Help needed with Speaker Volume Control

Anonymous

Sorry...if this is not the appropriate section. Couldn't find the right one.
I need help with selecting in-wall volume controls for in-wall speakers.

I have a Denon receiver (output is 80W per channel) that I want to connect to in-wall volume control in another room which should control the volume of the pair of speakers (80W) in that room. I also have an additional CAT V wire running from Volume control point to the receiver.
When I search online for volume controls, there are so many options that I don't know which one to pick.

Some have impedance matching. I don't know if impedance matching in volume controls is good or not.
Some are transformer-less. Is that a good thing?
Some are 120W peak/60 rms. Will that work for my 80W speakers?
Some are with IR receiver. I was thinking of changing the songs rather than going to other room to change it. Will IR receiver volume control be useful in that?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6186

The IR receiver will only work if the IR system is connected to the main unit. This is an entire system you buy and not an add on you can use from just one location. Buy the impedance matching units if you are not using any other impedance matching devices in the system. Other impedance matching devices would include an impedance matching speaker selector with autoformers, an amplifier with autoformers or a 70 volt distribution system. In consumer audio equipment, there are no 70 volt systems as a rule and the only autofomer based amplifiers are from McIntosh or some of the mulitple channel amplifiers meant for whole house distribution systems. That leaves the speaker selector; if it has no impedance matching devices built into it, then the I.M. should be accomplished at the volume controls.

The 120 watt peak units will work fine if they are the impedance matching units.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us