Another speaker recommendation request

Username: Sweetpoonstang

Post Number: 1
Hi, *waves*

I'd like to solicite 5.1 to 7.1 speaker recommendations from the folks here in the price range I'm looking to spend, which is up to but not beyond $400

For what ever reason, I've kind of narrowed my choices down to (but am open to ANY suggestions):

JBL SCS180.6 Complete 6.1

JBL SCS200.7 8-Piece Home Cinema Speaker Package

Cerwin Vega AVS-632

Cerwin Vega V-500

Yamaha NS-BP4500 6.1

I believe all those speaker packages are under $400, which is where I need to keep the buget. I'll be using them mostly for TV and movies, I guess, but will also play plenty of hard rock through them. I've read a lot of negative opinions about Cerwin Vegas, but the set I owned about 15 years ago, I loved. The V-500 package really turns me on because of the 5-1/2" size of the satellite woofers compared to an average of 3" for many systems in this price range, and the sub-woofer apparently rocks. On the other hand the Cerwin Vega AVS-632 package is DIRT cheap, and I've read that for the price, they are a great package and hard to beat, again for the price. I've read some nice things about the JBL packages but have no experience with them. Yamahas are also something I don't know too much about.

I'm hoping someone has heard any one of these speaker packages and can offer a first-hand opinion on them and not a biased belief.

If anyone knows of a 5.1 to 7.1 speaker package in the rang of $350, please offer your comments on those.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 301
You are not going to find a speaker package in that price range that can do justice to hard rock.

Speakers that begin to do justice to rock music START at $500 to $600 a pair.

All you will hear out of a compact speaker playing rock lodly is compression, and then eventually a blown driver.

Your best bet would be a system based around klipsch towers, but this would set you back at least 3 to 4 times your current price range.

go to www.bestbuy.com and look at their selection of klipsch speakers. They are one that I can really reccomend for your tastes. You may find that it would be more in your interest to start out with just a pair of speakers, and work up to a surround system.

Anonymous

www.fluance.com

Post Number: 2
I should probably revise their intended use a bit. While hard rock is what I prefer to listen to, and will at times listen to it on my home theater system, watching DVDs and TV in general by far will take up most of my systems use. Even when I will listen to my favorite rock CDs, it won't be at volumes I used to crank my system years ago. With a family now, things are geared down a bit. So with that in mind, do any of those systems I mention seem like they're worth a heck?

Thank you for the Fluance link. I linked there from another thread earlier, and may have to give those a serious consideration too.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 307
ok... thank you for that

I can give you an option that will be better than anything that has been reccomended to you in your price range as of yet.

That would be the Paradigm Cinema 70 CT.

I will get back to you on pricing, but I believe that it is roughly $400 to $450 for 5 speakers and a sub.

Anonymous

Another good option might be the Athena Micra 6. It is a 5.1 sub/sat system that can be had for 299. If you added a pair of Athena AS-B1 bookshelf speakers for another 100 you would have a decent 7.1 system and a respectable 2.1 music system too.

paul6ppc
Unregistered guest
Klipsch also makes a quintet 5.1 mini speaker that is in your price range at best buy.they are not bad , but are priced with out a sub,which is necessary.It would allow you to purchase in steps.I use it for a 5.1 surround ,they work quite well.

Post Number: 3
Very good suggestions. Thank you for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us