Need HT Receiver Recommendation - Yamaha vs. Denon, etc.

Username: Bobbynga

Post Number: 1
Hey guys and gals. I need a HT receiver recommendationi½

It has been awhile since I needed to do any AV consumer research, so I wouldni½t call myself an i½audiophilei½ by any stretch i½ just when it came time to create a descent home theater system several years ago, I reached out to a friend and the Web.

I am hoping to tap into some of the expertise here to help shortcut my research time as I need a replacement, well, last Saturday nighti½ :-)

I had a Halloween Party on 10/29 and about 3 hours into the i½bashi½ my receiver shut off, poof, never to return. The receiver has been problematic over the years (it has gotten hot and shut off before for protection, crackled and popped on all 5 channels when no signal is present on the DVD input, etc.) and was purchased cheap as i½the weakest linki½ in my system at the time, knowing I would one day invest in a much nicer one. Well, now is the time! :-)

I have been focusing on Denon and Yamaha, looking on eBay and options with i½authorized dealersi½ for warranty considerations. I have found the Yamaha RX-V and HTR series, and the Denon AVR series attractive, specifically the Denon AVR-3205, and the Yamaha HTR-5890 and RX-V2500 models i½ or roughly thereabout.

I am looking for some input! Here is my current hardware:

Deceased Receiver: TEAC AG-D9320 (not recommended by me AT ALL)

DVD: Pioneer DV-C5203 (just wanted something descent and has been fine)

IMHO, the speakers are pretty nice i½ and are where I really threw my initial investment.

Front L/R: Klipsch KLF 20 (4.74 of 5 i½ 154 reviews)
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/klipsch/PRD_11993 6_1594crx.aspx

Center: Klipsch RC-3 (4.85 of 5 i½ 60 reviews)
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/center-channels/klipsch/PRD_119963_2743c rx.aspx

Surround R/L: Klipsch RS-3 (4.79 of 5 i½ 19 reviews)
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/surround-speakers/klipsch/PRD_123912_274 2crx.aspx

Subwoofer: M&K MPS-2810
http://www.mkprofessional.com/mps2810.htm

Whoop-tee-do, right? :-) Okay, whatever.

If anyone knows any tricks with this TEAC receiver, let me know. And friend and I did pop the cap on it, test fuses and look for heat damage, to no avail.
Thanks!!!
Bobby

PS i½ I am a i½Bi½ writer, so doni½t eat me alive for not being perfecti½ ;)

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 722
I'd recommend a warmer receiver to mate well with your Klipsch speakers.

Yamaha HRT - Bright
Yamaha RXV - Neutral
Denon AVR - Neutral

I must ask why you find Yamaha and Denon attractive. Both are fine products but you really should make sure you hear them with your speakers or speakers that are sonically comparable to your Klipschs.

I would personally look at the Pioneer Elite line and Harman Kardon to match with Klipsch.

And no matter what Edster922 says don't buy a Panasonic Digital receiver. HEH

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 61
How do you get HRT having different sound that RVV? Have you listened to both?

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 62
Try this again--

How do you get the HRT having different sound than the RXV? Have you listened to both and heard differences?

I had read that their specs are virtually identical.

Post Number: 2
Kano, (anyone)

Do you have any specific models in mind from the Pioneer Elite or HK lineup - new or older?

I DID look to my favorite resource, audioreview.com, to try and get some ideas. The manufacturers' websites are not very helpful on older models. Here are a few examples of what I found that have a few reviews and rate well:

Pioneer Elite VSX-41
Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX
Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX
Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX
Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX
Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi

I tend to look for a large number of reviews and the ratings before digging deeper because I believe that even if there are some biased or manipulated reviews, they wouldn't have a huge influence in a large pool of reviews leading to an overall rating. And the Pioneer Elite and Harman Kardon reviews are few in number, but ratings in some cases as high as Yamaha and Denon. It seems that on average the HK and Pioneer receivers do not rate as well as Yamaha or Denon.

Also, I have read several times that "Yamaha must be fudging the numbers" when it comes to their advertised power ratings. Several reviews mention the units seem underpowered. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

One More Thing... I *gather* that the Denons run a little cooler - and heat has been a problem for me...

Thanks for all the Great Help

Post Number: 3
Okay, HALT...

