CD won't spin

Bronze Member
Username: Countryguy

Astorville, ON Canada

Post Number: 25
I bought a used Philips CDR200/17 CD Recorder/Player with dual trays. The player side works fine. The tray jammed on the recorder side. I took it all apart and found that the tray had come out of the track so I put it back in and now the tray opens/closes with no problem. However when I load a CD it will not turn and thus I get the error message NO DISC. I kept the cover off the unit to try and see what was going on. When the CD tray closes, there is a metal arm with a plastic spindle that drops down (it is magnetic) onto the centre of the CD. If as soon as the cd tray closes, I raise the arm, the CD starts spinning and unit then recognizes the CD and everything works OK. I am not an electronics guru so am wondering why the CD won't spin when the metal arm & disk drop down onto the CD? Any help appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 374
You bought something used without testing it? Was it off of ebay?

Bronze Member
Username: Countryguy

Astorville, ON Canada

Post Number: 27
Yes it was from Ebay. The seller claimed it worked when he sent it to me and it must have been damaged during shipping but the box didn't look damaged. The seller refuses to take it back. He did ship with insurance so now waiting for the claim to be processed.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 375
Sorry to hear that. I won't be able to help you with what seems to be a mechanical rather than electronic issue, but next time you want to buy used equipment you may want to visit Craigslist.com. You click on your local area and find a seller that you can visit and test out before you walk out with your equipment. I'm not sure where you are in Ontario, but they have a section specific to Toronto.

I have had much better luck with Craigslist than with eBay.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us