Meridian 580-20 CD Player?

Bronze Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC

Post Number: 71
If checking over a used CDP (claimed to be in that ubiquitious 'mint' coindition) what in general should I look for during inspection? This is likely a 7-8 yr old unit?
Also, any one have any opinions on this player?

Username: Willfi

Post Number: 8
Do you mean 508-20? if so very warm and musical, excellent package but not as dynamic or extended as the some of the latest. Can be upgraded to 24bit status but not worth it as you could purchase a used one already modded for less of a difference.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2008
The average lifespan of the mechanism in a cd player is 7-8 yrs. Don't think I would buy one that old, just my opinion.

Bronze Member

NYC

Post Number: 76
Yes Will that was a typo, the 508-20 and thanks for the info. Any idea of what the going price is for the 508-20?
Good point Art.

Bronze Member
Username: Willfi

Post Number: 14
Under a 1k for sure. I wouldn't be too worried about the longevity as Meridian's are tanks, so if the owner seems decent and it looks unharmed, it should still have many good years of life.

Bronze Member

NYC

Post Number: 78
Good to hear that Will.
I auditioned some speakers today and I asked the audio salesman his take on a 7-8 yr old Meridian 508.20: he used your same description "it's built like a tank".
Seller claims it has under 10 hrs play time on it. I'm going to have a look at it today.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2021
If it has 10 hrs or less on it, it should be a safe purchase. Just remember being built like a tank is a description of the unit, it does not change the avg live of the mechanism.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us