I ordered a Panasonic SA-XR55K from Amazon for 229.99 (free super saver shipping and no tax) after coming across this unit as an option in the forums. There is quite a debate out there... and I read a lot of what folks had to say.

This way I get something NOW. I figured at that price I'd just set it up and see how it sounds. If it lacks, I'll pass it along to someone else without a big hit in the pocket.

Thanks!

Okay, hit me...

-- insert opinionated insults below --

Anonymous

Yamaha or Denon with Klipsch will give you a somewhat forward tonal balance whereas something from HK and Marantz will be closer to neutral. Don't know where Pioneer are at currently. Takes your pick.

Silver Member

Post Number: 723
Read the bottem line of my post.

I'm sure someone will post some review of how great a digital amp will mate with Klipsch speakers. I, for one, am extremely sceptical of Panasonic's ability to make a quality receiver, of digital technology in general (since I haven't had an opportunity to audition, and have grown to trust Art Kyle's ears), and especially of how well an amp that has been described as overly detailed will mate with Klipsch speakers.

The Harman Kardon AVR340 would be excellent choice as well as the Pioneer Elite VSX-52Tx. Of course moving up the product line couldn't hurt. If you are indeed interesting in having a digital amp look at the Harman Kardon DPR-2005, it will at least be more tame than the Panasonic.

If you're looking for a bargain there are still alternatives to buying that Panasonic.

check out this price.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=AV R%20135-Z

Post Number: 4
I have always held a high opinion of Marantz equipment, but to me they are sort of off the beaten path and are often forgotten by me.

Does anyone know a good source for their equipment?

Also, kick me if I'm stupid but I have also heard the company referred to TEAC/Marantz. I had problems with my TEAC receiver. Does this mean I had a problem with Marantz as well?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 725
No, Marantz is solid.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2828
Bobby,

The good news: the xr55 is a phenomenal receiver especially for its price. It has singlehandedly retired both my Marantz 5400 and NAD separates, in fact. Congrats for overcoming the massive reactionary pooh-poohing against it from the traditionalist audio crowd.

The bad news: I have to concur with Kano, am not sure how it will sound with your Klipsch speakers. If they have weak midrange you may end up with a very bright-sounding result due to the Panny's astounding detail. My advice is be sure to give the Panny at least 30 hours of burn-in time (I just had it tuned to a local FM station at moderate volumes all day while I was out).

As for Marantz online dealers: for certified refurbs, look at accessories4less.com and for new stock look at hifi.com and audioadvisor.com

Anyways, please post a detailed review when you get a chance.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 79
those KLF 20's have horn's for both highs and mids. I don't think that they will be that bad. I actually am really looking forward to seeing how the panny sounds on those speakers. I had actually wanted to find someone with those type of speakers to see how it sounded on the panny. Though I do think it might be bright sounding, those if you are already used to those speakers it shouldn't be that much of a change unless you were coming from a very warm receiver.

keep us posted.

I think that the panasonic is only overly detailed if you are coming from a source that doesn't have too much detail. After listen to it for quite a while, I wouldn't say the details are exagurated. But more you can hear what you should be hearing. the information isn't lost like it is on much of this stuff.

I just think it's going to be very interesting to see how those two things mate with each other because they both should have amazing detail and clarity.

jarob1
Unregistered guest
what do you guys think about Onkyo... I want a Reciever with HDMI, 7.1 and I've seen a Denon for 1300 and an Onkyo for 900, needless to say I'm thinking about the Onkyo, though it only pushes 104 watts per channel... The specs on Crutchfield are nearly identical, but I hear good things about Pioneer, and I've owned several Yamaha recievers I've never had a complaint with them either,

Bottom line, what would you suggest for the 1000 range for a reciever with an HDMI or DVI output to connect to my benq 7700 projector because the HDMI cable is already run through the cieling to the spot where the reciever will be

Gold Member

Post Number: 2843
if this is mainly HT then get the cheapest thing with HDMI if you must have HDMI, all the rest is just marketing fluff.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for all the love and support.

Got the unit today, but it is only partially in at this point. The whole cabinet, etc. needs a good cleaning, so while "the hood is up" I am giving the AV area a good cleaning. I should have it in tomorrow and then I am going to let it break in.

Also, some of you might also be interested in this same subject matter, which has a bit more post activity, over on the Klipsch Forums...

