Hey Art-- RX-V657 vs. HK

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 57
I'm buying a new HT-audio setup and I'm down between these two. I really want XM radio, but I do have a MyFi so I might be able to use that even with the HK.

I'm going with Ascends on the speakers and Hsu sub.

Which receiver do you like better for this setup? (If I go HK I'll probably buck up for the 435, a little more expensive than the Yammie, of course)

Can you compare the sounds?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2073
The HK has a better amp and at least as good a sound. I would go for the HK. I have the Yammie because I have an external amp and I love the XM. I also believe that the Yammies are a little more bulletproof. Overall though if you don't have an external amp I suggest the HK, and the AVR435 is an outstanding choice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Thanks!

But... if you think the sound quality is pretty much equivalent, than I still want to lean towards the Yamaha. The Ascend speakers are fairly efficient, and my room isn't all that big, so (and tell me if I'm naive) I'm not that worried about the Yammie not having enough power.

Like you, too, I really want quality XM radio.

On the other hand, it still seems that all the Ascend owners seem to have HK's. So I might be missing something.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2735
> On the other hand, it still seems that all the Ascend owners seem to have HK's. So I might be missing something.

That's easy to answer: Ascend speakers are famous for their fabulous midrange, and HK receivers are also known for fabulous midrange. Put the two together and you have DOUBLE-fabuloso midrange! : )

Personally I love how my Ascend 340s sound with the all-digital Panasonic sa-xr55 (highs, lows, *and* mids), but don't mention it around Art ... LOL!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
>>>Personally I love how my Ascend 340s sound with the all-digital Panasonic sa-xr55 (highs, lows, *and* mids)<<<

Edster-- Personally that was my thinking, too... at least between the Yammie and the HK, I was thinking the Yammie would perhaps 'balance' out the Ascends a little more instead of giving more of the same.

From my complete newb theoretical perspective, I would think a digital receiver like the Yammie or Panny would be a better complement for Ascends. I guess I need to do an A/B test. Maybe by trying to "balance" them I just end up negating the better traits of both.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2742
Yes I think an AB test, preferably blind if you can enlist a friend or spouse, is always the best approach. Just keep in mind that the Panny does need about 2-3 days break-in time according to most users.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2081
"Edster-- Personally that was my thinking, too... at least between the Yammie and the HK, I was thinking the Yammie would perhaps 'balance' out the Ascends a little more instead of giving more of the same."

Except in my opinion the HK isn't really a warm sounding receiver, Marantz is. The HK is just a good sounding receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2746
I've heard the HKs described as "neutral" usually, but some people use the term "warm."

Ascends are almost ALWAYS described as "neutral."

I agree with Art that Marantz is "warmer" than HK.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
I guess this is perhaps my biggest question although I don't know if you can answer--

Which will sound better, XM radio through the Yamaha with connected antenna, or XM radio through the HK connecting with a portable MyFi radio?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2097
You're right I don't know. Sorry. One thing is for sure I love the XM radio. Right now it gets more hrs of play than any other source in my system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2775
MT,

probably about the same. Just make sure you have the antenna mounted within sight of the southern horizon or you'll get lots of static.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 339
Ed and Art, of course you know I own and HK,so I'm a little biased,but I would say it's sound is very transparent rather than warm,neutral,or bright.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2103
Neutral and transparent I tend to use interchangeably, so I agree with you. I also believe that Yamaha RX-V series receivers are neutral sounding. Here's where we get into a bit of trouble because they sound different. Using a reference point of absolute transparency the HK is ever so slightly warm and the Yamaha ever so slightly dry (I use dry because I don't think it's bright at all, unless you are driving the amp too hard which I don't do).

As far as the XM antenna placement. Mine sits on my Hsu subwoofer. It's on the south end of the room but actually faces west. I have never had any static or breakup of any kind.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2776
I agree with Art's terminology. Haven't had a chance to hear the Yamaha 657 though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us