Audiophile Speaker Epiphany

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 147
I started out the day looking to audition DVD players to replace my dearly departed Toshiba. I had every intention of going into New York City, but after a quick search, found two of the three players on my short list, in lower Westchester County, about a 30 minute drive from home.

I get to the salon, which will remain nameless, for reasons that will become clear in time. The salon was very, very nice. Mostly high end gear (Krell, Meridian, BAT, Lexicon). Their entry system lines were NAD and DENON. Upon entering I was approached by the owner. We introduced one another, sat down, told him why I was there that day, discussed my system, and started to talk about years past and the old days. As i turns out, he knows the owner of the salon I did business with for 20+ years. We probably talked for a good hour. I still haven't listened to a player yet. It was a quiet time at the salon. Having told him about my recent Maggie 1.6 purchase, he asked how I liked them. I told him I thought they were great, and why. He agreed that they were indeed truly fine speakers, started to laugh, and said: Rick if you have the time, please follow me.

I followed him to his private office, a very nicely furnished room, about 14'x18'. He pointed to the couch, and said I want you to hear something. He asked if I ever heard of OHM speakers? I told him I was sort of familiar with them. I know they have been around since the early 70's, I know the basic principal of the Walsh driver, and so on. I remember the original OHM F, but had not heard the speakers in 25 years.
The model he had in his office is the new Walsh Micro Tall. The speaker is 35" tall, 6"x6" square. The following demo was made with NAD seperates and CD player. He asked for one of my ref CD's I brought with me, put it in the player and lit up the system. After 3 minuted, I heard all I needed to hear. My senses were on overload. the first thing I noticed was the back wall completely disappeared. I mean gone! A soundstage 30 yards behind what was the rear wall. Keep in mind the Walsh driver is omnidirectional. The salon owner looked at me and laughed again as I jumped up and started moving around the room. The entire room was the sweet spot, the entire width of the room. I walked across the room, from one speaker to the other, and was just as if I walked across the stage during a live performance. Uncanny, just uncanny. It wasn't like moving away from one speaker, and getting closer to the next. Again it was like walking past individual musicians within the soundstage. The biggest sounstage I've ever experienced, pinpoint imaging, amazing detail, great tight bass. Bottom line, it was my Maggies, only with a bigger, wider soundstage, and the whole room as a sweetspot. The price of these gems? $1000 pair! They are now sold only factory direct, with a 120 day home trial. I urge everyone to check out their website.

If you haven't figured it out by know the owner of the salon asked me not to mention store, or his name. He doesn't sell OHM speakers. I left without auditioning DVD players, but told him I will return soon to do so.

I already have a buyer for the Maggies, and I will call OHM tomorrow morning to order a pair of the Micro Tall's. These speakers will embarrass speakers costing 5x as much and more. True audiophile quality speakers, at an unheard of price. Cheers!

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 186
Rick

What an experience. You lucky so & so. I was really happy with my speakers until I read the above. :-)

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 148
Rantz,

So was I! Here I go......again.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 459
heeew, for a moment there, I thought you were going to do a speaker review of the white van speakers named Epiphany!
nice review...the last time I heard OHMs was in 1983 and the music was Michael Jackson's "Thriller" on vinyl. I never heard Vincent Price's voice so vivid and creepy again after that.
cheers

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 426
Rick--

The Ohm omnidirectionals are excellent speakers and they also allow for at least a 60 day trial period. They are particularly great for stereo, as the toss an enormous soundstage and are inherently time and phase coherent.

But I would imagine it helps to set them far enough away from a wall to get the total benefit. Hence, it is not an ideal speaker for everyone. But their personal audition policy for a couple of months certainly makes them worthwhile for many people to see if they are appropriate for their room and system.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 149
Gregory,

Thanks for the input, and I agree. The company trial period is 120 days. They say the Walsh driver needs 30-60 day break in period, and yes they perform best at least 2' away from the back wall.

