Best match B&W 602S3 with Marantz PM7200 or NAD C320BEE

ting
Unregistered guest
Hi Wise people,
I have a pair of B&W 602S3. I am considering between amplifiers Marantz PM7200 and NAD C320BEE. I can not compare them because the NAD dealer doesn't have B&W and the Maranzt dealer doesn't have NAD.
Has anybody has experience about both of the amps. Please feel free to put your comment
All your input are appriciated

Username: Willfi

Post Number: 3
Two different sounding amps, the NAD more warm and rounded, with excellent tonality, while the marantz is more dynamic and revealing. Choose the one that you think are the speakers weakest point and you'll be happy.
What is the source?

ting
Unregistered guest
Thanks Will for your input. The source is Marantz CD67MKIISE. Would love to get your opinion. Is it good combination Maranzt CDP/Maranzt Amp.

Username: Davej

Post Number: 1
Hey ting, I have heard both these amps with the b&w 602 speakers. The marantz sounded slightly brighter than the Nad but both had good deep bass.Not sure about the CD67 II se but I am using a Marantz CD7300 with the PM7200 and its sounds fine but my speakers are AE evo3 you might find the Nad goes better with the brighter B&W speakers. I dont think you will go wrong whichever amp you choose as both are good.

ting
Unregistered guest
Hi Will and Ian,
Thank you guys very much for your valuable input.
Yesterday I took my CD67MKIISE and my baby BW to the store. first I matched them with amp Maranzt PM17(nearly double price of PM7200)the combo slightly muddy the sound, especially weak bass.
The second combination i matched them with PM7200. That's amazing, excellence. HF is very smooth, MF is warm especially deep bass(that's my expectation)
I decided to order PM7200. Set up my new combo at home but I am not happy because the HF and MF are not as smooth and warm as i found at store. a litle bit bright and hash. I phoned to store and he said that the amp needs to burn-in 100hs. Now I feel happy again, realized that the amp i tested at store is the burned-in one for demo.
After burned-in my amp I'll tell u more...
Good luck to U guys

Post Number: 2
I found the sound a little thin when I first tried it at home...I turned the bass up on the tone controls to compensate and it thickened the sound up. Now the amp has been used a while the sound has mellowed out and using the tone control makes it sound TOO warm, so now I listen with the tone bypass on. Just give it time. PS let us know what you think of the class A.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 291
The PM7200 is a way better amp than the little Nad, it has a much thicker sound with deeper bass. Glad you're liking it! Room placement, room size, furnishings and floors can all influence the sound so it is never going to sound the same as it did at the dealer's. Yes a burn-in will alter the sound a little but not dramatically in my experience - certainly not with amps or cd players.

Post Number: 3
Burn is still a bit of a mystery to me with amps and cd players but I stiil felt the marantz pm7200 was bright and thin when I first tried it at home turning the bass up helped a lot but now I can listen with the tone controls bypassed.It could be my ears adjusting the more detailed sound.I believe there is a definate run in time for speakers however.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 293
Yes, speakers definitely need running-in. They have a mechanical aspect to their operation (the cones and drivers) unlike amplifiers etc. As for burning-in amplifiers and cd players, I am convinced that it's more a question of the listener getting used to the sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us