Silly question about speakers ..Help??

Anonymous

Please don't laugh to hard, but what if both front tower speakers are Lefts?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6178

They vote Democrat and will not play Rush Limbaugh.

Anonymous

ok...now that you got your chuckle in...help!!!! ;)

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1449
Most front speakers are identical for left and right and have no distinguishing marks. Do you have something different on hand?

Anonymous

Actually, I have an opportunity to buy a pair of RBH 1266SE Towers for about $1200 and the seller said that they are both LF. What are your thoughts? Will it make a differece? thank you!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6184

If the speakers are "mirror imaged", the drivers are offset from the centerline of cabinet. This allows for placement which accomodates the particulars of the room set up. Tweeters to the outside are usually for a more spacious sound. Tweeters to the inside are for small rooms with lots of reflections. Those are very general rules and placement is the most important part of the result. If the speakers are not mirror imaged, there is no such thing as a left or right speaker.

If the speakers in question are mirror imaged pairs, I would be interested in knowing why both speakers are "Left" hand models before I made a purchase. It won't affect the performance of the speakers to any noticeable degree if you don't have a "correct" pair for comparison. But, I would want to know if the seller just "forgot" to pick up the right hand speaker on his way out because the house alarm was going off.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1452
LF?

Doesn't that usually mean Low Frequency? I'm baffled.

Perhaps the 12" woofer mounted on the side is usually on either side for both speakers. I don't know what difference that would make since I've never owned such speakers. Tawaun would know.

Anonymous

Jan...Thank you so much!!!! I'm going to find out! I don't think the seller forgot...he said he's shipping it in the original boxes. I really appreciate your insight!!! take care!!!

Username: Hipcubed

Post Number: 1
Peter...sorry the LF-Left Front...thanks

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1453
Okay, make that the warehouse alarm then! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 977
According to Audiogon at:

http://show.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/shm_store.pl?spkrfull&1116274354&item&American_ theater&show&

The speaker is meant to have one 12" side firing drive unit. The 12" drive unit on each front speaker should be mirror imaged. i.e. if the 'left' speaker has the 12" drive uit on the right panel as you face it, then the 'right' speaker should have the 12" drive unit on the left panel. Look at the shot in the link above.

Having drive units side-mounted allows you to place the fronts with the drive units firing inwards or outwards. This accentuates or diffuses bass respectively, so you get an element of bass tuning depending on your room.

They should not both have the drive unit on the same side. This would unbalance the setup.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 165
Ha!

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 163
Jan is right.Or left but both the same. I see a guard dog asleep beside a doctored t-bone somewhere.

Unregistered guest
hi could someone help me out. I have lots of speakers and some very nice ones but they are not compatable with "multimedia" such as the p.c. or using them externally on a t.v. "something i so want to do" they do not have the male plug in they instead have various holes for the red and black speaker wires to be inserted and clamped. I know this is soooo elementry for many of you, but for me, it is huge and i do not know how to adapt the if , i can adapt them and what to buy or make to achieve this. I would gratefully appreciate some direction. Also, when using a mike on the p.c. does it have to be a special kind?

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 985
Jacalyn,

PC speakers are powered internally. Yours sound like they are the more usual passive speakers you would get with a HiFi or home theatre system. Therefore you need an amplifier to drive them. This can come in the form of a 2-channel amplifier, a 5 or 7 channel surround amplifier. A receiver is simply an amplifier with a radio built into it. So you can have 2-channel receivers (not so common) and 5 or 7 channel surround receivers (very common).

If you have just a pair of speakers, then all you need is a 2-channel (or stereo) amplifier. Your TV must have a stereo output for this to work. Any modern (i.e. less than 10 years old) TV will have left/right ouputs. Plug them into your new amp. Plug the amp into the speakers (located either side of the TV), and typically you will enjoy a far superior sound to that given by the TV on its own. You should turn down the volume on the TV when you do this to avoid phase effects.

If you have many speakers, you could get yourself a surround sound receiver which will allow you to benefit from full discrete surround sound from your DVDs (provided you have a DVD player), as well as Dolby Prologic from stereo sources. This is an older technology which gives the semblance of surround sound through some maths and trickery. Strictly speaking all the speakers in a surround sound system should be voiced to sound similar and this is usually best achieved by using the same brand all the way around. However, if you've got these things lying around and you fancy a dip in the surround sound water, then you could do a lot worse. Eventually, you will be able to buy new speakers which integrate seamlessly.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 168
As usual, a quality Frank type response.
Jacalyn, decide what you want to do and call back.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 646
Anonymous,

There are no silly questions. There are plenty of silly answers, even more silly speakers and more still silly people. You get decide where we all fit in. LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us