Bronze Member
Username: Stone

Post Number: 25
I am 5 months into owning a pair of Ohm Micro Walsh's and the matching center channel. I actually have the rear satellites being shipped out today. I found the break in period to be about 2 months or regular use. I was ready to return them when they finally opened up. They should be keepers for a few years.
The center channel is not the prettiest looking thing in the world, but it the best sounding center channel I have heard under a grand. I am sure there is better for the price, I just haven't come across it. I have my center hidden from view. They are great speakers if you are NOT the type of person who has a listening room set up with one chair in the middle and the room dedicated to only music. No need due to the wide soundstage.

philip
Unregistered guest
I to wanted to buy the micro tall,the problem is they dont sell in the philippines,anyone has an advise?

Silver Member

Post Number: 472
try contacting one of the members of the board named Lorenzo Lopez, I believe he has an audio shop in Manila. he frequents this board around the Amp and Receivers area.
cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 473
philip,
check this thread
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/17140.html
lorenzo lopez started it. From the way he describes his encounters with his customers, sounds like a good "negosyante"
cheers

philip
Unregistered guest
berny,
sorry,made some mistake,i replied at lorenzo's posted thread denon2200.I emailed ohm's and they replied they dont sell here in the philippines,any other way?

how can i contact lorenzo? does he sell ohm speakers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 474
philip,
you can click on his name and you can find out his e-mail address.

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 28
umm..if they don't sell in the Philippines, what makes you think they will ship to Manila?
There are no distributors besides Ohm themselves and they do not ship anywhere outside the US and Canada. The guys only hope is to get someone to buy them and forward them on.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 161
Stone,

I never did thank you for your input on the Micro Talls. THANK YOU. I can't wait for them to arrive.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 44
Rick, can you give more info on the Ohms. What do you need to drive them? In the demo, what amps/receivers were being used? What frequency range the speakers have? Was there a sub? Was it just stereo? Thanks.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 162
Jonathan,

The review of my experience is posted at the start of this thread.

The demo was in 2 channel stereo with no sub.

Ohm recommends power between 30-150 wpc to drive the Micro Tall's.

I'm going to drive them with an Aragon 8008x3 amp through a Proceed AVP pre-pro.

Please check out their website for complete specs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Thanks Rick. I saw a review posted too. Intriguing. I didn't see much in the way of specs on the web site. It mentioned the speakers rated down to 47 but didn't give the sensitivities or other information. The review indicated there was more than enough bass extension and that the reviewer had actually forgotten to activate his sub and didn't miss it. I had read your review which was quite effusive and certainly had me taking notice that a box speaker sounds as open as a Magnepan.

Silver Member

Post Number: 475
Stone,
I am aware of the logistics, you misunderstand, if Lorenzo is as good a businessman as I think he is, something will be arranged. I lived in the Philippines and you'd be surprised as to what a reputable establishment can do for its cutomers.
cheers

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 29
Gotcha Berny.

Rick, glad to help. That amp is a beast. Much more appropriate than my lowly Harmon Kardon. I need some real power for these speakers. I am going to call Ohm for some recommendations. "When" I can afford a good 3 or 5 channel amp, the HK will quickly become a pre-amp.
Just remember, they have a long in home trial for a reason. For me, it took the drivers quite some time to loosen up and really perform. Maybe I was too easy on them. Between John over at Ohm and the shop owner where you heard them, I bet you will be able to dial them in just right. Ohm is great about making sure you are getting the most from your pair of speakers. Even if they don't work out in your space, (some people dont like the sound) you can always go back to what you like and have had an interesting speaker experience for 4 months.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 164
Stone,

I have had great success upgrading with high end gear through Audiogon. You can find great buys, half the price of new gear. You will generally find high end guys are very very fussy with their gear, and gently used. I have never been burned.
You can usually find Mondial gear (Acurus-Aragon) for sale. Acurus is the sister line of Aragon, and generally see the Acurus 200x3 amp for $400-$600 in the Audiogon classifieds. Use your HK for a pre-pro, and you have a low cost upgrade. I use an Acurus 200x3 for my rear channels.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 752
Rick,

What a pleasure to read about your discovery. No wonder you changed your mind about a new DVD-player.

"I know the basic principal of the Walsh driver,". This is completely new to me - can you explain, briefly? If it is on the web site www.ohmspeaker.com, it is hidden away somewhere.

