Hawk- T753 speaker opinion

Unregistered guest
Hawk:

I am upgrading my Athena series speakers as I find them just too bright and would like your opinion.

I am considering the Paradigm Studio 60's, CC470 with Studio 20's for the surround. My understanding is that the studio series changed slightly about 6 months ago and these are the new style. I also heard a rumour that a new series is coming out from paradigm but cannot confirm it.

The cost for the above mentioned speakers will be about $2250 USD so if there is something better, please help.

Also, I would appreciate your opinion on 50" screens. I have read enough to make me terrified but am willing to move forward anyway. I am struggling with the decision and would like your opinion on this as well. If you had $4K to spend, which would you buy?

Thanks.

TC

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 502
TC:

I just love spending other people's money! Can I come over to watch and listen to your system when we are done?

Seriously, though, you would be hard pressed to do better than the Studio 60s, which are very nice speakers. I would recommend the Paradigm Studio system you have priced, but I have a couple of other suggestions to look at to see what you like better. No doubt I will overlook something, but this is what comes to mind.

I would check out the NHT line of speakers--I really like the NHT ST-4 for mains, with the SC-2 center and perhaps a pair of SB-2s or SB-3s for your rear surrounds--it is a very nice system. It is certainly not bright in any way, but it is a little more forward sounding than the Paradigms (so neither is necessarily a better speaker system, just different). You simply may prefer the slightly more forward sounding NHTs. They should cost a bit less than the Paradigms, as well.

Another speaker to consider is the PSB Status series, such as the Stratus Bronze, which is a floorstander about the same size as the Studio 60s. This is easily compimented by the PSB 9C center and the Stratus Minis for the rear. The sound of the PSBs is very close to that of the Paradigms. Shouldn't cost as much as the Paradigms, either.

Finally, I have not priced them, but the new B+W 700 series sounds an awful lot like the Paradigm Studio series, IMO. I don't know the model numbers, but I have heard some and liked the overall sound very much. Worth looking into.

As for a 50" screen, I am most impressed with the Samsung HLN507, a DLP rear projector. I have always hated rear projectors since they require you to sit directly in front of the screen to really see anything. This is not true with the DLP projectors, which have a very wide viewing angle--just like a plasma screen. The picture is better than a plasma, too. It is only 14" deep, so they will not stick out into the room like conventional rear projectors, either. I anticipate getting one sometime this year for myself.

I also like the Sony Grand Wega 50" LCD rear projector, Like the Samsung, the picture is as good or better than most plasmas and yet like the Samsung, it is currently priced just above $3000 (US). The picture also has a wide viewing angle, so you don't have to sit directly in front of it. As I recall, it is only 12" deep. I would be strongly considering one of these for myself, but the cabinet is just a bit too wide for the space I have.

I have heard of a new Hitachi and LG in that size which are supposed to be very good, but I haven't seen them yet.

I hope this helps. Happy hunting, my friend!

Unregistered guest
Hawk:

As always, sincere thanks for your advice.

I will check out the speakers you have suggested.

You have listed everyone of the 50" TV's I have looked at! I have read the threads on this board and it would seem that everyone else is just as confused as I am.

I have now started to take my teenage daughter with me to listen to speakers and look at TV's. It is quite amazing that she can hear and see things instantly that I can only wish to. Also she is unbiased regarding brand name or technology. She has been a great help in my search.

You may perceive this is wonderful "bonding" experience but she is about as interested in me listening to different speakers, watching different TV's, trying to determine what she has already seen or heard instantly, as I am of standing in a barn for three hours watching her take horseback riding lessons.

So I guess I could either mount the TV and surround system in the barn or let her bring the horse into the house. Hmmm.....I'm sure there's a thread on this somewhere. :-)

TC

Username: Spock

Houston, TX

Post Number: 3
TC:

I have a T753 and a pair Paradigm Studio 60s (v2) fronts. You are correct. They did make changes and are now at v3. I picked mine up right as the models changed and therefore was given a very good deal. I don't have a center channel or surround or sub; I'd like to complete the ensemble sometime this year, if possible.

When I picked them up, I was told that, while there some upgrades to the v3, most of it had to do with the case/cosmetics. One change I did notice that I would have liked to see available for my v2s is in the front cover. It now has a plastic screen mesh behind the fabric that allows a curved rather then straight stretched fabric. I have three kids (3, 6, and 9) and the extra protection such a mesh gives the drivers would be nice.

I have really been pleased with the sound. The T753 and Studio Reference 60 combination gives a very nice, worm and full sound. They appear to also be very accurate.

For what it is worth, I also contemplating the Vandersteen 1c. Very nice, spacious sound. Had it not been for the good deal offered on the Studio 60s, I might own these instead.

-spock

Unregistered guest
Spock:

Thanks for your input. Comments like yours add to my confidence that I am making the correct decision.

Thanks again, and oh yea, live long and prosper my friend.

:-)

mab
Unregistered guest
first of all i would by a 46'' progressive scan hi-def piture-piture tv and a progressive scan dvd player that records am/fm dual hi-fi vcr that records DUAL 12-band eq 5.1 channel surround sound amplifier 170 watts rms a channel at 8 ohms doby digital dts 170 watt rms center channel/surrouns/main speakers with 18'' woofers 15'' powered subwoofer with built in 250 watt amp 2 reclining-chairs neon red rope light all the way arround the room 2 s diffrent collor strobe lights disco ball in middile of room tint your hous windows in that room put 1 fridge ijn the middile of the reclining-chairs ps2/x-box/game-cube for 6 grand and a hot tube in the coorner of the room.

mab
Unregistered guest
and sound-proof the room for 2 grand put 2 ski lights in in the hall way before the door

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 23
TC,
$2250 is a great deal for that system. i believe list is around $2900 (1500 for 60s, 800 for 20s, 600 for 470). after comparing many speakers, i am considering getting that exact same system. where did you find that pricing? thanks.

Unregistered guest
Hi bigfan:

I live just outside of Toronto, Ontario.

I have converted my price of $3000 Cdn to $2250 US.

It has been my experience that 15 - 20% below list is usually possible with most HIFI/TV equipment, although you have to negotiate aggressively to get it.

TC

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 24
tc - thanks. would love to hear how you like that setup if you end up getting it. i'm not sure whether i'd prefer the adp's in the back or the studio 20s - i can't do an audition at the dealer and the posts on this board have been all over the map on bipole vs dipole vs direct firing surrounds.

Unregistered guest
bigfan:

I thought of ADP's as well but one wall is the fireplace so I think the 20's make more sense. The 20's are also very portable so should I move and decide to get the ADP's in the future, I can use the 20's for the rears or in another area of the house.

I will gladly post my opinion once I get the system installed.

TC
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us