What speaker do you own now and what speakers did you own in the past what you want in the future

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1183
Lets get a idea what qualities made you buy your current speakers your past speakers,and ,what speakers do you want to own in the future and cost is no object.And everyones first good speakers and you guessed it what qualities made you buy them,So lets get started!

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 203
Optimus Pro LX8 like these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Optimus-Pro-LX-8-Speakers_W0QQitemZ5826884011QQcategoryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I still loved them, but they rather big & black. I gave them to my cousin, so they're still in the family.

I decided to replacethem with something a bit more discreet, the Monitor Radius family of speakers. They're a whole lot better looking (at least my wife thinks so).

Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 716
i have a pair of B&W 601s Series 1 hooked up to a HK 3480. i previously had a set of mission speakers hooked up to some sony receiver, it was a gift from my uncle. i bought the 601s knowning nothing about hifi expect that B&W was a good company. I had initially looked at bose, bleh glad i didnt buy them, then moved to klipsch reference series. i think my choice for the B&Ws was a good one since ive been finding i dont really like bright speakers and and enjoy the "warmness" of the B&Ws. I would like to get some planar speakers just to see how they sound, like the MMGs and/or some floorstanders like the 803s. need a real job and money before i can really experienment and try out different speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 280
Made by a cabinet maker friend, band equip. 15" Marsland bass amp woofers, all paper(cardboard?) Made in Kitchener Ontario, Canada, with Radio shack soft dome mids, and super tweeters.
Set off with lights that got brighter with more volume, until the entire room was lit up running off his Marantz(no model), and the front window smashed, I kid you not!

I bought them 2 yrs later, the price was always $300, and passed between friends only.

I wonder where they are?...

Beautiful, all maple cabinets, they weighed about 120lbs apiece, beautilully finished, the woofer mag was 90 oz.!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1186
Hey my dad had 5 LX 5s with a Harmon Kardon AVR 40 and a Optimus sub the Lineaum tweater is very sweet it was one of the better tweeters around at the time,Radio Shack just ddint put the time into it to build better cabinets and crossovers for them,but still a very good budget speaker line.Ive never seen the Lineaum tweeter used to its full capability a very good dipole tweater with better imaging than Maggies.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 206
Yeah, the LX8's were (and are) great. They were bigger sounding than the LX5's. A bit boomy, and those Lineaum tweaters were sweet. Fantastic soundstaging, who needed 5 speakers? I could have sworn I had surround sound with those two speakers alone.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1187
Yeah they had a huge soundstage.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 207
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I purchased them as an opened-bom item/close-out, got them for a song. I think I payed something like $100. for the pair.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 282
But where's your song man?
On the new thread?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 208
huh?

erererererererere
Unregistered guest
First pair was "KEF Q1

Now Nautilus 805

Want Totem Mani or Dinaudio Comtour 1.4

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 328
now: Paradigm atom and Magnepan MMG

then: Bose acoustimass, 901, 201, 301. Thought my hearing was the reason why bose sounded so shitty...LOL!

Then I moved up to Wharfedale Sapphire sp-87, which were much better, but a little too laid back for my tastes. I promptly sold them.

After the wharfedales, I bought MartinLogan Scenarios from Tweeter. Unfortunatly the bass integration issue from the older (non-aluminum) woofer cone started to annoy me after about 3 days, so I returned them. The new clarity is much improved IMHO.

Now, getting a fix for the planar sound, I moved on to maggies, and absolutly love them. Granted, they are power hungry and not limitless in dynamics, but for jazz, pop-opera, and well recorded pop such as Sade and James Taylor, they are great to my ears.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1009
My first speakers were B&W DM10 bought in 1983 for the princely sum of £100. Deep bass, decent midrange, fairly nondescript treble.

Moved to Audio Note AN-E/SP in or around 1992.

Moved to Totem Mani-2 Signatures in August 2005.

Deep bass seems to be the common factor here...

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us