Best AV reciever under USD 1000

ranjeet1234567
Unregistered guest

Hi you all audio gurus,

I love both these manufactureres (for diff reason of course). I wanna buy something under USD 1000. I am eying Denon AVR-3805/2805 and Onkyo TX-703. My question:

Would you go for a Denon receiver or an Onkyo if for a similar price range and a similar spec (on paper)?

Will someone rather suggest an HK? Or NAD? I thought about NAD but I am not sure about the quality. They sound like more hype than real. Denon and Onkyo are my personal favs.

Do you think high-end Sony (new DTR series) is worth considering. I may not have the liberty of buying very high grade speakers. May be a pair of bookshelf from paradigm or something in that range.

What do you suggest under USD1K?

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion.

ranjeet1234567
Unregistered guest
Correction. I'd like to keep it between $800 and $1000 if it can still be good enough.

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 61
I'd not spend more than $500 on the receiver. You didn't specify if your gonna do HT or music, but maybe a cheaper Yamaha will work fine for you.
Save for the speakers which I feel to make the biggest difference in the final result. Try B&W DM 303 and DM 600 bookshelves ($300 - 350). You might also like to add a STF-1 Hsu subwoofer ($299+shpmt).

ranjeet1234567
Unregistered guest
Primarily music. But I would develop it into a HT system with time.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2815
The $230 Panasonic sa-xr55 will verily ANNIHILATE and DESTROY every single sub-$10K receiver ever ever produced or imagined on the face of the earth with its MAJESTIC ALL-DIGITAL CUTTING-EDGE KICK-BUTT PERFORMANCE EVER HEARD IN THE ENTIRE ANNALS OF HUMAN HISTORY!

Oh, and that way you can put the savings into the speakers.

(heh heh, slight overstatements above there.)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2148
Here he goes again!

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 344
I would say that the HK AVR 635 at about $700 USD is about as good as it gets for that amount of money. Also the Marantz are decent as are the middle to upper end Yamahas. Hey Ed what about the DPR 2005 by HK? Also an exceptional value for about $799 online, very doubtful the Panny would whip it's butt, definately not in terms of build quality.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2151
Listen to Eric he's got the right idea.

Username: Cuylar

MN USA

Post Number: 5
i just got my Yamaha 5990 at best buy for $899 at best buy

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2161
I think Eric meant (and if he didn't I do) the RX-V series Yamaha's not the HTR series.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 66
Ok, Art, my final salvo of questions for you.

One, do you think the HTRs are inferior to the RX-Vs, and why? From what I have read they are virtually identical.

Two, from over on the sub forum-- if you think the HSU STF-2 sounds just as good as the VTF-2, what made you pay more for the VTF?

ranjeet1234567
Unregistered guest
Oh IC. I guess HK is a favorite. I guess I am ok with an HK but somehow I feel Yamaha's are very bright (correct me if i am worng, you know better than me).

Feature wise, I thought Denon AVR-3805 is the best. High precision high speed Burr-brown DACs. Fully descrete amp. iLink (I would do primarily music so...). Multizone capability. Auto setup etc. I heard auto setup of Denon works great. I have a L-shaped 250 sq ft room (imagine).

I know Denons are not known for great remote or manuals but I guess I wouldnt care about that (i consider myself a geek :D )

HK is okay for me. Can someone please brief me what make me prefer HK over Denon? I would also like to know general properties of these 4 manufactues (Denon, HK, Yamaha, Onkyo). Are they warm or bright? I know HKs are very strongly built, high current high efficiency recievers. But I primarily want something for Music, Warm (I listen to music hours a day at high volumes (important)). And also I need multizone capabilities.

Please suggest. Thank you....

Unregistered guest
The HTR's and the RXV's have always been and are identical (cosmetic differences):
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/FAQs/faq00.htm

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2162
"Ok, Art, my final salvo of questions for you.

One, do you think the HTRs are inferior to the RX-Vs, and why? From what I have read they are virtually identical.

Two, from over on the sub forum-- if you think the HSU STF-2 sounds just as good as the VTF-2, what made you pay more for the VTF?"

"The HTR's and the RXV's have always been and are identical (cosmetic differences)"

Perhaps, but having worked in the electronics industry and in manufacturing specifically I know that various levels of quality (of the same product) go to different retailers. BB and CC would be at the bottom of the quality barrel.

MT, I'm not sure there is a difference between the HTR and the RX-V but for the reason I mentioned above I would always opt for the RX-V over the HTR. As far as the sub goes, I wanted the versatility of the variable tuning even though I haven't used it once. I would likely have been better off to spend less and buy the STF.

