Strange TEAC Receiver Power Problem

Unregistered guest
So I have a Teac AG series receiver that is constantly giving me power problems. I thought I solved the problem by replacing the frayed power cord. As soon as I finished soldering the new cord the Teac powered up as it should. After I moved it two inches, it refuses to power up again. After every time I re-solder the connections it powers up, but if the cord or receiver is moved even a fraction of an inch it dies. I have repeated this process with several cords only to the same result. Any, and I mean ANY, suggestions you have would be awesome. Thanks.
p.s. I know Teac is crap but I am a poor college kid.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6128

Obviously it's not the power cord. There is probably a cold solder joint in the power supply or even just the power switch. There isn't much you can do to find a cold solder joint without some diagnostic tools other than hunt it down. Be very careful or you will be a poor college kid no longer.

Unregistered guest
Well the switch tested functional so that can be eliminated. I understand your thoughts on the power supply, but why would my soldering repair the problem temporarily? <- This is the root of all my confusion, why does it work and then die.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6130

Because there's a cold solder joint somewhere. The solder joint will look good until you examine it very closely; sometimes you need a magnifying glass to see the fissures in the joint. When the receiver is moved or some how changed in position, the solder joint is "made" until the receiver is moved or warms up or just stops making a good connection. It's very likely the connection is bad underneath a circuit board where you can't see the bad joint. There's also the possibility of a cracked trace on one of the power supply boards. Or,there may be a cracked lead going into a capacitor or resistor. All of these situations cause temporary connections and long term headaches.

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 112
yep jan has got your answer, that was going to be my guess.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us