Music lover Teenager with a very limited budget

Anonymous

Hi everyone,

after working part-time I just put togheter $885 for my first audio system. I know that my budget is very limited but nothing to do about it. :-(

So, I am wondering if anyone can help me to decide for a stereo system that will fit my budget.

What I need:
- an intgrated amp (or pre and amp)
- a tuner ( or a receiver)
- 2 speakers.

Any advise is highly appreciated.
Thank you

Anonymous

I forgot to mention the kind of music for this system - because probably it matters.
So, clasical (especially piano and guitar),
jazz, some folk, some rock, new-age.

Anonymous

And I forgot to mention something else, ouff.
I don't need to much power as long as I audition @ moderate to low levels. So, what I need is a system to sound smooth, clear and natural, without overemphasized bass or highs. I would be more than happy to have at least the mids well delivered within this budget.

Bronze Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 59
Do you need a high quality separate tuner or is a receiver enough?

NAD C320Bee amp sounds great and will fit nicely in your system. You might want to look for a cheap tuner, or buy the little expensive NAD C422.

For speakers look for ex. Tannoy Mercury MX2-M or B&W DM601 S3. If you find a cheap tuner you should check also the Dynaudio Audience 42, they work fine with NAD and sound very good.

Anonymous

I think you are right about the Dynaudio 42. And I will go with them. So, supposing the speakers it will cost me $400, my budget left it will be $455 for a stereo receiver or an integrated amp & tuner. Anyone heard something about the new Outlaw stereo receiver?

Thank you very much landroval

Anonymous

ouff, I forgot to mention that the tuner is quit important in my setup as long as I listen a lot to radio.

Bronze Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 60
Stereo-receivers are not that good, too often the amp is weak and the tuner is very bad and hard to use. Go for a separate integrated amp and separate tuner. BTW do you need a DAB digital tuner?

A good option for NAD is Cambridge Audio. I have no idea what they cost there where you live, but you should be able to buy the Azur 540A or 640A. Although I think that with Dynaudio NAD is better than CA. Rotel RA-01 is nice too.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 116
The question reminds me of the day when I bought my first serious stereo system, a Parasound receiver and Polk bookshelf speakers for about the amount that you've budgeted. Unfortunately, most hi-fi companies have abandoned the affordable stereo receiver market to mass-market manufacturers, which leaves an integrated amp and tuner as the only alternative for quality sound at this price point. In addition to the NAD amp suggested above, you should check out Cambridge Audio, Creek, Arcam and Rega amps. Better yet, try the used market. Amps tend to last a long time and even a used one from these brands should be fairly reliable. I don't listen to the radio so don't have any tuner recommendations.

Good luck and hope you have fun putting your system together.

Anonymous

It was a dream that I could find the Dyna 42W for $400. I wasn't able to find them. My canadian dealer quoted $1300. Such a jerk. It seems that I have to go with Ascend Acustics CMB-170 for $328. Do I have any other better options in this price range: 300-450?

Thank you

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 499
Anon:

Congratulations on your accomplishment! I have a teenage daughter, and I have watched the money she gets evaporate (I suspect I was the same way at her age), so for a teenager to state he/she has saved nearly $900, I must say I am truly impressed. It is enough money to get something pretty special.

I am going to suggest something that is truly an incredible buy, and it will remain within your budget. I hope this is helpful to you.

It is clear you want a tuner, so I am going to dismiss the idea of an integrated amp because I know of a great receiver. If you go to the website for DMC Electronics, you will find an NAD T742 receiver for $399 on closeout. This receiver is a 50 wpc x 5 receiver that is better than any stereo receiver unless you go all the way up to a Rotel RX-1050 ($800). In stereo, it does a solid 60 wpc with headroom of 90 wpc, so it has a lot of real power. Also provides a base for a later upgrade up a HT system later if you so choose, but it is a very good stereo receiver in its own right. Most of all, it meets your criteria of providing a smooth, clear and natural sound.

Now, you have not told us what type of speakers you want, but I can recommend several good ones. Each of these speakers image beautifully:

1. The best choice for your music preferences and your budget is the Epos EPL-3s, for $300/pair. I know this sounds too good to be true, but this is a superb little speaker that sounds much more natural and lifelike than most speakers under $1K. Stereophile loved it, giving it one of the most effusive reviews I have ever seen. Stereophile also named it their budget component of the year. They are hard to find, but here is a link to Audio Advisor, which sells them with a 30 day money back trial period:

http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=EPOELS3&product_name=ELS3%20 Mini%20Monitor%20Speakers%20in%20Cherry%20-%20Pair

Now, some people don;t think they ESL3s have enough bass (they have enough for a small room like a bedroom), but if you want something a bit larger, I have a couple of good choices.

2. Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 for $328/pair. Available company direct, they also come with a 30 day home trial perios with a money back guarantee. Winner of many awards and they have been widely praised by reviewers for the last couple of years, for their smooth, articulate sound. Here is the link to their website:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/main/intro/firstpage.asp

3. My final suggestion are a bit of a stretch for your budget, but you can get the NHT SB-3s for $470/pair from Kiefs (www.kiefs.com). I absolutely love these speakers, which are very rich sounding, with a wide, smooth frequency response. They simply hit every note right without the slightest hint of "honkiness" or chuffing. They have a very deep soundstage, too. They are one of the very few acoustic suspension speakers still made, but they go down to 38 Hz +/- 3db according to their literature.

I highly recommend all three of these speakers as a great choice on their own and a superb match with the NAD receiver.

Good luck!

Anonymous

Thank you very much Hawk. I looked to Epos specs and reviews and they seem to be fine. So, supposing that I will go with them -
I have to decide either to hurry up and buy one of the last NAD T742 left, or
- to wait for the Outlaw RR... Stereo Receiver.

I have no problem to wait, but would you expect the Outlaw to serve me better than NAD in stereo (because I am not interested to upgrade to surround in the forseeble future.

Anonymous

It happens again. The canadian dealer of Epos quoted $500 for the Epos EPL-3s. Way to much.
So, I have no other choice but to go with Ascend Acoustics CBM-170.

And I think I will wait for the Outlaw stereo receiver and I hope it will be within my price range.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us