Phase Technology speakers?

Dynacofan
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I've been in the market to replace my stinky Jbl E series. I been doing the usual route of endless reading, searching, etc. I came across "Phase Technology" speakers and they seem so good but yet I never hear of them on the forums and such. They seem to good to be true, made in USA, 10 year warranty, "exotic" woofer material, quality construction, etc. And yet I can find a pair of their floorstanders new for $340...seems fishy..Any feedback on this brand? I know of no local stores carrying them.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6235

Phase Tech's parent company is a fairly old speaker manufacturer who began their business producing O.E.M. drivers for other speaker companies. They have patents on several items that have become common place on most loudspeakers today. In the 1980's the company began producing complete speaker packages under the Phase Technology name and distributed to independent dealers who carried lines such as McIntosh, Bang & Olufsen, Magnepan, etc. Today Phase Tech has become a high end "house" brand loudspeaker still sold in small audio shops and independent chains. The line offers good performance for the money spent. You can do better than PT for a bit more money and you can definitely do worse for the same money.

Dynacofan
Unregistered guest
Very interesting. Now Jan, I know you know your stuff and I know rating speakers is all very subjective but; would you say going with a pair of Athena F2.2's is doing worse, or better, than a pair of Phase tech Teatro 7.5's for literally the same price {$400}? I know sound wise that is up to my ears to decide, but from a dollar 2 dollar stand point which do you feel is the better speaker, in terms of quality and parts used? As far as price the Teatro's usually go for $325 each, so in that sense I would be getting a better bargain. I'd also like your take on country of origin. The phase techs are designed and built in USA, where as Athena's are designed in North America but they are built in China. I guess I am just asking if this would influence your choice of speakers what so ever? Thanks for your help Jan.

Unregistered guest
I owned the Teatro 7.5's and really enjoyed them. They are an excellent value for the money and are perfectly at home with movies and music. I have since upgraded to the PC1.1II. $340 new is an excellent price. I also had the Phase Tech's hooked up to a Cary Superamp and the combination was very good.

Phase Tech is still one of the best kept secrets in Home Audio.

Dennis

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6254

I like the sound of speakers which have a particular "national character" but where they are designed or built is minimal to my choice. That character exists in speakers from all over the world. There is a matter of whether you want jobs to exist here or there, but that is another issue you will have to deal with on your own.

Dynacofan
Unregistered guest
Great to hear! I ordered the Teatro 7.5's over the Athena's and I feel like it was a wise choice. I really like the 10 year warranty the phase techs have. The titanium woofer looks really slick too. Seems like most Phase tech owners upgrade to better phase techs, not another brand entirely. I like that.

Unregistered guest
Good choice Dynacofan. What finish did you get?

Dynacofan
Unregistered guest
Well, I had to go with the black because the other color was still at $325 each. I don't mind black, it fits well with just about any color scheme. These speakers will be like my foot in the door for nice new gear. My old Dynaco's are history *sighs*, had some nice tannoys before too, but that's the best I've ever had. I tried the "big name brand" route recently, i.e Jbl, DCM, etc., but that was a bad experience. The Jbl E series I just had were horrible, I'm still trying to shake off the experience. Well, I'm excited and rambling so take care!

Unregistered guest
Dynacofan, i just came across www.onecall.com and they have the teatro 7.5 for only $165.00 each!! I have had these speakers for over 5 years now and have no complaints. They are really good for their price range.

Did you pay 400.00 each or $400 for the pair? The price on onecall is for each which comes to around 330.00 for the pair. You can also match those up with the centers for 115.00.

baoma
Unregistered guest
oops didn't see that you could get them for $340.00 pair. Never mind my previous post.

When i bought these new back in 2001, i paid 300.00 each. So you are getting a smoking deal.

THe new series that they have now are awesome from what i've read and heard, but their prices have gone up too :-(

ANyways have fun and enjoy those speakers. BTW you will have to break them in for a period of time before you will be able to hear their true sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us