Decent CD Changer?

I haven't had much luck with soliciting people's opinions on here (I thought opinions were a dime a dozen!) but here goes.

I'm still using an old Pioneer 100 CD changer - one of the first changers that came out. But, I am interested in quality and have considered going to a high end single disc player. It seems to me - from what I have seen anyway - that high capacity changers and quality are two incompatible concepts? Is this true? Are their any "near Hi-end" CD Changers with a 200 or more CD capacity?

The main reason I am wondering, is, as a person with a physical disability, I really love the convenience of having 1 or 2 hundred CD's stored in one unit and not having to fumble around with individual CD's.

Any ideas?

Dave

Mark Meyers
Hi,
I have the Kenwood Dv-6050, the 400 disc cd/dvd player. It's progressive scan, and has been great. Kenwood tech support is terrible tho....

Anonymous
Dave: Pioneer elite PDF-17 (www.brandnamez.com -$278) probably is a little better than simply pioneer, but you are right - Single players do sound better, and some multi disk players scratch the cds, so I would burn a copy and only put copies into them. Sony CDPM333es is probably even better (www.plazmaplus.com - $409). The pioneer elite handles 100 cds, while the sony one can handle upto 400. You might want to check the reviews on www.audioreview.com

Greg Stern
As the "bean counters" of CD manufacturers want to hit a price point, there is little doubt that the Digital Audio Converters (DAC's) in a $400 single disc player and one in a $400-$500 200 disc player is undoubtedly of different quality. Otherwise, they read the same digital bits equally. But a good DAC is the main thing that differentiates sound in CD players. So unless you have an outboard DAC you will compromise in sound, particularly in large size magazine systems---unless they are expensive. Of course, most people given a double blind test would be hard-pressed to notice the difference. So go get a good SONY or Marantz (which are generally known for having good DAC's)and listen away.

Greg
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us