Unregistered guest
Anybody who hears a difference between the two has fallen prey to the banal, preconceived notions of what they hear/what they want to hear.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Thanks again, Art. Much appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Ok Art I have to ask a followup because I got a response from Dr. Hsu. He recommends the VTF (in particular the piano finish one on sale!... probably because he wants to get rid of those:-))

He said the max output setting would provide less distortion and more headroom for music that does not have low bass.

This makes sense to me. Wouldn't the really low frequencies below 35 would only occur in movies anyway?

Have you actually tried the max output setting, or does max extension just sound better to you?

Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 7
DSP-AX757SE - Do you guys get this model Yamaha in the US?

I was pondering a NAD T753 as I've had a T750 for years and been happy with it. Been put off recently thought (thanks to the people here !).

Anyway, I thought I might look at the Yamaha as it's had rave reviews in the UK and apparently is very good musically. I read a review of the outgoing model compared against NAD's T753. The T753 reviewed reasonably okay, with it strength being it musical ability. However, the yamaha was better musically and streets ahead for home theatre. Maybe this might be dues to one of its features, the ability to turn off all unused circuits incuding the LCD's (turn off, not bypass) while in stereo mode?

Also, the new model won a product of the year award from "What hifi" in the UK - which means the online retailers sharpen up their prices for the people who just buy off reviews. The best price I've seen is about 30% off RRP. So even if it doesn't live up to the hype, it might well become a bargin if I can get it that cheaply.

Cheers,
Mike

Anonymous

My Onkyo 602 eats Panasonic digital receivers for breakfast...

Anonymous

I'm just trying to get a rise out of Edster of course, since I'm such a hopeless loser.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2167
"Ok Art I have to ask a followup because I got a response from Dr. Hsu. He recommends the VTF"

"He said the max output setting would provide less distortion and more headroom for music that does not have low bass."

"Have you actually tried the max output setting, or does max extension just sound better to you?"

No I haven't tried it. Read my profile, I have 2 subs. The Hsu is the one I use in HT mode and the Era Sub 10 I use for music. The one time I listened to the Hsu for music it sounded very good (not nearly as good as the Era). I know another person on this forum Peter G uses the STF2 with Klipschorns and is quite happy. I would still listen to Dr Hsu, he knows his subs better than I do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
I know Dr. Hsu is knowledgeable. On the other hand, you don't stand to profit by steering individuals towards higher-priced items. So just thought I'd check ;)

ranjeet1234567
Unregistered guest
My research is coming to an end (hopefully).

I am between HK AVR240 and HK AVR635. can't decide which to buy. At times I feel its no use wasting money on features I don't need and then I think it may be a good idea to add a few more watts. What do you say. Do you think 635 over 240 is a great buy (considering its almost double the price of 240).

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 216
ranjeet- In answer to your original question about recommmended receiver for 1000 or under- One recommendation, if you want to spend money in that realm for an HT integrated component- would be the Arcam AVR 100. The Arcam's power section is very good. For power AMplifier characteristics, I consider it to be stronger than the Denon or the HK line in general.

I actually prefer Denon over HK for signal processing capabilities, but also wouldnt argue with anyone who says that a non-problem ridden HK AV receiver out of the box would give a slightly better result for 2 channel audio.

For ease of use and relaible signal processing as well as bass management, I prefer the Denon. This is my opinion only.

Mister T
Unregistered guest
Ranjeet-- go with the 435. Still get the great EZ-Set/Eq as the 635 and still save a little money. It's a great receiver.

Drummer for life
Unregistered guest
I just picked up a HTR-5840 6.1 at best buy for a little under 3 bills an it works awsome. Plenty of power. I have big speakers an it rocks them.

Bronze Member
Username: Patriots_fan

Post Number: 15
Ranjeet do yourself a favor and try to listen to all the different recievers you are considering in the store with the same set of speakers and then buy the one that sounds best to you.

That said, I would say that the best reciever in terms of sound quality for under $1000 US is the NAD T753. I don't understand why so many people rave about Denon on here. I think Denon sounds like crap compared to NAD. Seems to me that Denon and it's supporters like to tout all the processing capabilities denon has. Well for me the bottom line is the quality of the amp and the amps in Denon recievers just don't cut it. As for HK, it sounds better than Denon but not nearly as good as NAD.

I have had a NADT763 for several months now and have not had any problems with it. To be fair I have also owned a few Denons in the past and had no problems with them either. I just don't care for the Denon sound.