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/631424/ShowPost.aspx

Gold Member

Post Number: 2847
It's too bad you cancelled the Panny order, it would've been interesting to hear the results of an AB comparison between it and the Denon 3803 you bought. Return shipping on it would've only cost you maybe $15.

From the link below, Post #57 is from an owner of a Denon 3802 who found that he preferred the Panny. You may also want to look at posts #53 and 56, these guys have owned the super-expensive Denon 5800, HK7000, and HK7200.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591368

Gold Member

Post Number: 2848
oops, just went through and read all 3 pages on the Klipsch forum. I'm confused, on 11/02 you said you cancelled the Panny order, then on 11/05 you said that it'll be here next week.

Huh???

Post Number: 6
Disclaimer: I wanted to preface my entire written experience with this new Panasonic SA-XR55K receiver by saying that I am Very Much a fairly inexperienced "audiophile." I have only owned and operated the TEAC AG-D9230 and the new Panasonic on and in my own, mostly Klipsch, speaker environment. Therefore, my opinion and experience as it relates to the many other, often exponentially more expensive, receiver options available is non-existent.

I also need to point out that the room my HT is in is our carpeted "great" room (19 feet long by 19.5 feet wide), which has fairly high cathedral ceilings(13.5 feet - the walls angle upward to a flat area, not a point) and no real noise dampening materials on the walls in the large upper ceiling areas. I know sound bounces around up there because if my system is up Real Loud and I hit mute, I can hear a little remaining sound for a fraction of a second, so when it is up loud there is some noise being created by the environment, not the system.

With that said... the new unit is in and hooked up in a 5.1 configuration. I am not exactly sure what people mean in these forums when they use the words bright, warm, cool, etc. to explain the sound of speakers. What I can tell you is the receiver, with all of a half hour on it, sounds "exact" or "clear" or "detailed" (digital I guess) and sounds nice to me. I have the volume at about "30db" and have the Eagles Hell Freezes Over concert DVD in 5.1 DTS playing. I plan to let the receiver run for a couple of days, except while sleeping, to "burn in" the receiver.

I also have not tuned the system, going so far as to use one of those system configuration DVDs with a sound meter from radio shack, etc., which I did with the old receiver.

I report more after the burn in period...

Bobby

Post Number: 7
Sorry about the misunderstanding Edster922. I DID cancel, but being the flake I am, I re-reversed my decision the following day and reordered from Amazon...

I just told myself "how can I go wrong at THAT price, plus I can sell or return it if I don't like it or decide to move up. I owe it to myself and the community to at least give it a try in MY environment, after all, I would rather spen $230 instead of $700-$1200"

Post Number: 8
PS - I DID NOT buy the Denon 3803

Gold Member

Post Number: 2853
ah, I understand now.

It would've been interesting to hear your thoughts on how the Panny sounds compared to the Denon though. Do you have any friends who have such a high end receiver, which you could use to AB against?

Silver Member

Post Number: 734
So how does the Panasonic sound with the Klipsch speakers?

I imagine it is great at low volumes in terms of detail, but what is it like at higher volumes?

Post Number: 9
I don't have any friends. :-)

Kano, so far you are spot on - very detailed at comfortable (low to moderate) listening levels.

I mentioned the acoustics of my room, and the louder it is the more noise I experience due to sound bouncing around. I had the unit at 15 and 10ddb listening to a U2 concert yesterday ("Beautiful Day"), and it is loud enough for me to know that I am doing damage to my hearing when the crowd is cheering, etc. - in other words my ears would ring if subjected to it at that volume for an extended length of time. I can also say that this unit seems louder that my previous receiver, which was supposedly 130 watts per.

I hope that helps. I am very pleased with my purchase at this point. Tonight I will watch the first movie on it, Star Wars EIII, and look foward to seeing how that sounds.

More later.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2856
Bobby,

-10 or -15 on the Panny volume is VERY loud, that's 100db and up by my estimation. The only time I crank it that high is for movies, for music I find -25 to -35 already plenty loud and enough to send the wife running for the other room, lol.

Yes what you are experiencing is what even Art admits is "the seemingly bottomless power" of the Panny. It clearly outpowered my (conservatively rated) 100wpc NAD separates without breaking a sweat and with 1/3 of the weight/bulk!

Analog's days are numbered, I tell ya...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2196
Yeah, unfortunately it gets loud.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2862
Art, you know whenever you get tired of being a social worker you could always look into stand-up comedy! : )
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us