Torn between choosing Yama RX V1400 or Marantz 7300

Username: Phucsafi

Post Number: 1
I am living in Viet Nam. In my country the Marantz 7400 is not yet available only 7300; but the Yamaha RX-V1400 is ready. On document, the 1400 is newe and better (THX, 7.1, 110 RMS/chanel...) but frankly I do not like the brand Yama so much. The price diference is small, the 7300 sold for 640 USD and Yama is sold for 660 USD. I am using F,C,SW of JM lab and BMW 601 S3 for SR. Currently using denon 1803

I heard that the Marantz sounds more warmer.

Is there any people experienced help me.

Anonymous

I personally am not sure that marantz is so much better than your current denon 1803-of course it will be somewhat better simply because it is more powerful and higher model than your current denon--but if you like your current denon and you would rather save the money stick with what you have until they come out with something much better or with more features(within the next 1-2 years).if you don't need a lot of power you could also try the marantz 4400,5400 for at least half the price of the 7300 I would think(if you don't need the extra power of the 7300 you will probably be very happy and they will probably sound better,more musical than your current 1803).

Bronze Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 61
If you can find the 5400 OSE, buy it. It sounds even better than the 7300, and is definitely more musical and warmer than the Yamaha.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 166
Dang

We have the Marantz 7300 and we are extrememly happy with the warm open sound it delivers. But, I imagine Vietnam can be very humid and hot at times and under these conditions the 7300 may overheat unless you add a small 12v fan over the top vents. I'm not sure if the same would apply to the 5400 - it gets great reviews.

Post Number: 2
To: My Rantz,

Thank you, my country not heat all the year and we got aircon. I think Marantz did research global climate for their product already. Did you feel 7300 is so hotter than other competitor with same power? Can it sound better than Denon or Yamaha. How about Marzntz 7300 in Home theatre mode?

I really like the warm sound of Marantz but not yet try with my speakers. The 1803 is warm enough but can not immage how better the Marantz is?

One more thing i want to change my old Receiver is the learning remote controler of 7300. Now I have to use atleast 4 controler for my Hifi and TV systems :-)

Thank you,

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
Dang,

In January, in QLD Australia, we had a record heatwave with very high humidity. And We have no air-con!

Our 7300 got very hot - almost too hot to touch and one time went into protect mode. The small fan solved the problem, Since then, it has performed flawlessly and sounds great with audio and home theatre surround.

We have JBL Xti60's for mains, B&W LCR6-s2 centre and JBL wall mounted s3611's for rears and an Aus made Richter sub.

The Denon's are usually considered a little dry sounding and the JMlabs (according to Hawk whose opinion I trust) are a little bright which would suit the Marantz better than the Denons.

If you have air-con, I think you'd be happy with the 7300. Like all receivers take notice of the manual regarding the space required for ventillation.

I don't know what your power supply is in VC but if you buy from the US check the voltage.

Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
Also Yamahas are considered bright. Not sure about he new RX-1400 but with your JMlabs your soundstage may be too bright. But I have no personal experience in saying this only that it is from opinions from knowlegable people in this form.

Post Number: 3
Thanks My Ranz,

I supposed your name closed to Marantz so you are a Marantzer :-). Since years, I learnt Denon and Marantz are be loved in music like Sony in TV. I am not an exception and more over, I really the design of Marantz and Denon. Just wonder with V1400, I get newer model (2003vs2002) with extra 7.1 (even I have not enough speaker), more power, THX... so I need you help.

I have a trial in the shop with the same JMlab chorus 715 as me in source direct stereo mode. Trully musical and warm! I am not it is the space condition or not?

Thanks,

Phuc

Can you let me know with 7300, can we assign 02 speakers out put as the second zone while 5.1 still playable at main room. I am afraid not as 7300 just capable of 6.1 only.

Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 1
Dang Tran Phuc - I am trying to make the same decision right now. I have owned the sr7300 for approx. 16 months now and think it is a nice receiver. I have it paired up with a pair of B&W Dm602 s3 and an LCR 6 s3 and feel that it lacks punch. My room acoustics aren't the greatest so I went out and purchased the Yamaha rx-v1400 for its YPAO function which helps to tame unfriendly frequencies and balance out the system. To be honest, I am not completely sold on the YPAO functionality since my room is very difficult to tame (open concept square room with 20' ceilings and lots of windows = lots of unwanted sound reflections). That said, my Yamaha does sound better with my B&W speakers than my Marantz. The Marantz has a wonderful warm sound and so do my speakers. The problem is that you shouldn't try to match warm with warm so to speak because movies and music will lack sparkle and life (my personal opinion). By adding the Yamaha to the mix, I hear far greater detail and life, despite my room accoustics. Will I keep the Yamaha? I don't know yet - I need more time to play around. I may end up keeping the Marantz and try purchasing a more forward speaker since my B&Ws haven't depreciated in value like my Marantz has. My suggestion to you is, if you have "warm" sounding speakers, avoid a warm sounding reciever and try out something a little more forward sounding.

