NAD T752 & Night Mode

johannes
Unregistered guest
I think that the receiver has this capability, also known as Dynamic Range Compression. On the HTR-2, there's a button marked N Lite which appears to cycle between 100 & 25% (with points in between) to set things up. I thought I saw it once over the weekend.

However, it appears to have ceased to function. All inputs, at present, are digital. Ideas?

Username: Stevetaylor

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 10
I believe this only works for Dolby Digital although I haven't tried it yet. From the T 763 manual:

DYN. RANGE (25, 50, 75, 100PCT): You can select the effective dynamic range (subjective range from soft
to loud) for playback of Dolby Digital soundtracks. For fully cinematic effect, always select 100PCT, the
default. Settings of 75, 50, and 25PCT progressively reduce dynamic range, making soft sounds comparatively
louder while limiting the peak loudness of loud ones; the 25PCT setting will yield the least dynamic
range and is best for late-night sessions or other times when you wish to retain maximum dialog
intelligibility while minimizing overall volume levels.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 273
Steve is correct. It only functions on Dolby Digital sources. DTS, Pro Logic II, etc. cannot use this function.

johannes
Unregistered guest
Thanx much. I'll be more careful in my testing.

Too many features, too little time.

Bronze Member
Username: Invierno

Post Number: 38
The T773 manual states that DYN RANGE is available for Stereo, HDCD, and pretty much everything except DTS. The manual is wrong -- it actually contains a number of errors.

DYN RANGE is only available for Dolby Digital signals (and only while the signal is live, not on pause). For Stereo and other modes though the manual shows it as available is not.

Interestingly, though the manual does NOT show it available for DTS when you press the L. Night button with a DTS signal the receiver shows DRC ON and DRC OFF. This implies "Dynamic Range Correction" which seems to show that (at least for the 773) some sort of compression is available for DTS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us