Crown Pro-Audio amps, just curious...

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2748
Came across this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=418666

Which had me curious enough to look up this ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crown-XLS402-XLS-402-Pro-Power-Amplifier-NEW-FREE-SHIP_W0QQi temZ7359920817QQcategoryZ64451QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now I'm very very happy with my famous Panny, but am a bit curious at what a $300, 2x400watt analog amp must sound like...has anyone ever heard one of these things?

Please tell me it's not the Cerwin Vega of amps, is it?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6356

Excuse me! You're curious what a $300 amplifier producing 400 watts sounds like?!

Crown is extreme roadie gear. You buy it because you know your roadie is going to drop it off the balcony when he takes it down after the show, he's going to kick it down a few flights of stairs to get to the loading dock, then he's going to toss it to the guy in the truck when he's not looking and the truck will run over it on the way out. The Crown will still work at the next gig.

In other words, you don't buy Crown because of how it sounds.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 70
It really depends on the amp, some of them are decent and can be used for home use. But they arn't made for it. You would really need to try one out for your self.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2749
ahhhh, thanks for the heads up. I had a feeling it might be too good to be true...

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 494
crown is respected for sound quality too. back in the days before high end audio... crown amps were the levinsons of their day.

just like panasonic recievers... i bet crown class-d amps sound awesome. their class d ones are the ones with the pregnant bulge in the center of the front panel and that come in funky colors.

the biggest drawback with using their cheaper amps would be the fan noise i bet.

crown amps aren't just famouse for their reliability... they have nice sound quality too. some recording studios use crown amps for their monitors you know.

i really wish i had one of my "mix" magazines around. i seem to remember back in the 90s at least, that crown and hafler amps were two of the most common ones in control rooms. mixing with a garbage sounding amp wouldn't make sense.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us