Should I Build A box For in Wall Speakers?

Username: Mrckone

Toledo, Ohio U.S.A.

Post Number: 1
I was wondering if it would be worth my while to build a box in the wall to enclose in wall speakers? The room itself is only 10 feet wide by 14 feet long. Therefore not alot of floor space. Also, the wife would like something that looks okay and hidden. This room will be used for everything (movies,music, etc.)
This will be some what new construction in that the frame is up. All I am doing is replacing paneling with drywall, insulation and some sort of sound deadener. I know that in wall speakers dont always sound as good as on wall or floor standing. But like I said. If I want a decent setup I need to please the wife as well. Basically I will be building an enclosure for the speakers, so that they do not use the entire wall to create there sound. And no I do not know which set I will be getting. That was my next question. But I will put that one in the appropriate area. Any help that I can receive would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6198

It depends on the speakers:

http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/index.htm

Toledo, Ohio U.S.A.

Post Number: 2
I was looking at going either with a set of polk audios, not sure which series or model yet. Or with a set of b&w's, also not sure of model, series etc. I have also heard that JBl are a decent setup. Thanks for your help

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 161
CKH..if you are trying to put speaker enclosures in the ceiling(polk,b&w , jbl), dont go there.
Look for better in ceiling products.
They will tell you the volunr of 12" center joists and for 14" as well

Silver Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 128
Chris;

sometimes a box is good and sometimes not. That is helpful, no?

If the run between the studs is unobstructed and open. Fill is with insulation, polyfill, etc,. That gives you a rather large space behind the wall and usually will sound quite good. Do not use the thinner drywall, it tends to reverberate and color the sound and usually not in a pleasant way.

Over the years, what I have found to make more of a difference that building a box *(for what this is worth and only from my experience and preference), is to use 3/8" plywood and make a front for the speaker, just behind the drywall. This is easy enough to do, just use a piece of plywood, attach some 1 X 3 furring strips on the inside of the studs 3/8" back and glue and screw the plywood to the furring strips. I have found about 12 to 20 inches above and below where the top and bottom edges of where the speaker will be sufficient. Make sure you put the insulation behind it.

Even though most interior walls are 2x4 construction, I have used 6" unfaced fiberglass insulation the entire length of the wall between those studs. I put construction adhesive on the front of the plywood to glue the drywall to it when installing the drywall.

By doing this it tends to tighten up and warm up the sound, stop the reverberations from the drywall and improve the bass. Or so it seems to me. This is generally easier and faster than making a box, and sometimes a box can limit the speaker a bit.

Hope that helps.

Toledo, Ohio U.S.A.

Post Number: 4
That makes alot more sense to me than trying to run the physics of it all. Thank you for taking the time to help me out. It is greatly appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us