Front vs rear port

erererererererer
Unregistered guest
Please let me know advantages and disadvantages of front vs rear por BOOKSHELF speakers and how to get the most out of each based on room placement

Thanks a lot

Eduardo

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 316
rear port bookshelf speakers can NOT be placed on a bookshelf, but have to be placed out in the room a couple of feetm

front port speakers can be placed within inches of the wall.

I myself prefer rear ports due to the cleaner look, and better room loading if positioned properly.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 236
Either will perform better if away from the wall. Mine are rear port and on stands away from any wall to reduce possible boominess, although I dont hear all that much as they are rears.
Front ports can tend to boom a bit, so listen to different speakers in the config where you will use them.

I suggest PSB or Paradigm, with front ports.

Good Luck

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 609
The trouble I've had with small speakers and front ports is the amount of mid and upper frequency information that exits the port. With a rear port the mids and highs exiting will disperse at a rapid rate and you're unlikely to notice them. In a larger speaker, especially a well designed TL, a front port will have little mid and upper frequency information passed to it.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 240
Tim, won't baffling and a swiffer suppress the higher frequencies?
Fully open cell for absorbtion?
No I'm not kidding.

Bronze Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 72
Arent all Paradigms rear ported. What models are front?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 319
My paradigms are rear ported, but most of them are front ported.

However, I LOVE paradigm speakers, and as I said, they are front ported. If either is done properly, great results can be had.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 610
"Tim, won't baffling and a swiffer suppress the higher frequencies?
Fully open cell for absorbtion?"

Yes, those things do help. My Aria, for example, could easily have been front ported but, like Gavin, I went for looks plus the fact that a bipole wouldn't go against a wall anyway.
Suppress may be too strong a word, reduce is probably more accurate.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 245
Got it.
Won't the distance from the driver determine the positioning of the port?
To place the port as far away as possible, while maintaining the desired length of the tube, if that is the case, or getting the desired reflection of the sound to come out properly?
Or is the box designed around a desired port location?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 611
Obviously if you place a port directly behind a driver (I've seen it happen) you're going to get everything coming out the port. Yes, move it away. Backwave compression will be strongest in the corners of the cabinet which can help load the port but you need to be aware of the air velocity inside the tube to avoid "chuffing". A farther distance will help, but the farthest distance may not be the best. I was able to do that with Emma, however, which has contributed a great deal to the bass response.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 247
Can't wait to give her a go, so to speak

Bronze Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC

Post Number: 96
I have Polk LSi9 speakers ('bookshelf' but the 30+lbs each weight & big footprint makes one wonder) and they have front AND rear porting. Two smaller ports in the front and one larger port in the rear. A unique feature is a sort of baffle/reflector on the back of the speaker that hovers over the port. It looks like a wall mounting plate, but its not. It's a large square panel that is positioned over the port but stands off about an inch from the speaker's back. From what I understand its intended purpose is to allow rear porting while also allowing the speaker to be positioned close to, or against, a wall or shelf. This plate has a contoured cone that enters the port. It redirects the expelled air in a 360 degree pattern to the sides of the speaker rather than directly backwards.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us