Jvc hdmi vs. harmon kardon optical digital

Username: Jamie52

Neptune, NJ

Post Number: 2
heres my problem. I can get a JVC reciever with dual hdmi inputs and one output for 470. or should i get a harmon kardon reciever and run hdmi into tv from dvd and hdtv and just run a optical digital from tv back to reciever. guy at 6th ave said running optical is just like having 2 ch. stereo. please help. looking to get Harman Kardon Surround Sound Receiver AVR240

Gvenk
Unregistered guest
See my reply to your other post on what the audio output from the TV will/can be.

So in theory it is possible to run the HDMI to the TV and get the digital audio out to the HK receiver. There are pros and cons to this solution.

Pros:
The video from the DVD will stay in digital format to the TV and so will not suffer from any analog conversion or cable losses/interference until it gets to the TV. The audio will also stay in digital format until it reaches the receiver with the same benefits.

Cons: Increases signal path for audio that depending on the equipment MAY result in "lip-sync" problems. For example, based on the processing in the TV and/or the receiver, the audio may be delayed compared to the video. There is nothing you can do to speed up the audio. Typically this shouldn't be a problem in most systems.

The other (minor) problem is that in the above set up, you will likely land up using mutiple remotes and controls to get the a/v each time you turn it on.

The JVC solution with the HDMI in/out reduces the number/length of cables, may reduce the number of remotes to use and has the same digital transmission benefits as above BUT the "lip-sync" problem may be worse in this setup IF JVC does not have a delay control in it.

The reason is that audio processing is typically faster than the video processing and so the JVC may put out the audio from the HDMI faster than the TV can display the video. So most good receivers will provide a way to intentionally delay the audio in increments. If the JVC does not have this, then stay away from the above solution.

The HK in general has better receivers than the JVC so that is a better solution at this time given the above but a better solution is to buy the cheapest you can for now and wait for the good components to inherit the HDMI capabilities over the next 12 months.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us