Popping sound from speakers

Jonathan___
Unregistered guest
hey ppl
I have just bought a set of logitech speakers (x530) and the speakers are making a popping sound every now and then. The popping occurs when i am playing music and when i am not. My sound card is only 2 channel and i have tried using just 2 speakers as well as using an adapter for all of them, each way i get the popping sound.
Does anyonw know what could be causing this?
Thanks
Jonathan

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6432

A bad capacitor in the power amp section.

Bronze Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 58
Actually if the amp doesnt have enough power it can cause that too. Or if a speaker is blown or a bad capacitor or two... could be a lot of things.

Or maybe you have a dvd burner like me that burns cds that do not always like to play...

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 226
Re-seat the card?
spray the card and rub the edge connector with a regular rubber eraser.
Check your 5v supply, and /or seat the card in another slot.
Re-install?
Thats all I got.

Good luck

Jonathan___
Unregistered guest
ok
where is the amp?
what is spraying the card?
could this be a problem with the drivers?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6447

If this problem occurs when you are not pushing a signal through the speakers, there's little chance the speakers can do this on their own. It would only occur at fairly high volume if the problem were in the drivers.

Where is the amp? In this case probably it's a chip on the soundcard. And the problem could be anywhere in the circuit of the amplifier section. This isn't the sort of problem you trace down and repair in all likelyhood. This is a problem that will be repaired by replacing the card.

Cleaning the edge connector with an eraser will probably be sufficient. You're just trying to make certain the card is making good contact in the connection slot.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 230
Inside the computer case.The sound card plugs into the motherboard with edge connectors(strips of copper in a row. Rub with an eraser, gently, wipe with alcohol and re-insert firmly.
The'amp' is inside the speakers, or inside the woofer box, if so equipped.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6453

I don't know the soundcard or the speakers, but Nuck is probably correct about the location of the amp. It is, however, probably a non-repairable item as opposed to just exchanging the set for a new pair, particularly if this is a brand new purchase.

Bronze Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 73
Actually I have an old sound blaster live that pops from a bad input connection on the card.

Jonathan___
Unregistered guest
well i got a new sound card today (audigy 1 value) it supports 5.1 sound but the popping sound is now worse then before. Should i be able to see any of the edge connectors? or should they all be covered by the slot?

Jonathan___
Unregistered guest
i have now realigned the card so that it is even in the slot, a small part of the connectors are still showing on the card. this has reduced most of the popping noises. They still occur but only every now and then.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us