Help me build my system.

Username: Msu2000

Post Number: 1
I just moved into a condo and although it's small, the TV room is a pretty decent size (21x24). I don't have a lot of budget for a sound system as I just got married and have other priorities (wife's new shoes), but I was looking at the Infinity TSS-1100, which are on eBay for $600. All I know about these speakers is that they are in my price range, and was looking for some advice.

I really don't know much about this, but I would prefer something that is better sounding as opposed to very loud. I would also need a receiver to go with, and my total budget is going to be around $800 or so. (I would be very happy if I could get away with spending less than this...)

I know this doesn't really give a lot of information, but are there any excellent speaker/receiver combos in the $500-800 range that some of you have had luck with? Please advise!

Thanks very much.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 149
Dude, if you can spend 6-Bills, by all means, call Tony @ http://www.dependableaudiovideo.com/ and ask him for his best price on a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's.

Also, you can purchase a Marantz Receiver here http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category/AVReceiver at a rock bottom price.

I've done business with both these site, and they're top notch.

Anonymous

Given the Infinity speakers that you listed in your post, can I assume you are looking for full surround system rather than a pair of speakers?

If this is the case the options I would suggest 2 pairs of Athena AS-B1 speakers for $99 a pair from audioadvisor.com and the AS-C1 center also for 99. You might also consider getting a third pair of the AS-B1's instead of the center speaker as this would allow for 6.1 and slightly better performance over the AS-C1. I don't know how much of an issue aesthetics and placement would be for you though. For the receiver, the Panasonic SA-XR55 seems to be getting good reviews on here for $230 from Amazon. Alternatively you can get the Pioneer VSX515-K for $180 from www.jr.com. Finally for the subwoofer you can stick with the Audition AS-P4000 Subwoofer for $299. An alternative to this though such as Dayton from partsexpress.com.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 150
Ditto, on the Athena AS-B1's. I would have to pass on the Panasonic (I'm not sold on digital amps yet), The Pioneer is a nice choice (you might find a factory refub here http://stores.ebay.com/Pioneer-Electronics_Receivers_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQftidZ2 QQtZkm for a little less $$$), but I would still spend a few more bucks for a factory refurb Marantz, or perhaps a Denon @ www.ecost.com .

As for a sub, Yes, consider this Dayton 21" 150 Watt Subwoofer http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-634&ctab=14 , It seens to have some fans out there.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 151
P.S. I would stay away from eBay speakers unless they are Factory Direct or New In Box. Speakers don't travel well.

Post Number: 2
You would recommend the AS-B1 for rear speakers as opposed to the AS-R1? Thanks for all of your feedback thusfar! The R1 might be a bit easier to work with

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2628
I agree with Anonymous, this would be my config:

Panasonic sa-xr55 receiver, $230 shipped, amazon.com

2 pairs Athena AS-B1s, 1 AS-C1 center, $300 from audioadvisor.com

I'd stretch your budget by an extra $100 for the Hsu STF-2 sub, at $425 shipped new or $350 shipped B-stock from hsuresearch.com (you have to call them for the B-stocks).

That would demolish any HTIB speaker systems and a comparable $200-300 analog receiver (some people have preferred the Panny to higher end analog AVRs costing as much as $3000):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...t=591368&page=3

specifically, read posts #53, 56, and 57 from that link I posted for a small sample. These are owners of a Denon 5800, HK7000, HK7200, and Denon 3802.

(Nice thing about avsforum is how they number each post in each thread for easy reference.)

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 159
Edster, why are you so sold on the panasonic?

Post Number: 3
Geez, instead of paying $100 for front AS-B1's and ~$50-80 for stands, would I be better off paying the extra money for the AS-F1's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2631
Christopher,

Direct personal experience, mainly...it outclassed both my Marantz 5400 and NAD separates by a wide margin. Also reading about other people's experience with it. Would not be so amazed if it cost $1000 instead of a paltry $230.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2632
Jeff if you can find the F1s for $180/pair then by all means, get those. Will have better bass response, certainly.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all the input! I'm looking to make a purchase in the next day or so and will let you all know how it turns out!

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 162
...Better than Marantz & NAD? I am REALLY shocked! I respect you opinion. It's really that good, huh? I need to listen one soon. What's your set-up with the Panasonic?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2635
Christopher,

yep, go back to my xr55 thread and read the very first post when the xr55 first came in, then a few days later I have another long post when I went back to the NAD and Marantz after a couple of days listening only to the Panny.

My setup: 3 Ascend 340s across the front, Polk R20s as surrounds, (awful) JBL e150 subwoofer. I bought the xr55 originally just for 2-channel music but now am using it for HT as well---its spectacular detail especially comes in handy for movies.

Anonymous

And everyone on Ecoustics weeps for Eddie and how the mighty NAD was thrown aside for a lowly Panasonic.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2639
Anon, you're a couple of weeks behind. All that weeping has already come and gone, causing a nationwide spike in Kleenex prices.

Anonymous

I know. Some of us still weep for you Eddie. We just wait for that magical day when you listen to your NAD again and remember what you lost switching to that God forsaken Panny.

The next bout of weeping will be when you "upgrade" from your Marantz CD player to a $60 Toshiba DVD player from Circuit City.

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 425
i have the panasonic xr-55 along with the Athena AS-B1s (1 pair) and AS-C1. i spent $425 just as Edster has said and i have to say i am very very pleased. the sound is so clear its amazing, especially with more classical music (my girlfriend listens to a lot of sarah mclachlan--wow beautiful sound coming out of these speakers!!!). i have not heard any other systems to compare mine to but considering i have a 7.1 A/V receiver with superb audio quality, and have it all for just $470 after wiring i dont know what more you could ask for. In a large room these speakers may not get super loud but thats not what you want and you would have to upgrade to larger floorstanders for this. if your going for great sound for both music and home theater in your price range ide say purchase my exact setup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2641
LOL Anon, thanks for reminding me, I've been meanining to check out that Toshiba for a while now.

As for the Panny I really think much of my enthusiasm comes from how it interacts with my Ascends, which allow all that amazing digital detail to come through cleanly without ever getting bright or hollow sounding.

On another forum one of the rare dissatisfied Panny users revealed that he had it hooked up to a JBL e-series setup, God help him.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2642
btw Anon, look at post #1260, it's another NAD owner favoring the Panny:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504&page=42&p p=30

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 163
Edster,

Since you have an experience with the Marantz SR5400, let me ask you a question, did you experience volume issues with you center ch. in surround mode? I can't seem to adjust the level to suit my ears.

Still, The Marantz handles music like nothing else, IMO.

I'm glad to see someone else seems to have work within a budget.

You are the Eduardo that posted that glowing review of the XR55 on amazon, correct.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us