Need to stop low frequency from being transmited to floor/wall

Bronze Member
Username: Iknownuttin

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 25
Hi folks, it's been a while but I'm back with a new dilema. I've moved from my beloved downtown to the wasteland of suburbia. One of the perceived advantage was that I could finally crank it up without having to worry about the neighbours. Well that might be true but my problem now is that even at low volume the low frequency (<60) bass is such that it travels up the walls from the basement to the second floor with impunity. A problem for the wee one trying to sleep.

Currently the Micro Walsh Tall's are sitting on a carpet with an underpad laid directly over the basement cement floor. What can I do to reduce the amount of bass vibration traveling through the floor and up the walls without affecting the sound. I was thinking of placing them on top of some of that ultra high density black foam (used in many of today's helmets). Would this work or cause more problems then it would solve?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6469

It's not the cement floor that's the problem. It's the rest of the (wooden?) structure that is transmitting the resonance. You have a box sitting on top of another box with nothing to decouple the two boxes. The answer is to build a decoupled room inside the listening room and then buy the sleeper a pair of earplugs.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 26
Hi Jan,

Yes, unlike my downtown apartment, the walls are of wooden construction. So if I understand you correctly the only way to dampen the transmission of bass frequencies is to build a sub floor/walls/ceiling that are isolated from the main structure?

Yikes, that is a hell of a lot of work not to mention cash. I will be re-doing the ceiling so I can de-couple that but I was not looking into installing a new sub-floor. Do you have any sites that talk about how to do all of this?

I don't think I can get a 6 year old little girl to wear ear plugs to bed.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 615
The ultimate solution is to build "a room within a room" but as you've pointed out, mucho denero. Ductwork is a major sound transmitter and the typical wooden stud and drywall construction has almost no transmission loss.
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/SoundIsolationNoise.php

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 616
I had the opportunity to meet and talk with Chris Huston one of the writers of that article. He's had a fascinating career that includes multiple gold and platinum recordings and an Grammy. He definitely knows his stuff.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 27
Thanks for the link Tim. I hope that the sales of your speakers are going well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us