5/7.1 Receiver Comparison Please?

Bronze Member
Username: Mvyvoda

Post Number: 42
I have been searching this forum for hours now with only little to show. I am looking for a receiver for ~$150 - 300 that is comparable to the following. the reason i would prefer 5.1 is i have a 5.1 set-up and don't really care about 7.1 that much, as it's not supported by movies yet. I really want the denon 3805, but can't afford it (side note).

5.1:
Onkyo TX-SR303: $180

7.1:
Onkyo TX-SR503: $260 ($194 Refurbished)
Panasonic SA-XR55K: $222 - Edster seems to recommend this all the time (does he have a deal with them or something?)

thanks,
mark

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2516
no, unfortunately Panasonic doesn't pay me a dime for all my labors---feel free to lobby them on my behalf, of course!

Of those 3 receivers, there is no question the Panny would wipe the floor with them. Onkyo's main merit is its ease of use, and its gadget-geek feature list. In actual SQ and power it lags behind the likes of Denon, HK, Marantz, and NAD. And as you know from my own review of the xr55, it clearly outclassed and outperformed my Marantz 5400 and NAD separates which would cost 3 and 6 times more respectively.

So given that bit of personal experience, it is hard for me NOT to recommend it enthusiastically and often, especially given that very few people are even aware that this all-digital technology exists.

As for 5.1 or 7.1, just because you have a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver does not mean that you CANNOT run only 5 speakers on it.

But, like I often tell other people, don't take my word for it---order both the xr55 and one of those Onkyos, AB them at home, return the one you like less.

Bronze Member
Username: Mvyvoda

Post Number: 43
well, you've sold me. the panny it is. and i'm one of those weirdos who actually does write to companies... just ask Jan how annoying i am :-) Edster from Ecoustics... check!

thanks man, i appreciate it. i'll let this thread know how it goes.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2519
this is a year old, but here's another Panny convert, but sounds like he's coming from a much higher-dollar audio background than me:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=amp&m=36537

Interesting thing is that he was/is a TUBE guy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us