B&W DM603 or paradigm monitor 7

Username: Audiogeek

Post Number: 1
I have a NAD C-370 and I want ot buy speaker for different style of music. What should I take between B&W DM603 and paradigm monitor 7. I always tought paradigm was ordinary speaker but I tought they sound great for the low price. Is it worthed to spend more for the B&W? I heard B&W are good for classical but not for rock Pop rock...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2107
It's a matter of personal preference boby we can't make that choice for you. They are both quality speakers but you need to determine your priorities and and make your decision based on that not what any of us say. Can you listen to both where you live? If so, I suggest that you do that.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1126
It is a personal prefference,but the 603 is a far superior speaker in detail and resolution,while the monitor 7 has great authority,although the 603 is right with it in that regard to.The 603 by a long margin.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 724
Boby -
You need to listen to them. Not to bash Tawaun, but I personally prefer the Paradigms by a long margin. It all depends on what you're looking for. Their are many others here who would recommend completly different brands hands down. The only opinion that matters is your's. Listen to as many different speakers as you can. While we're good for suggesting different speakers within a price range, we shouldn't be the ones to tell you what sounds best to your ears. That's your job. Read some threads on this page for different ideas/opinions on the subject. I'm sure you'll find as many different opinions as their are speakers.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2122
Having listened to the Paradigm Monitor 5's next to the B&W's I can honestly say that I preferred the Paradigm by just a whisker. The High end was more refined with the B&W but from there on down the Paradigm gave me better performance. Last time I listened to both speakers we were using Rotel components which work very well with B&W. Like I said before they are both good speakers. The Monitor 7 is a little boomy so you may want to consider the Monitor 5.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1139
The monitor 5 is the one speaker in the Monitor line that stands above the rest to my ears,I owned the floorstanding version of the Monitor 5 about 8 years ago and that was the best one in the line then and the new one is better that,the Mini momonitor is good to,but besides those 2 the 600 line runs away from them in detail and resolution and a more focused soundstage,with better build quality.If you like the Paradigm sound look into the Monitor 5 or the Mini monitor,or better yet look at the Studio 20s to me thats where the Paradigms are better than the 600 line.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2131
To me the Paradigm Reference (v3) line is competetive with the 700 series.

Bronze Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 46
I heard a Mcintosh through some Paradigms... like small floor standing models (or I dont know if you'd call them that)... I think it was a Studio 40 but I remember them being slightly taller.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that speaker. However, it did benefit greatly from the small room.

There is a lot of personal preferance involved of course too. And then there is the mix and match factor - some amps are too bright for some speakers and vice versa, some speakers want power and some don't, and some speakers benefit from a good hifi amplifier and some of them you can buy the best amplifiers in the world and will still sound like noise pollution. :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2139
I have the Studio 40's. They are a large standmount speaker. I love'em, they sound great with a variety of different genres of music and represent an excellent value.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1141
I agree the Refference V3 line is competitive with 700 line its very close,I love the 40s they have the right amount of power and grace.Id take them over the 705s,yeah those two lines are very close.I just heard both lines a couple of weeks ago,but I really liked the 704s though,but I bought the Epos M12.2s and sold the Epiphonys to my dad,the Epos are astounding,I have to give P.Bayless credit the Green Mountains are increadible for $2295 they bring pianos to life like no speaker I've ever heard,but they are extremely foward but I could live with that,I like the 12.2s better more it had more refinement in the treble and a moe layered midrange,but probably because the GMs sound is so forward both speakers have oustanding bass,the M12.2 is awsome speaker regardless of price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us