I would strongly reccomend that you listen to the NAD T753 ($999) and the NADT743 ($699) and compare the sound to the HK units ranjeet. It never hurts to explore all of your options before buying to ensure that you have no regrets.

Anonymous

Lord Thistlewick

The majority of feedback that I have heard is that the NAD is laid back for movies and not good but it is good for music so it would depend on what your listening would be along with your personal tastes and likes.

Bronze Member
Username: Patriots_fan

Post Number: 20
My NAD sounds better with movies than my Denon ever did. Obviously when you're listening to movies you need a good processor but you still need a good amp and the Denon amps IMO are much inferior to the ones NAD uses in thier recievers.

Username: Crazyinga

Midwest City, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1
New to the board and wanted to comment on the Yamaha RX-V chatter. Several years ago I upgraded my receiver from a Technics SA-DX930 to the Yamaha RX-V2400. My speakers consist of 2 sets of the old JBL L112's and a set of JBL L5's.

From the get go the Yamaha would shut down quickly when cranking it. I've heard that the Technics had problems with cooling if the volume was anything below the 10 o'clock position which was no problem for me "like to feel the music."

In time I reintegrated the Technics back in the system using the preamp output of the Yamaha for the L112's with the L5's on the Yamaha.

Guess what happened, the Yamaha took a dump-right channel shorted and about 2 months past warranty.

Being an Electronics Tech I obtained a schematic and trouble shot the receiver. With additional internet research discovered that most-higher end receivers use this type of output transistor in pairs for the main power amp which is called cascaded pairs i.e. 2 to 3 pairs of transistors. Yamaha uses only 1 pair which means that the rated 110 watts is at the maximum heat range of the transistors aka easy fry.

I ended up modifying the transistor output pairs, adding 2 more pairs and now can crank the Yamaha.

Soon after I purchased this unit, Yamaha came out with the RX-V2500, did they correct the problem? Paying over 600 bucks and resolving an engineering problem, Do you think I'll buy another Yamaha-not? There still selling RX-V2400's as refurb's-hint.

David Finch
Unregistered guest
OK, Yamaha has the HTR series and the RX-V series and everyone on many different forums is saying not to get the HTR and only get the RX-V series. On the Yamaha website it says that same spec HTR vs. RX-V is exactly the same except for the faceplate and one component input. Is there something I'm missing, something everyone else knows that I don't?

I ask this because I saw a HTR 5890 reciever for $490 and was thinking of buying it and a almost exactly the same rx-v (can't remember the model number) was on for $849. Is there a reason I should not buy the HTR and stick with the RX-V?

Also, if either of these are no good can anyone recommend a better reciever for me (in the under $1000 USD price range).

I will be using it for 60% home theatre and 40% music. and will have 7.1 speaker set up. My speakers are polk audio: 2 - R30, 2 - R50, 1 - CSI5 2 polk satelite speakers and a PSW12 sub. I know not the greatest speakers, I will upgrade these within a year.

Username: Pooda

Post Number: 6
Ranjeet, what did you end up buying. I had been out during the holiday season and could not keep up. My personal choice was Denon after listening to a few receivers within the $500 range. I compared Denon, HK and Onkyo before settling down on Denon 1905.

And yes, I mentioned earlier on this post that I had Polk Audio speakers. I switched to Boston Acoustics and man - what a difference (especially with HK, it sounded much much better on these speakers compared to Polk Audio).

Well, but eventually for music, I decided to stay with Denon, after sampling each of the music geners I like for a few days at home. Denon still sounded much more fuller than HK (this was in stereo mode - both 2 channel stereo as well as 5.1 channel stereo).

SanM
Unregistered guest
Lord Thistlewick you are comparind a NAD T-753 with you ex Denon 2805, that the same as compare a new Beetle with a BMW 330. so please git it a break with NAD, I saw more issues with NAD than with other brands. You are truly one luky man to get a working NAD.

