Upgrade decision (Arcam AVR250/Denon AVR3805/Rotel RSX1067)

Username: Pjboud

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I currently have the following system:
Adcom GCD-600 5 disc
Pioneer DV-578-A S
Adcom GTP-400 pre
Bryston 3B ST amp
Mirage M7si bipolars
and am itching to bring some improvements to my system.

I have been thinking about replacing the pre for an AV receiver. Opening up the possibility of going towards a home theater system, but I dont want to compromise the stereo performace. My searches are currently pointing me towards the following options (Arcam AVR250, Denon AVR3805 & Rotel RSX1067).

My usage profile is 40/60 : stereo/movie. I also look forward to having a remote.

I would appreciate any advice you may have to offer.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6169

Seems to be a bit of a waste to buy a receiver to use as a pre amp (and duplicating functions of you existing system) when you probably have a better sounding system now than most of these receivers can produce in stereo only mode. None of the receivers you mention are inexpensive. If you are truly "opening up the possibility of going towards a home theater system", I would recommend an A/V pre amp to use with your existing amplifier. Then "go towards" a HT system with speakers and amplifiers that are similar in quality to your current equipment. It amounts to a bit more money, if you buy the equipment new and not as pre-owned, but you retain the quality of reproduction and the flexibilty of a separates system. I would weigh the pros and cons of a bit more money spent on better equipment vs. money spent on a component where you will have some unused parts that you paid for.

If you opt for the receiver, you should audition the equipment in your own system before committing to a purchase.

If you are interested in looking at the options in the pre-owned market for A/V gear, start with a site such as Audiogon.

Post Number: 2
Thank you for your comments.

Considering my current equipment, which A/V pre amps do you beilieve would be worth while exploring?

Could you please also elaborate a bit on what is a HT system.

Post Number: 3
Ignore my last question about HT system (now I'm embarassed!).

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6172

I guess you mean what does "HT" refer to. HT is shorthand for home theater.

As to recommendations, I don't normally make product recommendations on the forum. I sold audio for many years and part of the process is learning about the customer's wants and needs, likes and dislikes, etc. I have no way to do that effectively through the limitations of the forum. Nor do I have any idea what product is available to anyone reading my comments. That leaves too many variables which I see as an impediment to a recommendation becoming anything more useful than saying I like this product. I might like it, but you might not.

Almost any product worth buying will have some reviews available. There are exceptions but they are meant for those people more willing to take a chance because they are curious. One advantage to buying pre-owned equipment is you re-sell for what you paid. If you buy a used pre amp and you don't like it, it's depreciation has already happened. Unless you hold onto it for two years, you can turn around and re-sell it for what you paid to buy it. So don't be afraid of that portion of the market.

Otherwise, I'm certain others will have plenty of opinions on what products you should own.

Anonymous

I just faced a very similar situation - my VERY old LINN system was playing up, and I find anyway that I use cinema more often than hifi these days.
So I swapped a LINN pre/power combo for an ARCAM 250 (kept the LINN CD deck) - results pretty much as expected i.e. a drop in quality on stereo. However the ARCAM does give a stereo 'direct' setting which by-passes all the processors and it then gives a pretty good hifi performance - on a par with other amps of around £1000 I would say. The ARCAM is a feat of endurance to set up though - you'll be fiddling with input settings etc for days !

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 983
Paul,

Given the nature of your system, you're used to buying from a dealer and going through the demo process. It's just as important a process with HT systems as it is with music systems.

If you decide to go for the processor option, here are a couple to consider, although I don't know what's available in your area:

Arcam have just launched a new processor called the AVP700 which is significantly upgraded from the processor section in the AVR300. If the AVR250 and 300 are anything to go by, the processor will have similar musicality as well as be very good on surround sound too.

Naim Audio make a more expensive processor called the AV2. Musically it's a fine product. In terms of surround sound it has its limitations (it does not do video switching for example, since it is purely an audio processor), but sonically it is one of the best.

Audiolab is just being relaunched as I write. When TAG McLaren Audio sold the company to IAG, they didn't sell the rights to the name, so IAG have had to use the Audiolab name instead (to which they did get the rights). The surround processor is a slightly upgraded version of TMA's so it should have fine performance for the money although the feature list might not be quite up there with the best.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 4
I've been reconsidering the nature of my needs. Although I indicated a usage profile of 40/60 (stereo/movie), after closer examination, it's more like 60/40. I'm now leaning towards improving the stereo quality of my system rather than going to sourround. I dont necessarily listen to films that are loaded with special effects.

As such I've run a comaparision between my GTP-400 and the Bryston BP9 and Conrad Johnson PV14LS2. Both of theses preams bring a significant improvement, and the CJ, more so (now into the tube/solid consideration).

I find the research and exploration phase of upgrading quite gratifying and also a great opportunity to learn.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us