How to clean an old receiver ????

Bronze Member
Username: Mrgooch

Nj

Post Number: 18
I will be attempting to "clean" a vintage and working receiver. Any tips as to where do I begin and what materials to use.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6074

You will need; a can of compressed air to blow dust off components, a can of cleaner with a plastic spout/nozzle to get into controls and small connectors, a bottle of cleaner to clean the large surfaces of RCA jacks and plugs* and a handful of Q-tips. If this is a solid state (transistor) amplifier, that should do it. If it is a vacuum tube device, add some toothpicks and a pencil eraser to the list.

Before I can tell you what to do, tell me what you're cleaning and whether it has been running for more than a few weeks. Also, how adept are you with just basic skills with electronics and why you want to clean this receiver. Is it just dirty or are you having problems that need correcting?

Bronze Member
Username: Mrgooch

Nj

Post Number: 19
I am just assuming that the connections will be oxidized and the inside might be dusty. I haven't received it yet so I don't know about the knobs. It's a Pioneer SX-750

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6075

As long as you know its working before you begin cleaning, you need to take a Q-tip to the jacks on the back of the receiver. Use a full Q-tip for the outside of the connector and strip off most of the cotton to get to the inside of the positive connection. Do this with the receiver's top cover off so you can see what you are doing. Blow any accumulated dust off the components with the compressed air. Any press-on connections inside the receiver should be cleaned. Take the can of spray cleaner to the controls and move the volume, balance and any switches as you spray inside the housing for those controls. Do not spray anything into the tuner assembly. Use the minimum amount of cleaning fluid to get the job done. Drenching the inside of the receievr with fluid will not be of any help once the connection is clean. Do not take any sort of abrasive cleaner to the connections. Since these will be nickel plated jacks, you can get a reasonable amount of gunk off the jacks but they will probably not return to like new condition. Clean until no more oxidation comes off on the Q-tip.

The best cleaning fluid for this job is Pro Gold which can be purchased at Audio Advisors and several on line sellers. If you have a pro audio shop in your area, they probably sell Pro Gold over the counter.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=CAIPG7.5ML

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us