SanM
Unregistered guest
Oh ranjeet, go for the HK or the Denon, but consider Denon a more allaraund receiver, it will give you the same quality for music and HT.
Cheers

Username: Moodymusic

Post Number: 3
I'm also looking for a receiver in this price range 1000 USD. I have chosen Paradigm studio series speakers which has really busted my initial budget. I feel speakers have the greatest effect on system sound. People always say go listen to each receiver and make a decision. But in the area I live it is not possible to compare each receiver with your speaker of choice. The one Paradigm dealer in my are sells NAD and integra. The NAD sound very good with the Paradigms, but several people had had problems with NAD. I think it would be helpful if some really knowledgeable people familiar with the different brands of receivers would describe the sound qualities of the different receivers and suggest which receiver/speaker combinations would go together well. One feature I am interested in being new to HT is auto calibration/room eq. I think it would be very helpful in setup. I know it is possible to get an SPL meter to use for setup but I think the auto setup would be great as a training tool. One last thing how come Pioneer Elite receivers are hardly ever mentioned. I heard one and did not think it sounded bad.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 767
The Pioneer Elite 72txv and the 74txvi are both good receivers. The main advantage of the 74 over the 72 are the i-link (firewire) connection ability and USB connection. If you have or get a universal dvd player with i-link you need just a single wire to communicate all the information data to the receiver. And this happens without any analog conversion steps. The USB 2.0 allows for pc connection for streaming audio and for other USB devices. The HDMI 1.1 spec doesn't play fullblown SACD, so i-link has an advantage over it. But if you aren't planning on playing sacd and don't have an i-link dvd player, the 72txv is a more cost effective solution.

If you can wait for the Denon AVR 2807, it upconverts all incoming analog video signals (composite, component and s-video) to HDMI output and provides a simple one-cable connection between receiver and display. I believe the 2 Elite models both do this too, whereas the more expensive Denon 3806 doesn't. The Denons' have the Audyssey MultiEQ system for balancing room acoustics. The Pioneer's have their own flavor of this, but it is mostly designed for the main listener, while the Audyssey can take up from 1 to 8 listening spot readings and find the best listening measurement. The 2807 will have 100mhz video to permit up to 1080p viewing.

Currently I use my dvd players HDMI for direct hook-up to my HDTV. I then use my i-link for all the dvd players audio. These are done with a PE 49TXi and a 59TVi dvd player.

The new Denon 2807 (MSRP $1099)will probably be more powerful with all 7 channels playing than both PE models. How crucial this is depends on your speakers. Unlikely to be that critical for most people. In stereo mode the PE's will be just as powerful, if not slightly more.

If THX is important to you, the PE's are the way to go. If not, I would wait for the 2807--especially if you aren't going to use i-link.

Username: Nickpadovani

Newnan, GA USA

Post Number: 5
The HK AVR635 is a little over priced for what you get. The new line of Onkyo receivers is what I would reccomend. The 603x (~$500), the 703 (~$750) or the 803 (~$1000) are feature packed and sound great. They are all XM ready, have 2 zone 2 source, 7.1, have plenty of high-current power, the 703 and 803 are THX select 2 certified, they all have component upconversion, and the 803 even has hdmi upconversion (2 in 1 out and upconversion)

Username: Virtualkeith

San Francisco, CA United States

Post Number: 7
Have any of you guys listened to receivers by Rotel?
I've owned a yamaha for years, and just upgraded. I heard the Rotel against a Yamaha of the same specs and there was no comparison. The Rotel is so powerful and smooth. I just loved the sound. Some of the other mainstream stereo manufacturers put more bells and whistles on their products, but the Rotel put it all into the sound. It's a gorgeous unit, built like a truck.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Rotel_RX_1052/4505-6466_7-31307450-2.html?tag=nav
Good luck with your decision.

Bronze Member
Username: Wigglyman

Post Number: 17
I believe the Rotel that Keith refers to is a two-channel receiver. The Rotel AV receivers won't meet the under $1000 criterion. I would second lord t-wick and also give the nod to NAD T753 for excelling in both two-channel and surround. For what it's worth, I've owned a T762 for over two years and have never experienced any of the quality issues people talk about here.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 229
Nicholas, the Onkyo receivers are NOT high-current designs - even Onkyo does not make that claim! They are also notorious for falling well short of their claimed power ratings in bench-testing.

Username: Rileyryanne

Post Number: 8
What about the Outlaw 1070? This amp does not have the wattage at only (65wx7), but who really listens to music at deafening levels anyway and at $899 its a deal. Besides you can add amps for a decent price as well. Does anyone here have this amp or give there review of Outlaw products in general. Any post would be great regarding Outlaw products thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 230
Matt...

Outlaw has developed a great reputation for providing high-quality products at great price points. Their customer service is great, and their products tend to be very reliable. I have read about few people that have not been happy with their Outlaw products.

Now, about the wattage. Keep in mind that Outlaw 1) gives real wattage numbers, bordering on conservative, 2) uses better/more robust power supplies than most other manufacturers in the price range, and 3) provides wattage numbers that are "All Channels Driven." There are only a handful of other AVRs under $1k that will match the Outlaw 1070 in real-world output.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us