Need help to assemble my left over Infinity speakers

Username: Ajon

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,
I am new here and here is my problem.
I have a Sony TV and a Phillips DVD Player Model DVD625K.
That is basically the only thing I use right now. But after searching my garage I found these old speakers that was used for my old home theater. 2 big size infinity speakers and another 2 smaller Infinity speakers for the rear and 1 for the center. My family used them around 8 years ago.
All of them have the red and black sockets at the back where you push the needle-like cable and lock them.(Do I just confuse you?).

My question is how do I connect these 4 speakers to my DVD player?
My DVD has the usual red and whote output and also a black circle labeled "COAXIAL".
What thing do I need to get?
Is it possible to achieve a successfull setups with less that 200 bucks?
How will the setup sound?

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 255
RonLio,

There was a question similar to this last week sometime. You need a receiver (or some other sort of amplification) plain and simple. It is not possible to connect your DVD player directly to the speakers. It is possible to get a receiver that sounds decent for under $200, but obviously, it would be better if you could have a little bit larger budget. The step up in sound quality that could come from increasing your budget even a couple hundred dollars will be astounding.

The "coaxial" is a digital coaxial output...to connect a digial coax cable to a receiver.

Also, to get true "surround sound" these days, you need at least 5 speakers...two fronts, a center, and two surrounds.

Post Number: 2
Alright, great now I can use those speakers!!!
What kind of amplifiers do I need to get?
Just any amplifier?

Any recomendations for someone on a tight budget?
Any particular brand and models?

Thanks!

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 258
RonLio,

If you want surround sound on this type of budget, you definately need a receiver. A simple stereo amp will not do you any good if you want surround sound.

As for specific models, it would help if you could give some more information about your speakers. If possible, try to find out what the resistence is (8 ohm, 6 ohm, etc). At this price level, it is going to be VERY hard for you to find a receiver to drive any speakers with a resistence lower than 8 ohms.

Like I said, if you could open your budget by even a couple hundred dollars, your number of choices would increase greatly.

Post Number: 3
Oh yes, I was refering to a receiver, that's what I want to get.
I will check the resistance of my speakers tonight.

Acctually I dont really mind spending a couple more hundred dollar as long as it's worth it... you see these speakers are 10 years old.

They sounded preety good 1- years ago... I dont know how they perform by today's standard.

Anyway it's a wooden speakers with a black cotton mesh convering the front. then the logo infinity is very small at the bottom.... anyone familiar with this speakers?

Thanks!

Post Number: 4
For your information the font speakers are about 80cm high and the back are around 30cm high... if that helps.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 260
RonLio,

I definately think that spending a little more than $200 on a receiver will be worth it. I only know of one receiver UNDER $200 that I would recommend to anyone...and that is refurbished. Once you reach the $400 level and up, your choices become much more numerous and the sound quality increases greatly as well.

The reason I am so interested in the resistence of your speakers is that at this price level, most receivers simply do not have enough power to drive lower resistence speakers (4 ohm). Regardless of price, it would be pointless for you to get a receiver that does not have the power to drive your speakers. If your speakers are relatively efficient 8ohm speakers, power will likely not be an issue.

Physical size really doesn't matter in terms of resistence. You will probably have to find the instruction manual to the speakers in order to find out the resistence/efficiency. You will at least need a model number...with that you can probably search the internet and find out what the resistence and efficiency of those speakers are.

Post Number: 5
I have checked, the front speakers are RS5000(135Watt), they are 6ohms and the rear are the RS2000(75Watt) which are also 6 ohms.
So I guess I wont have a hard time finding a decent receiver for them.

So what features from the receiver do I need to look for? Any particular brand or model?

Post Number: 6
btw Johnny,

Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 264
RonLio,

Thank you for finding that information. It makes things a whole lot easier. Infinity speakers, while great sounding, do tend to sound a little on the bright side. Therefore, they should be matched with a receiver that is warm sounding, thus evening out some of the brighness from the speakers. I will recommend 3 different receivers.

1. NAD T742. 50w x 5. Don't let the low power ratings of this unit fool you. It provides a lot of punch for the money. NAD rates the power output of their receivers in a different manner than some of the other mass-market brands, so in real world situations, this unit will out power many other receivers that claim to have twice as much power. I own an NAD receiver and absolutely love it. NAD receivers are very detailed and clear sounding. This receiver started out with a retail of around $700, but as it is being replaced by a newer model, it can be had for under $450 from www.saturdayaudio.com. I bought my receiver from Saturday Audio and highly recommend them.

2. Harman Kardon AVR-130-45w x 5. Once again, don't be fooled by the lower power rating of the HK. It is also rated very conservatively and will provide a lot of punch. HK is knowns for having a very warm sound, which would make it an excellent match for your Infinity speakers. At this price range, HK receivers are some of the best out there. Their high current design will provide lots of extra power when needed. This product retails for $400 but can probably be had for less if you search the internet for awhile. You can audition it at your local Circuit City, although I wouldn't buy from them just out of principle (provided you live in the US).

3. Marantz SR4400-80w x 6-once again, Marantz receivers are known for having a very warm and inviting sound...a perfect match for Infinity speakers. This unit retails for $429 but I have seen it for as low as $350 on the internet.

As far as features go, at this price level, you won't get too many options. Just make sure whatever unit you choose has a good remote and Dolby Pro Logic II, and other than that, you should be good to go as far as features.

Above all, just let your ears be the judge. Try to go audition some of the units I listed above and see what you like. In the end, you are going to be the one listening to this receiver day in and day out, so your opinion is the only one that matters...not mine or anyone elses.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!!

Post Number: 7
Johnny,

Thanks for the recomendations. Actuallly I am in Indonesia and the problem with the stores here are they only stock the higher ends of each products, but I will try to look around today and ask for their recomendation as well.
I will inform you of the outcome tonight.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 265
RonLio,

Sorry, I guess I should have asked your location first. What brands do you have in your area?

Post Number: 8
Jhonny,

All the 3 receivers you mentioned above, they have it here and the price is cheaper!
(I too am amazed).

But in the end I go with the Denon AVR1604.... it cost me around US$240.
The dude asked me to bring it home and try it first and if I am not satisfied I can return it anytime.... and so far I like it a lot. I might hang on to it for a while.

Now I have another Q though.
I am helping my brother to make his HT.
He has a budget of US$10.000 for everything except the TV. The shop suggested the HK AVR8500 and HK Rowan for the amp and pre-amp(???) (The names might be wrong as I can not read the notes clearly). The stuff cost around $2000 and $400 respectively. Will these items be suitable for him? What speakers brand would you recomend? He's just as clueless about HT as me.

Thanks!

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 267
RonLio,

I am afraid that I will probably not be much help here as I am a little confused by the model numbers that you give for those HK products. First, you mention the HK AVR8500 as being an amp? As far as I know, there is no such thing in HK's lineup, anything with the "AVR" in front of it signifies a receiver, not an amp. As far as I can tell, HK only offers two amps, the PA 2000 and the PA 4000...and neither is to be used as a stand alone amp as I understand it...they are only to be used in conjunction with another amp to power additional channels or zones. I looked through HK's website quite thoroughly, and I can't find that they offer any pre-amps at all. I don't have as much experience with products in this price range, so I don't know how much help I will be on this one...sorry.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us