Good luck.

Mark.

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
Phuc

Yes, the Marantz is capable of both audio and video multizoning. Personally 5.1 or 6.1 is plenty for me and THX is also a non issue as far as I'm concerned. If you want more power well only you can decide.

Mark

Note Phuc's main speakers are JMlabs!

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 3
Sorry - I just have never had the opportunity to listen to JMLabs. Are they characteristically warm sounding?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
According to Hawk (a regular and respected poster) the JMlabs are more on the bright side. BTW excellent speakers though.

Post Number: 4
Thank you My Rantz,

I'll make my choice moving toward the 7300. Actually I like the 7400 but it is not available here in Viet Nam yet. Just last question: the 6400 is the sucessor and price is nearly the same. But I have seen the PDF specification, the 6400 is still the lower end model (still 6.1, no more surround format, weaker power, same remote...). Do you know 6400 has something more advanced than 7300?

Phuc

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
Phuc

I don't think the 6400 has any real advancements over the 7300. The 7400 is not in Aus yet either and the only real benefit of this model over the 7300 is video up conversion to component output.

The 7300 is very well built and unlike all the new 400 series is built in Japan. Many will say that doesn't matter and really, it may not. But I do have a preference for Japanese made. There is also a 7300 OSE which has a HDCD decoder, copper plated chassis, 110w per channel and some wiring tweaks. But it costs about $500 AUD more.

You can visit the Marantz website and find specs and even past product spec (7300) go to the USA site for these. www.marantz.com

I think any of the new Marantz models from the 5400 and up are fine. If you absolutely want 7.1 you could always add another amp to the equation, but IMO I think 7.1 is unnecessary only really suitable for large rooms.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Post Number: 5
Thank you all especially My Rantz.

After many review opinions, I will end up with SR6400 that is great deal in my country (only USD 500.00 in comparison with USD 599.00 www.hifi.com). Another option is SR 7300 for USD 640.00. I will try both at shop to determine. I think Marantz want to cover our market that's why they sell the SR 6400 so cheap I think.

Do you have any more option for me? I use almost music, rare HT.

Phuc

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
Phuc

I believe you will be happy with either model, but you could ask your dealer if you can exchange so you can test with your speakers in your home to make sure you are satisfied. Some good audio dealers will do this if they are interested in maintaining a return customer base.

Listening with your own ears is the only way to determine if the sound is suitable for you. People are different and so are their tastes, hearing and opinions.

All I can say is that we are very satisfied with our Marantz and hope you find the receiver that will give you many years of pleasure.

Let us know when you have made your purchase and tell us what you think after using it for a while.

Hope those on this thread have helped. Cheers

Post Number: 6
Dear My Rantz,

Sorry to ask many things I am using Denon 1803 now, the remote control just have pre-set code for other compenent but some button is lack. I've knew that remote controler of 6400 and 7300 has learnt function. So we can set to make it learn every buttons on other controlers. Eg. When set to TV function on Marantz controler, whether it can learn all fucntion of my Sony TV and when set to DVD function, it can learn all button on my DVD player... so on or the Marantz is limited on number of space in controler? Eg. Total is 20 space, if leanrt for TV is 15 (channel only is 10 already) so there will be only 5 spaces for other equipment?

Thank you very much. Sure I will post my opinions when purchase is made.

Phuc

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
Phuc

No problem!

I admit I have not used the learn functions yet so I cannot give an answer. I'm not bothering until we upgrade our Tv and DVD player. They are supposed to be used for most of your remote controllable A/V gear but how many I'm not sure. Your dealer should be able to answer this. You might be able to download a manual from the marantz website.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 143
Phuc,

To be sure, your JMlab speakers are on the bright, or forward side. The Denon you are using now is also bright sounding, and not a good match. A Yamaha receiver is ever brighter, so not a good match either. You should be looking at a warm sounding receiver such as a Marantz, Pioneer, or Harmon Kardan. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 503
Markus:

I just got back into town and thought I would answer your question.

I would say no, JMlabs are not a warm sounding speaker. They are very detailed and just a little cool. Accurancy is top drawer, but as a cool sounding speaker, you must be careful to match with the proper electronics. I think JMlabs makes a wonderful combination with either Harman/Kardon or Pioneer Elite, where the JMlabs can deliver all of the detail from the receiver, but also tames a very reserved, laid back sound from the receiver. Moves the listener from the back of the concert hall to the 10th to 15th row. Conversely, makes a horrible combo with either Yamaha or Denon, especially the former.

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 4
Thanks Hawk. Good to know. Out of curiousity, what is your opinion of matching B&W speakers to a Marantz receiver?

Thanks,

Markus
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us