This adds to my list of interesting and desirable audio available only in North America. Most frustrating. The web site does not even seem to have a list of dealers/distributors, just a phone number. I have never heard of direct sale with home trials in Europe, even with local manufacturers. Just offering that option speaks volumes for the manufacturer's confidence in the product.

Unregistered guest
Stone, i'd listen before dissing your "lowely" HK amp in favor of the acuras. I have a H/K Citation 24 that has recently developed problems. I replaced it on the advice of a VERY knowledegable friend with an Acuras A-200. Double the power. To make a long story short,i'm going to repair the Citation as it destroys the Acuras in musical enjoyment. My advice is listen......with your ears not your eyes.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 169
JohnA.,

I'm glad you had a peek at this thread. I could babble on about the Walsh Driver, but the best info source I could find is @:

www.multimedia.com/uniquespeakers.HTML

I think you'll find it interesting reading. Cheers my friend!

Silver Member

Post Number: 761
Rick,

Thank you. However, for some reason, that url becomes automatically redirected to another, which serves what appears to be an unrelated web page.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 173
JohnA.,

Sorry about that. The following is from Don Lindich's Sound Advice.

Ohm Walsh speakers. The unique Walsh driver in operation. A single pulse tone travels down an inverted cone, reproducing the entire audio range with one driver. The line of Ohm Walsh speakers use a unique driver designed by Lincoln Walsh. He was an engineer who was part of the engineering team that developed radar during WWII. He later designes amps, and his final project was a one-way speaker with one driver. It was a large cone that faced down into a sealed, airtight enclosure. Rather than move back and forth as conventional speakers do, the cone rippled and created sound using a principle known as "transmission line". The new speaker created a single, perfectly rendered sound wave of remarkable clarity. A new company, Ohm Acoustics, was formed to develop and market Walsh's new speaker design. Lincoln Walsh died before his speaker was released to the public. After developing the Ohm A prototype, in 1973 Ohm introduced the Ohm F speaker to critical acclaim. The Ohm F could reproduce audio signals more accurately than any other speaker, and had a truly spectacular sound. (Thirty years later, the Ohm F still sounds better than many of todays most expensive speaker designs.) Unfortunately, the Ohm F was also very expensive and fussy. All the way back in 1982 the cost $4000 per pair, and they required tremendous amounts of power, while being unable to handle high power continuosly for long periods. The saying went, "250 watts to drive a pair of Ohm Fs, 300 watts to blow them up!"

Ohm made the Walsh speaker a more commercially viable product by turning it into a 2-way system. The Walsh driver still reproduced 80% of the speakers sound, but a crossover and tweeter was added to reproduce the highest frequencies. The sealed enclosure was converted to a ported design. The added port reduced power requirements and supplemented the low bass produced by the smaller Walsh cone. These changes solved the problems of expense, large size, high power requirements, and low power handling. First introduced in in 1982 as the Ohm Walsh 2, the new design was not a Walsh speaker in it's pure form, but a speaker designed with Walsh technology. Ohm refers to this modified Walsh design as their "Coherent Line Source" driver.

The sound is incredibly natural and realistic, unlike any other speaker I have heard. When you listen to them, you do not hear speakers; just beautiful music appearing out of thin air. The sound is spacious and envelops you, but at the same time, the stereo imaging places performers and instruments precisely. This effect can be heard throughout the entire listening room. It all adds up to and exciting and involving experience. The great sound quality makes the ideal for HT, and with the precise stereo imaging, a center channel is not needed. The phantom mode places all the center sounds directly between the two speakers. If it seems like I know a lot about Ohm Walsh speakers' well, it is because they have been my personal choice for over fifteen years. The Ohm name is no longer common in the print media because their speakers are sold direct, and do little advertising. As a result, few publications review their products these days. Those that do review Ohm's speakers, however, consistently rate them highly.

So there you have it John, you have to hear these to believe.............Cheers!

Bronze Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 86
Try

http://www.multimediaanswers.com/uniquespeakers.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 765
Rick and John,

Heavens above. I thank you. It will take me some time to assimilate all this. The irrelevant line "...part of the engineering team that developed radar..." throws me off even thinking about the Walsh driver. I hope this is not "Enigma" all over again. I love the US, but credit where it is due, please!

