THX Question

Username: Jbrhee

Torrance, CA

Post Number: 2
Just curious what everyone's thoughts are about having a receiver that has THX surround sound support. I wanted to get a Yamaha receiver with THX sound support but I bought the Denon 2106 and since I can't return it, I decided to use it. But unfortunately, it doesn't support THX. :-(

Is there a huge difference between THX, DTS, and Dolby Digital?

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 333
JBRhee: THX, a trade mark of Lucas Films Ltd., is actually not a surround format but a system of standards applied to the audio and video content of films. When a receiver or pre/pro is in THX mode it actually is applying extra processing parameters to the DD or DTS soundtrack. Some of these processing techniques include tighter volume regulation in all channels and post processing after the digital signal has already been decoded. While it is obvious that THX material does sound quite good,many including myself feel that THX certification in consumer audio and video equipment is overated, since much gear that is not THX certified will often outperform equalvilent gear that is. Don't let this be the deciding factor in your purchase of a receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us