cost a bit. Im leaning towards the Velodyne VX-10 sub, any opinions?

Later,
Ed

Gold Member

Post Number: 2926
What's your max budget for the sub?

Fort Belvoir, Va

Post Number: 3
Im looking at something probably in the $200-250 range.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2935
In that case your best bet might be to get a PAIR of the Dayton subs from partsexpress.com, I've read that they are especially good as a double if you have a sizable room and/or like really powerful HT bass.

Personally I'd add $100 and get the Hsu STF-2 b-stock from hsuresearch.com which will be better for music too.

Fort Belvoir, Va

Post Number: 4
Thanks Edster'... is there an easy way to tell if the site has any b-stock units available. It didnt jump out at me so figured id ask.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2942
Unfortunately you have to call or email Hsu directly, for some reason they don't post inventory info on their site.

Username: Mahalo

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 1
If you're looking to spend about $200-ish on a sub, try Paradigm. Great value, build quality and sound in either stereo or HT.

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SubWoofers/PDR _Series_Specs.htm

Hope this finds you before you have a chance to check them out.

marogus
Unregistered guest
Edster, Hsu dont do that cause they a bunch of hoodlums!

zar, zar!!!

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 531
Ed Florent,

Try here...
http://www.hsuresearch.com/support/index.php?id=30

I second edster's recommendation on a HSU B-stock. After filling out the form I received a reply telling me it would take about 6 weeks. I waited around 8 or 9 weeks and heard nothing so I sent an email. They responded right away saying they had some ready to ship. A few days later I was listening to it. Glad I went this route, mine sounds wonderful, has a full warranty, and appears to be in mint condition. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 804
"In my experience and the experience of many users on this and other audio forums, these Pannys are equal to, if not better than, analog receivers costing closer to $1000."

Which users HERE said that?

Anonymous

Stu please call HQ. Jimmy wants to talk to you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us