One other swift reaction: anything that makes "a center channel not needed" gets my vote. Will report back.

Bronze Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 25
Rick,

Thanks for pointing me to this thread. So, did their 5-6 week lead time happen before or after you published your epiphany? :-)

This definitely sounds like something worth investigating.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 177
Ghia,

Trust me I had nothing to do with their success. I thought they were long out of business. I'm glad I was wrong. I just replaced a very highly regarded, world class speaker(Magnepan) for the Ohms. I quess an old dog can still learn something new. LOL!

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 89
I was going to post a thing on Ohm on Timn8ter's thread on "best speakers" but I thought I was already becoming a doddering old reminiscenter, so I didn't. But since Ohm came up here, I'm going to add my 2 shillings.

An audiophile friend of mine had the means and the room to audition some very high-end speakers. The room was a rectangle, roughly 20X35 feet, with the speakers at one end and the listening space at the other end. The floor was wood over joists, which was his secret passive "sub-woofer," even though the term didn't exist then. All the audio gear was in a side room behind the speaker area.

One day, c.1976, I came over to his house and saw a pair of Ohm Fs, powered by a Marc Levinson preamp and two strapped McIntosh 2100 amps. The turntable and moving coil cartridge was of equal quality, though I don't remember spicifics there.

The first thing I heard on this system was the E. Power Biggs' recording of the Poulenc Organ Concerto. Let me say that this, almost 30 years now, was an unforgettable experience! With its excellent dispersion (360° of course), and its full-range responce, the sound was nothing short of extraordinary. Prodigious bass, mid, and high end were all there. That it lacked the transparent treble "sizzle" of electrostatics was to be expected, I think, since no other conesndome direct radiator can duplicate that, either then or now. I attribute the Ohm's seamless sound to the lack of multible drivers and crossover...

Years later another friend loaned me a pair of the Ohm Walsh 2s, and this was another memorable experience. At that time, my living-room was the main A/V area, and it was difficult, requiring awkward speaker placement. (A pox on fireplaces and sliding glass doors leading out to the obligatory wood deck.) The sound field was nothing short of an epiphany. I still miss them, and since I haven't heard anything about Ohm in the last decade, I have assumed they weren't in business anymore.

Silver Member

Post Number: 770
Goodness, the plot thickens. Fascinating. Thanks, Rick, John, and others.

Rick, it is also possible to teach a new dog old tricks. Let us consider forming an audio chapter of the Grey Panthers.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 179
John S,

Thank you for your insight. The Micro Talls are a credit to the fine Ohm legacy.

JohnA.,

LOL! I posted on another thread, the board should put us "old timers in a catagory called RUST. I would be honored to be in such distinguished company gentlemen, where is my application form?

Silver Member

Post Number: 773
Rick,

From reading so many posts here, I can suggest a short list of founder members....

We would have to sort out a minimum age for eligibility, I suppose. We could set it low: say, fifty.

Then again, maybe strict chronological age is not the issue. Why, some of my long-standing friends were once "young fogeys", too....

Cheers!

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 180
JohnA.,

The bad news: I'm well above your proposed age eligibility.

The good news: Mentally I still think I'm in my 30's.

The wife's take? She agrees I'm mental.....LOL!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 774
Rick,

No, that was a suggested minimum age to qualify for membership. There would be no maximum.

And it would be chronological age, in years. Mental and emotional ages are not things we can do much about!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Thank goodness I am below the minimum age (though not by much). I am trying to sell a secondary system and, if I do, I will try those Micro Talls. Thanks for the info.

Unregistered guest
Before purchasing the Ohm speaker line, or any other speaker for that matter, i'd do some research into phase problems with those 360 degree designs. Phase irregularities are very audable when compared to speakers with little or no phase shift, or good headphones like Stax electrostatics. I'm not saying it's not ok to like the 360 sound everywhere, but i AM saying it causes lots of phase shift and is quite un-natural. It's your money so spend it anyway you like. Sooner or later though, the phase problems this speaker presents will probably make you look elsewhere for speakers. This is the reason audiophiles usually end up with speakers like Electrostats, single drivers (lowthers, etc) and phase/time accurate systems by other manufacturers. It's the same reason CD players went from 44.1k sampling to oversampling. Phase problems are not only audable by annoying to listen to. Just my .02

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 90
Do real musical instruments radiate in only one direction?

