4 speakers for ATP3

Anonymous

Hello,
I'm considering adding two more speakers to my 2.1 system. I don't know if it's safe to try without burning the amp, so if it's possible I'd like to hear some feedback.

I own an Altec Lancing ATP3 2.1 system. I also have two Aiwa speakers I would like to add to Altec's amp. There are no additional entries in the amp. The Altec speakers are @ 4 ohm and the Aiwa ones are @ 6 ohm.

Altec's right speaker connects to the amp using a custom connector so I guess my only option is to connect the two Aiwa speakers to the RCA-based connector of Altec's left speaker.

Your thoughts?
Thanks,
Asaf

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6322

Why do you want to add more speakers? This will not create a suround system in the sense that the rears would be producing ambience material. So what are you expecting from two more speakers? Do you have any idea what the sensitivity specs of the two pairs of speakers are?

Anonymous

Hello Jan,
Thanks for answering. I want to see whether music can sound better in the sense of a surrounding sound. It is obvious that it cannot produce the same effect as an original surround system ...

About the specs, I looked at the user manuals but was not sure what numbers I should report.
The Altec system's specs are at http://www.altecmm.com/downloads/ATP3%20sell%20sheet.pdf
The Aiwa's speakers specs are on page 38 at http://www.us.aiwa.com/files/manuals/omanuals/S6CL7909016.pdf

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 681
im sorry anony, your idea is beyond me. you cant afford to buy a new set of comp speakers? im sorry but the idea is plain stupid. i doubt that the amp in the altec bass unit can handle a parallel hook up. you can get a set of decent speakers, way better than the ATP3 speakers for like $120. do yourself a favor and just look at a new set of speakers.

Anonymous

Just trying to find a use for leftover speakers. :/

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 684
if you really want to use those speakers try the sonicimpact t-amp. its relatively cheap, you will have to look for it on ebay since most stores will be back ordered, about $30-$40. it puts out 15W per channel stereo. you can then instead use a miniplug splitter and run son miniplug cable to the new amp and you will have two sets running. sorry if if was too forward.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us