Recommendations!

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 188
I am not exactly new to audio! just i have been doing it in cars. well my car is at the point that i can't listen to anything at home due to the distance in quality of the sound. right now i have a KLH R5100. with a set of Awia speakers from a bookshelf system....i know it's sad....well i mostly listen to rock and watch movies.....i eventually want a home theater system that sounds decent.....i wanna buy a peice at a time. and i wanna start with a good set of front channels.....and on to my next question....what sounds better? bookshelfs or floorstanding? willing to spend 200ish a pair! and i can use ebay but kinda prefer not to due to shipping costs!

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 433
well 200/pair wont get you very far. I can tell you home theater is much more expensive than car audio. Is this $200 before stands or after, im assuming after. if this is the case I think your best option would be Athena AS-B1s, great bookshelfs i have them. I dont think your going to be happy with any $200/pair of floorstanders, they do play louder and dont carry the stands cost either, something to think about. personally i think you should save a little more, but if you have a smaller room the AS-B1s will be just perfect. THen maybe down the road (when you get a HT system) you could move them to surrounds and invest in some floorstanding fronts.

Silver Member

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 189
that is per speaker and i am not worried about stands!

Silver Member

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 190
sorry for the Double post but if i guess i can stretch the process out a little and just get a speaker at a time if that is what is gonna make it sound good!

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 235
Simon, you may have to pony up a few more $ to get something you might at least enjoy.
Being 'not new to audio' you can understand that nothing comes without tradeoffs.

If you want rock and roll on a budget, check out Klipch or Cerwin Vega, new or used in your area.

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 69
200 per speaker --you can do okay-- more recs to follow shortly- stay tuned

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 320
Go to Paradign!

You can get the Esprit towers for $400 a pair, and they are AMAZING for the price! I can't think of any speakers that will sound better in a tower form for that price.

The focus bookshelf monitor ($340) is a model below it, and some prefer its sound to the Esprits. Check them out as well

Take a look at the Paradigm performance line, which these speakers come out of. They are all amazing for the price.

The speakers in the line that I would reccomend are:

Esprit
Focus
Atom

All of these are in your budget, and can be the basis of a fantastic sounding music system, or HT.

www.paradigm.com

Anonymous

I'd say take a look at www.fluance.com

You can stick with your $200 a pair budget or for 200 you can get yourself a good quality full 5 speaker system. The only thing you would need to add would be a subwoofer later. There is no need to pay huge sums of money for speakers unless you are REALLY into music, particularly classical or jazz.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 246
But if you want to rock and roll on your budget, stay with cv or klipch.
I mean rock and roll, nothing more or less

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 70
OK- so there are many choices for you for 5.1 at 200 per speaker thats 1200 for a 5.1 system. Not doing all at once is more challenging becuase you want to match your brand and drivers etc across all 5. The sub is different. Anyway, just 2 fronts? Well Ascend CBM170s would be my top choice for music at that price range ( ok they were I am listening to mine right now). ALso good expandability for HT in the future. Other contenders are Klipsch rb-25 ( good for HT) not really "accurate " for music but enjoyable nonetheless. Atlantic Technology has a 5.1 package called the 1200. The 5 part is great, despite extension to only 90 HZ, the .1 is average. I have heard the system twice now and kinda like it for HT. I have a pair of now aging PSB ALphs bookshelfs also quite good for music. Check out PSB speakers. Axiom 22tis come close to the budget and are good for music too. AAD ( American Acoustic Development) has an E series that is great for HT and kinda like Klipsch RB series for music. The website says " not avaialable in the US" but thats not true becuase I auditoned them myself here in Houston at Highway 6 and Westheimer at an authorized resllers store. I also saw them at CES 2005 in Vegas last year. So the e-40s is what I am talking about. OK- Theres some choices for you.

Bronze Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 68
I'll second the recommendation to check out Ascend Acoustics. They give a military discount too.

Walrus
Unregistered guest
The Ascend 170s are awesome but require a good sub, which adds $150 (cheap Dayton 12" from partsexpress.com) or a decent Hsu STF-2 for $400.

If I had only $400 to spend on a pair of fronts with no sub, I'd spring for the Athena AS-F2.2s from audioadvisor.com

Silver Member

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 192
well as far as the sub goes i already have a monster picked out.....i head one locally and i like it....believe it or not it's made by JL.....but i will check out the Ascend Acoustics.......will start googling this information!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us