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 183
mmm,

You bring up a very good point. However Ohm it seems has solved this problem with their "high frequency axis orientation" super tweeter, mounted high up on the Walsh driver. This makes them both time and phase coherent, or so they claim.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 469
I have no desire to have ohms throughout a 5.1 system. But I do love how they sound in stereo--love the big soundstage and the fact that you can move around and still feel as if you are centered. But I am not switching out my 2 pairs of Monitor Audio GR10's and the GR center channel in my upstairs surround system for Ohm Walsh speakers.I love that system. I am just getting them for stereo listening in my sunroom.

Silver Member

Post Number: 786
MMM,

Could you explain a little why there might be phase problems with Ohm speakers?

I completely agree. Phase coherence is indispensable for imaging, whether for stereo or surround sound. And no-one should trade it off easily. Rick described " pinpoint imaging, amazing detail," and I came away with the conclusion that the design must be particularly good at getting phase right.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 185
Gregory,

Why do I get the feeling you are going to be spending a lot of time in the sunroom?

With or without the Ohms, it sounds like a great room to hang out!

Enjoy.......

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 29
As some of you know, my speaker choice has been narrowed to Ohm or Monitor Audio. I have been leaning towards the Microwalsh Talls but found a placement issue last night when looking at my room.

My room is 12'x20'x8'. Due to a fireplace (flanked by windows and bookcases) on one short wall, windows & front door on one long wall, and door openings to dining room and hall on the other long wall, there is literally only one wall where the components can go. That would be the short wall. Currently, I have B&W's on stands flanking two cabinets that house the stereo equipment and the sub is in the right corner. This has worked great.

However, moving to a multichannel setup requires moving the TV and its cabinet back to this wall. This will mean that the cabinets alone will take up 8' of the 12' wall. Due to the front door opening against this wall, the cabinets have to be positioned off-center so there is only about 1' of space on the right side and 3' of space to the left. When I had this setup in the past, I put the sub in the left corner and had the speakers on top of the cabinets instead of on floor stands. The cabinets are 48" tall and are made of solid cherry - no mdf.

The two dilemmas...this doesn't appear to allow adequate space for floor standing speakers. And, I've read that the Ohms work best if they are 2-3' from the walls. In my room, I only have about 18-20" from the back walls to where the speakers would be placed.

This dilemma would seem to push the Monitor Audio GR10's back to the top of the list. Any suggestions that might keep the Ohms in the running?

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 31
Your question might be best directed to Ohm. You can always call, and ask to fax them a layout of your room and they can make recommendations.
You are most likely gonna get asked you about the setup anyway.
They are good about not hard selling you something that will not work.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 31
Stone,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that. I had already sent them room dimensions and system configuration and they recommended some models but this was before I realized the challenges with the layout. I'll followup with them.

chang
Unregistered guest
guys,i have a rxv1400. does microwalsh tall a good match for my receiver? if not,is there any other way to make the two match together? i need an advise also for what surround speaker to use (aside from ohm)that matches,thanks in advance

chang
Unregistered guest
much prefer bookshelves that can be place on speaker stands and can be wallmounted,thanks

Unregistered guest
I can assure you the Ohm speakers are not time/phase coherent, no matter what claims the manufacturer makes. The only x-over that can be time/phase coherent is a 1st order 6db/octave x-over. Period. Even electrostatics and single driver speakers will have more phase shift than a properly designed and implemented 1st order. Ohm speakers are omni directional, meaning sound bounces off rear walls like the old Bose 901 design. Problem with that, besides the phase shift, is no tow walls are exactly alike. A true time/phase aligned speaker will insure the high frequencies, which are very directional, reach your ears the same time the mids and lows do. Pinpoint imaging on Ohms? Lemme ask you this. Listen to a simple accoustic guitar/vocal recording. Does the giutar sound 8' high? Does the vocalist have a mouth 10' wide? This is what the Ohm gives you. Again, it's your money, spend it as you like. My advice is to listen to everything you can.....then decide. Generally, speakers that knock you over upon first listen are NOT accurate speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 803
maumusicman,

That is very clear and convincing. I understand completely. And I agree. I did not understand that Ohm speakers were intended to be omni-directional. I am always suspicious of that idea.

There is always going to be a stereo "sweet spot" simply because of the way that sound travels. It is physics, not anything to do with speaker design. With two-channel stereo, the "sweet spot" is really a "sweet line", and it is perpedicular to a line between the speakers. This does not make for sociable listening, but there is nothing anyone can do about that. Claiming technical fixes for physical limitations on what you can do is one of the recurring themes of audio hype, imho.

I have had a few exchanges on another thread with Jan Vigne about whether you can thow all these principles out of the window with surround sound. My position is not only that you can't (I suspect Jan would agree), but that they become more important to understand. Jan's position (and of course he can speak most ably for himself), and I suspect that of others, is that it is surround sound that is out of the window, and stereo is best. I thought that, too, until very recently

I always thought KEF took phase very seriously, and the Q-series and the Uni-Q driver were addressed exactly to this question. In the "Uni-Q", the tweeter and bass/midrange are on the same axis - a tough piece of engineering, but essential if you want two different drivers always to be in phase, heard from wherever you sit. I now see KEF is touting an "Instant theatre" system of surround from just two speakers, reminiscent of Bose (but with more thought behind it, I suspect). I am suspicious, but have not had chance to hear it. Any views?

"Does the giutar sound 8' high? Does the vocalist have a mouth 10' wide?" As an aside, what can anyone do about this stupid center channel.......? It shouldn't be necessary, but now everyone has it, how can we stop sound engineers making everything sound like the solo harmonica is played by Gulliver, and the band are all one tenth his size?

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 36
In the research I've done on these speakers, most of the reviewers praise the imaging of the Ohms but I did find a couple that said the imaging is not precise but they seemed to believe the overall sound made up for that. As one who is not familiar with granular details of the engineering/physics of sound reproduction, I find it difficult to know what to believe. The layout/placement challenges of my room seem to have taken Ohm out of the running for now.

Michael Emery
Unregistered guest
Greetings, group. I have no idea who you people are, but I'm pleased to meet you in this here forum. :-)

I'm a long-time Ohm Walsh2 -- they are EXCELLENT -- owner who would like to know more about Lincoln Walsh himself. Today's Google- search for such relevance has in fact led me to this particular niche on the Web -- this forum. Does anybody know of any Walsh biography?

Silver Member

Post Number: 863
Greetings, Michael.

Rick Barnes started this thread, and seems to have been away from the forum for a few days, but I am sure he will be back.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 189
Michael,

I'm afraid I have never been able to find a biography on the late Lincoln Walsh. The only info is bits and pieces mentioned in various reviews. Sorry.........

Michael Emery
Unregistered guest
My own investigation of Lincoln Walsh led me to focus on his purported WWII radar work, perhaps with the skunkworks Rad Lab of that time. I suspect that Walsh wasn't one of the BIG THINKERS of that effort, but merely one of the many bright engineers who were involved in this breakthrough effort that seemingly precipitated advancement in every tech area.

Many of these Rad Lab alums (and others) are collected at the web site of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. IEEE has a historical, educational presentation <http://www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/> that I heartily recommend. Most interesting amongst this, they have a collection of interviews <http://www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/oral_histories/oh_alph_menu.htm l> that detail topics spanning technologies from acoustics, to biotech, to computers and the internet, to well, radar and beyond! The interviewees are sharp people who've forged progress and created many of the technologies we hold common today. It all started somewhere, and these folks invented it.

The IEEE also has an online virtual museum <http://www.ieee-virtual-museum.org/> that currently features an exhibit on "How Sounds are Recorded and Played." But with all of this diverse and serious information, I don't think there's any mention of my man, Lincoln Walsh. This is where he should be remembered, if anywhere. :-(

Nonetheless I will continue to visit IEEE's online collections, and I hope that you take a look too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us